Forums

Help › Forums

Tekoma's Putting Techniques vol.1

Thu, Apr 13 2023 9:02 AM (310 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 8:20 PM

Tekoma:

If you are not accustomed to reading the breaks and don't know how much approx you need to aim, you will then have a tough time using my methods. As I said to you before, to be able to use my methods, you must be able to read the breaks approx..start playing in practice mode...get used to the flow, trial and error until you get the feeling how breaks work...then try out my methods.

Maybe a video on reading breaks?? thanks for the advice

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 9:41 PM

TracyMax:

Tekoma:

If you are not accustomed to reading the breaks and don't know how much approx you need to aim, you will then have a tough time using my methods. As I said to you before, to be able to use my methods, you must be able to read the breaks approx..start playing in practice mode...get used to the flow, trial and error until you get the feeling how breaks work...then try out my methods.

Maybe a video on reading breaks?? thanks for the advice

Just my 2 cents about it...Some players use calculations and rulers (aka putter pal, etc.) to figure how much power to use to hit a 20 foot putt, for example. Then they adjust for the break. When I practice I'll calculate the green speed and the power. Then I'll move the aim. If the putt goes too far right I figure I have to re-adjust my aim & power calculation.

Trial and error.

But if you're playing by feel, or whatever you call it when you're not taking notes on how much power you are trying for on a certain green speed etc. then it might hard to fine tune the results of your trial and error. See what I'm saying?

Power and aim go hand-in-hand so take note how much power you used, how far you aimed, and what the dots and slopes were like on the green.

Long story short, I'm just saying if you're taking notes on calculations, recording the results of your practice putts, then after several days you should have a good idea on what you're doing wrong.

Then apply tek's technique. That's how I found results.

Now some people claim that the programming has changed and the technique is getting different results but I haven't been playing as often so I don't have conclusive ideas about that topic.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2015 11:21 PM

OR, get a online ruler that overlays, go to practice mode, get on a green with a 10ft putt, look at the grid dots speed, putt directly at the hole, then measure the distance you missed by...

then use a mulligan, apply that measurement to the next putt and see if it goes, if not add that distance too...once it goes, then use another mulligan change the aim and hit it softer and harder until it goes everytime...

then set up another putt from a different angle, different break, etc. and do it again...

if you read putts so poorly you have to resort to this, after a couple hours you will still be a cr@ppy putter BUT, you will at least have a clue/benchmark imprinted in your brain as to about how much that putt or a similar putt will break, and that's when Teks system becomes a useful tool.....

then the hard part starts....

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2015 2:38 AM

fatdan:

OR, get a online ruler that overlays, go to practice mode, get on a green with a 10ft putt, look at the grid dots speed, putt directly at the hole, then measure the distance you missed by...

then use a mulligan, apply that measurement to the next putt and see if it goes, if not add that distance too...once it goes, then use another mulligan change the aim and hit it softer and harder until it goes everytime...

then set up another putt from a different angle, different break, etc. and do it again...

if you read putts so poorly you have to resort to this, after a couple hours you will still be a cr@ppy putter BUT, you will at least have a clue/benchmark imprinted in your brain as to about how much that putt or a similar putt will break, and that's when Teks system becomes a useful tool.....

then the hard part starts....

I actually do somethign like this but i use a real ruler, and put it up agaisnt my screen lol, i see how many boxes the put pases through and most speeds are 1 or 2 millimetres of movement from reverse view then hit with a bit off off ding, and it works ! allot of the time,

for longer n big break putts i use tekomas methods, but they are inconsistent at best, though i have made a few puts that i wouldn't of made using them, and when i do i write it down what method it was what green etc.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2015 2:57 PM

LOL.  Honestly, until WGT fixes DOT consistentcy issues any technique is going to be suboptimal.  I'm having a hard time understanding why in single player DOTs seem pretty "ok", however, in ALT games DOTs are all over the place.

Just weird when 10-15F in single player mode are easy putts and 5-6F in ALT games are almost impossible.  Like some people have meter problems and others don't.  The same seems to be true in MP games.  Some have crazy irractic DOTs all the time while others seem to be going on with business as usual.

Anyone know when WGT is planning the next patch/update?  It would be nice to have some consistency in ALT games.  I enjoy playing them but its very very taxing at the moment.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2015 4:13 PM

Tekoma:

Joshnosh:
    for longer n big break putts i use tekomas methods, but they are inconsistent at best, though i have made a few puts that i wouldn't of made using them, and when i do i write it down what method it was what green etc.

My bad Josh...I' ll make sure you don't see the next video..!

i said it some times works if your method was 100% and everyone could do it we would all be using it 1 putting every hole

RSS