Forums

Help › Forums

VEM "Virtual Equipment Module”

Tue, May 3 2016 10:35 AM (104 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 1:17 PM

If you spent more time reading instead of berating , then you would see that I did answer your question fatdan . For those of us who have played long enough , then we know when the deviation , is kicking in . I dont expect to shoot low 50`s , that`s not my goal . My goal is to simply play and have fun . It`s funny how even though players know that vem does exist , how they try to deny it , when other players , or should I say newer players , complain about it . Are some players exempt from Vem , it has been suggested , in other threads . In truth , I honestly cant say , since I`m not there with them while they are playing the game .                                                                                                                                                                                              Maybe I didnt answer the question to your liking , but I did answer it . Also  , where do you get off , telling anyone here in the forums to STFU , because you dont like the thread , which they posted ? Yes that`s known as being disrespectful . So maybe if you dont like what other players say here in the forums , you need to stay away from the forums . If they dont want the advice given , then thats on them . It doesnt give you the right to berate them , or disrespect them or any one else for that matter . Again my 2 cents. :-)   

• Romax
    1,876 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 3:17 PM

I have read a lot  about VEM, but until today I wasn't sure it was even there or if it was, would ever effect an average player like me. 13 Kia.....  8 under and tee shot on the bell goes in the weeds and lost it.After a brief descriptive explosion I tee up another and hit exactly the same club on the bell. Now its in the rough on left of the fairway.(WTF  repeated.) There is no way a shot can vary that much without some mysterious intervention. Oh well....... finished 9 under with a double bogey on 13.  YAY !

AND  btw......I am not whining or bitchin', but just saying what I saw with my own eyes. :)

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 6:22 PM

YankeeJim:

VEM9000:
    the constant derogatoy remarks, and questioning of my parentage is taking a toll on my self esteem.

Awww, poor boopie, you feeling like a victim?

Good. Couldn't happen to a better machine.  LOL   :-P

LOL

• jcgfree
    1,109 Posts
    Wed, Feb 5 2014 10:54 AM

It is always amusing to read all the opinions on this subject. A lot of good points and I respect everyones opinion on the subject. We all play this game for a variety of reasons. It is truly a love hate relationship. I've heard it said that there are players that like the VEM, which may be true, but for the most part I think it is just tolerated. 

There are 3 types of players that play this game, Golfers, Gamers and those that just like to play a game with others and have fun with the banter and making that one great shot. The golfers understand the VEM and what it does for the game. They may hate it at critical points of a game but they tolerate it. It's a challenge to see if you can get better and how you stack up against the real good players. 

A gamer hates the VEM. And I understand that. It takes a lot of practice and coordination to get the timing of the meter, or what the wind, rough, sand and dots on the green do to the shot or putt. I think we all strive for perfection in this game and it is harder for a gamer to understand that the VEM makes this game more like real golf in a way. I don't consider myself a gamer, but I have played many a PlayStation game until I was so good at it, that it got boring and I lost interest.  I'm sure many of you have played Tiger Woods Golf until you were so good that it wasn't a challenge anymore. 

I know it sucks when you hit your snap and the VEM has kicked in and you lose a ball some how. Specially for someone that has a hard time affording this game. But if you watch real golf, you will see that even the best players play a lot of holes safe when they have to and rely on their putting skills. The green is one place I truly believe there should be no VEM. This is a place for you to truly let your skill in this game shine. It's tough enough putting when the dots are moving at different speeds or directions when you change views. Have you ever notice a putt that shows hardly any break, breaks way more than it showed and then when you go to take the next putt and you look at where your ball came from and the dots are moving faster than what you saw on original putt. That's where a good memory comes into this game. But the VEM should be taken out when you are putting IMO. 

I consider myself a good player. I have my streaks and slumps like everyone else. I had a chat with a player once and he asked me how I got to be such a good player. I told him that I have always asked players how they made that shot when they made a good shot. There is a lot of different ways to make a shot out there and you have to find what works best for you. Don't be afraid to ask the better players how they did that or for any tips. One of the biggest things is to make the correct selection of shot for the situation. So you really need to learn the chip, pitch, flop and punch. The great thing is now you can go in practice mode and use the mulligan to try different techniques to a shot. It will cost you 2 strokes on your ball for that though, you greedy soms of beeches WGT lol. 

Almost forgot. Don't always blame a shot on VEM. Some holes play long and some short. The same wind may play stronger or weaker on different holes. Look at the terrain around you. The trees or the hill or even the elevation will make the wind play different. The angle of the shot in some instances. If you've made a bad shot, assess what you may have done wrong and try and learn from it. 

• budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 6:58 AM

Very nice post. A well thought out presentation of opinion. You are correct about the ease of Tiger Woods. It just doesn't compare to the game here.

• SLAMINSAM123
    8 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 12:43 PM

cott have you tried thecoaee notebook ye y wgt  I bought it butt cant find it whle playing...

• denn13
    43 Posts
    Sat, Apr 12 2014 2:58 PM

I have been playing for about a year and a half now.  I love the game but I HATE V.E.M.  I not only consider it cheating on WGT's part, but it is also uneithical.  

I've bought a driver, and 3 wood and a putter.  BUT... I will not buy any more clubs.  What is the sense in buying better clubs and what good are they going to do if V.E.M. is turned on.  I can't see spending a lot of money to make better shots when they're just going to turn the V.E.M. on and screw up your shot anyway.  What good does it do to try and do better just to have the V.E.M. turned on.  

I have two monitors; I play on the right monitor and have a spread sheet open on the left monitor with 3 columns. (1) Yards to hole.  (2) Club to use  (3) how much (in yards) of the club should I use.  In other words, Example: If the hole is 79 yards, I have it already written down to use a P wedge at 83 yards.  So after 18 months I have it already figured out how hard to hit the ball to land close to the flag, then use the skills I have learned to putt...  IF the V.E.M. doesn't kick in.  

I play the game for two reasons.  To get better than I am, and to win the game.  I still to this day can not figure out the mindset of those who enjoy having WGT screw with your game and making you miss a shot.  To me that is just plain stupid.

If WGT wants to make the game harder I have no problem with that.  Hell, make the holes smaller.  Make the clubs not hit the ball as far, have stronger winds, more sand traps, more bunkers, faster slopes on the green...  WHATEVER, but until WGT stops screwing with my game and making me miss a shot when THEY decide for me to miss...  I WILL NOT buy more clubs and I've decided to start using house balls.  Leave my game alone, GET RID OF V.E.M. and I'll buy better clubs and balls.

Use the V.E.M. on the idiots who like it...

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Apr 12 2014 3:22 PM

denn13:
    Example: If the hole is 79 yards, I have it already written down to use a P wedge at 83 yards.  So after 18 months I have it already figured out how hard to hit the ball to land close to the flag,

Wut? lol.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Apr 12 2014 5:05 PM

denn13:
    I have two monitors; I play on the right monitor and have a spread sheet open on the left monitor with 3 columns. (1) Yards to hole.  (2) Club to use  (3) how much (in yards) of the club should I use.  In other words, Example: If the hole is 79 yards, I have it already written down to use a P wedge at 83 yards.

^^ Well that wasn't time well spent I feel...?

If the hole is 79 yrds away, why would you hit it 83 yrds ?

The sad truth is you are not very good at this game...YET

And the V.E.M. would only apply to you in a positive sense, it really has no need to temper your scoring...

Get some new wedges, hit me up for a game and I'll show you how to use them.

( you don't even need new irons, 4 o 5 under a Nine is achievable on most courses with them )

Andy

RSS