Help › Forums

What's wrong with the wgt site?

Thu, Oct 14 2021 10:12 AM (77 replies)
  • dacrash
    465 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 10:02 AM

Games4Ever71:
    I just love how a big company site

This is where a lot of people go wrong.  WGT is NOT a large company.  It is basically a Pop and Pop shop. 2 guys with an idea.  A small business, few employees.  Just because the game is good, does not mean the company is large.  It is very small actually.

I have worked for mom and pop businesses before and for some reason, most just cant handle the work load and decisions needed to continue the business and keep up with the changes that need to be made.

Think about it. 10 people or so have to run the whole business.  Of those, some are office workers, a couple are programmers and the rest do nothing constructive but sit around drinking coffee, wine or whatever, golfing and eating lunch on the profits that they are raking in hand over fist.

WGT needs to grow up, stop being a pop and pop business, hire someone who knows what business is all about and get with the program.  However, history shows more businesses run like this fail than succeed.  Unfortunately, the latter is where WGT is headed.

• BeachedMulligan
    1,238 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 10:19 AM

dacrash:

Think about it. 10 people or so have to run the whole business.  Of those, some are office workers, a couple are programmers and the rest do nothing constructive but sit around drinking coffee, wine or whatever, golfing and eating lunch on the profits that they are raking in hand over fist.

dacrash:

WGT needs to grow up, stop being a pop and pop business, hire someone who knows what business is all about and get with the program.  However, history shows more businesses run like this fail than succeed.  Unfortunately, the latter is where WGT is headed.

Telling WGT to grow up tells me you have no idea what it takes to run a "Pop and Pop" business. Those kinds of small shops cant reach into their empty pockets and find stacks of cash. 

WGT is likely not making cash hand over fist. Otherwise they would be adding more courses on a much more regular basis. Giftcards going away is probly a good example of them trying to save a couple thousand a year. Which means cash is probly much much more of an issue than you think. 

For us to see a huge change in this game whether its adding more courses or finally fixing a bunch of the bugs everyone has reported dozens of times. It would probably take WGT selling the game to a huge company with major cash to invest. I dont think that will happen anytime soon. 

• abndave
    268 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 10:29 AM

LMAO    what a question

• dacrash
    465 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 10:50 AM

BeachedMulligan:
    Telling WGT to grow up tells me you have no idea what it takes to run a "Pop and Pop" business. Those kinds of small shops cant reach into their empty pockets and find stacks of cash. 

Yes I do.  The mom and pop shops I worked for either closed or just stayed open.  You are right about them not having cash access.  This does not apply to WGT as they have access to several cash cows and are not taking advantage of them.  Not to mention the thousands of dollars they receive from advertisers.  Then add the overpriced "virtual" equipment and the profits are there.  They also have partnered with Golf Channel and have access to funds that mom and pop don't have.  My point is they think like mom and pop and not like Golf Channel.

What I see happening is that the money is good, no one wants to give it up and therefore they stay stagnant with equipment and employees.

The very fact that they don't/cant fix the known bugs indicates my position.  The larger companies I have worked for, fixed what was wrong WHILE developing newer versions.

Oh well, I have fun most of the time and cuss at WGT the other.  I don't expect WGT to fix the known bugs and respond to any customer request to do so.

• BeachedMulligan
    1,238 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 11:17 AM

dacrash:
    This does not apply to WGT as they have access to several cash cows and are not taking advantage of them.  Not to mention the thousands of dollars they receive from advertisers.

Who are these cash cows?

Golf Channel may just be partnership. What makes you think WGT is getting money from them? Even if they are...do you think WGT can just say "Oh hey we need cash for 2 new courses, can we have $4,000,000 to shoot them?"

Even if they are only 10 employees. Whats the avg salary? 50K? So theres $500,000. They have told us its about $2,000,000 to shoot a new course. Which they do 1 a year now. So now were at $2.5M. Not even taking into accounting cost of the 2 Offices they have. (1 in SF and 1 in NY)

Show me $2.5M of income. Not a chance its from equipment and balls sales. 

I think WGT is probly barely breaking even. So Figure out those cash cows and tell me why they would ever be investing into WGT, when WGT isnt showing profits. 

I know im not giving my money to anyone who isnt showing a profit and cant tell me they are paying me back. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 11:40 AM

The basic problem is a "Pop'n'Pop" needs a Mom. The other reality is: that most of what is written here about conducting any going concern is written by people who don't know that they don't know.

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 11:58 AM

SweetiePie:

... The other reality is: that most of what is written here ... is written by people who don't know that they don't know.

As usual Ms. SP, you struck the nail on its' head. Brava.

Sitting here shaking my head and laughing.

+10

• BeachedMulligan
    1,238 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 12:12 PM

Well once WGT goes public I can analyze it for you mooks. :)

• dacrash
    465 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 1:07 PM

BeachedMulligan:
    Who are these cash cows?

Ball markers, creatable avatars, drinks on the course, being able to buy your playing partner a virtual beer for a good shot...the list goes on and on and on.  This is how the larger sites like poker sites and such get a lot of cash.  It is amazing what people will do with their imaginary money.  To be able to create an avatar with a watch, golf glove, different shoes etc is what a lot of people with credits to burn ask for.  Anything that is virtual only cost the programming.  There is no material, or storage needed for this.  Cash cow.  Just a miniscule amount of ways that WGT can tap into cash flow, but instead continue to ignore what it's customers what.

And all these ads we are bombarded with cost those companies thousands of dollars a month.

Obviously we have different opinions on the idea. 

So the world goes on and on, round and round.  Great human race.  My idea is better than your idea, my **** is bigger than your ****, no one can realize that no one is right.

• dacrash
    465 Posts
    Fri, Feb 14 2014 1:08 PM

SweetiePie:

The basic problem is a "Pop'n'Pop" needs a Mom. The other reality is: that most of what is written here about conducting any going concern is written by people who don't know that they don't know.

Absolutely.  Me included.  Just speaking from experience.

RSS