Help › Forums

VEM "Virtual Equipment Module”

Tue, May 3 2016 10:35 AM (104 replies)
  • chuddlymccannon
    298 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 8:02 AM

YankeeJim:

VEM9000:
    the constant derogatoy remarks, and questioning of my parentage is taking a toll on my self esteem.

Awww, poor boopie, you feeling like a victim?

Good. Couldn't happen to a better machine.  LOL   :-P

LMAO

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 9:27 AM

denn13:
    I see that WGT will never stop using V.E.M. to sabotage my game therefore I will never buy anything from the pro shop again.

You will never get better if you keep blaming VEM for bad shots.

You missed the point of my first post so I'll make it clearer for you.

By definition, VEM comes into play when you demonstrate improved skills.  And that improvement must exceed a certain threshold. 

I took the time to chart your scores on Kiawah front 9 over the last 3 months:

The trend line of your scores provided by Excel is flat.  You have shown NO improvement in scoring on Kiawah front 9 after playing it 174 times in 3 months!! 

Judging by your scoring, your skills haven't improved at all!

By definition VEM kicks in when your skills improve.

Its NOT VEM, its YOU man!

You haven't learned anything about playing that 9.

Forgetting your starter irons and wedges for a second, you should have learned where the straightest putts are.  You should have learned some of the difficult putts.  You should have learned where to drive and layup on #2.  You should know the putt to the right of the pin on #2 is uphill and you need to hit it harder.  You should have learned how to par hole #4.  You should have learned how not to drive through the fairway and how to clear that front bunker.  I could go on but suffice it to say I don't remember everything so I take notes and use them.

Now, if you say you know all that stuff and still can't improve because of VEM interfering know this:  I've been here a while and I've said this before, 98% of my WTF shots are my fault.  After looking at a replay and my calculations it is some error I made.  And I'm not a WGT a$$ kisser! (The other night on BP #4 in an AS I hit our approach like 10 yds long.  I immediately knew I had used the 75 yd wedge not my 60 yd wedge.  I didn't check my club before hitting because I got distracted by the wife coming home, dogs barking, etc., etc.  My bad.)

Stop blaming VEM for your poor shots.  It is NOT messing with you.  Try and find what you could have done wrong first and learn from your mistakes.

Now on to your clubs.....You have really low precision irons and wedges!  What that means is even when you ding the meter your ball will not often go where you aim.  With your L81 G20 280yd driver from the Master tees on Kiawah you should be getting a lot of wedge shots to the green.  Get some decent wedges and your game will improve immensely I'd bet.  And with the Cally L33 balls you like, you'll be throwing darts that stick.  The Ping Tour W wedges in the 40s level are IMO the best bang for the buck at 200cr each.  I'm still using them.

I hope I haven't wasted my time posting this advice to you.  Judging by your profile status "I'm over 65, retired and don't respond well to unwanted suggestions" I can't say I wasn't warned.  I know how we are.

Best to you,

Andy

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 9:41 AM

GREAT advice denn13     Hope you take it..You should be having fun playing this game. Learn to deal with VEM the way the rest of us have. WGT has a very good virtual golf game to play.....if you don't think so find another that is as good.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 11:03 AM

lonniescott711:

Because its not every single round , to where the game becomes totally unplayable . Right now , I`m having to deal with the scoring limitation . The game has me chasing my tail in a tourney . No matter what  I do , I cant get below -8 on an 18 hole tourney . Even though I can shoot 29 on both front and back 9 on this course , now , its a job just to shoot 5 - 6 under par . Then there are shots going long , or dropping short . Putts coming up short , and also meter spikes , when trying to hit the ball .                                                                                                                                                                                                 We get over it by simply playing the game . Yes it gets frustrating , when you know that you can play better than the game allows . I understand how the other player feels . All that they want is what many other players want , an honest game . They want what they are able to play for , with out interference from the game . Golf is a game of honesty and integrity , but thats not applied to this game . So before you berate , or belittle another player , ask your self how would you feel , if it was happening to you ? If you cant give them advice to help them , then dont  belittle , or disrespect them. My 2 cents . :-)

Berating???? Belittle ??? Disrespecting??? Bu!!sh!t !!!!! Advice! He got advice and still insisted he was right, it was wgt not him or his tools! I just made a post 3 days ago about the greens being slow, threatening to slow down my play because I was p!ssed off, guess what, the next round I hit those putts HARDER, and all was well...I also gripped about distances being off, I read a post, took the advice and used less spin and considered the fact that the mapping might be off on certain holes, not the clubs, so I went up or down 1 club on certain holes and FIXED IT! Wind too, b!tched about that, then it occurred to me that maybe this game is more realistic than I think. When I play real golf on a windy day, the wind blows, then stops, then blows again, never blows constantly around here, and when I play the British courses the wind usually pretty consistent with the number given, but much stronger on holes next to the ocean, made some adjustments and things seem better but the jury is still out...

I can honestly say that now that I have all the best equipment my dinged shots are always close to aiming point, and as soon as I hit it I know if it is going to be a bad shot because I MESSED UP the shot, and close when I hit them perfect!

I too have shot 26-27 on every 9 on every course except Merion fr9, and Oakmont fr 9, in fact I think -3 was my best at Oak fr 9....but I do it in weeklys, with restarts, like you probably do. I shot -10 on the front and back at STA, but I am hard pressed to shoot 59 when I play a single play 18 hole round!

I read 2 pages of a ridiculous rant by a guy blaming someone else because his starter clubs go offline!!!! Well DUH, so did mine!!! I FIXED IT after reading a post on equipment limitations!!!

Then I asked a question that you couldn't even answer!!!! So I will try again, "If VEM gets worse as you level up, or consistently play good, why is it that dozens upon dozens of the best legends/Tour Legends shoot 25-28 on any 9, on any course, without restarting, every single day"?????  Are they exempt from VEM? Why is it most of the rant threads are high level Masters/TM or legends with high averages who can't get better because WGT is holding them down, stealing their balls to make more profit, cheating them out of this, that , and the other because they are crooks, so they refuse to spend any more money on this screwed up site, while on the other hand all of chrisironbones rants are about only shooting a 27 or a 56 because VEM got him?

Forums are full of solutions and advice, different ways to do it and thing not to do, if you don't want to search for them or heed the advice given then STFU, tired of hearing it! This game is hard to master! Remember this too, without VEM(or cheating to you), every tournament could have 200 people tied for 1st with 49's or 50's, and another 1,000 tied with 51's...that's when I leave for sure!

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 11:20 AM

Well said Dan.

• denn13
    43 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 11:34 AM

fatdan:

OK, I get it, the higher your tier/level the more VEM messes with your game to hold you back....point made!

Now could you explain how so many Legends/Tour Legends, who according to your theory, deal with all VEM can throw at them, consistently shoot in the mid/high-20's and mid/high- 50's with WGT 's all out assault to make them play badly?

Can't wait to hear this!

How could I possibly have the information to that question?  I don't control the VEM...

Now let me ask you a question.  How could I possibly hit a ball to the green and land 1 foot away from the hole, and the next time using the same club under the same conditions (distance and wind) land 14 yards off the green?

And how could I have 8 mph winds blowing to my right and because of (meter problems) shoot the ball to the right... and the ball goes to the left of the hole?

My point is this... there should be NO VEM. it is unethical to change anyone's shot at anytime and as I've pointed out there are many other ways of making the game more challenging.  The game should ALWAYS be consistent and you should always be able to count on the ball going where you hit it, not where VEM decides where the ball should go, and if you think differently, then THAT'S bulls**t.  At the very least a golfer should have a choice of whether they want to have their game sabotaged by VEM or not. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 11:41 AM

denn13:
    How could I possibly hit a ball to the green and land 1 foot away, and the next time using the same club under the same conditions and distance land 14 yards off the green?

Andyson answered that quite nicely above. Read it and understand it, it answers a lot.

denn13:
    My point is this... there should be NO VEM

Therefore, you would be content sharing winnings with 999 other guys? 

denn13:
    The game should ALWAYS be consistent and you should always be able to count on the ball going where you hit it

Just like RL game is and how the pros count on it, not to mention their swing?

As for the same shot not doing the exact same thing? Well, that's kinda like the real thing but more importantly, THAT is a function of the clubs. Inferior clubs just don't perform like the better ones and this is how you see it. While I realize you may not have been able to experience RL golf, this game attempts to replicate it. Gamers don't get it and get frustrated. Sounds like that might be you. 2+2 does not equal 4 here.

I do believe you're missing the points in this thread. Not good for the stress-causes rants. ;-)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 11:43 AM

denn13:
    And how could I have 8 mph winds blowing to my right and because of (meter problems) shoot the ball to the right... and the ball goes to the left of the pin?

LMAO  Vem screwing with your meter now ?

Rest easy though, going by your posted scores vem will not be visiting you any time soon.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 12:13 PM

denn13:
    How could I possibly hit a ball to the green and land 1 foot away from the hole, and the next time using the same club under the same conditions (distance and wind) land 14 yards off the green?

As already said it's been answered by Anderson.  Just to add to that you need to concentrate on that.

Also maybe when doing that also think of this.

Your driving accuracy is fine - High Level nice driver;

Your approach play is saying time to improve - Low level, low precision wedges.

Now if I said to you 150 out; 8 MPH wind coming in from 2 Oclock, and say 3 feet up then what's the yardage Could you answer? Now if I then said what club did that yardage usually when you mapped your irons, and at what spin setting / power with which exact ball could you answer? 

The fact your two putts are OK suggests the shocking 1 putt stat is caused by the stress you put on your putting from mediocre approach play.

Read what Anderson said and understand it.

If you are serious about improving you need a nice high trajectory iron set.  Loads of threads on that.  You then need to map them to understand exactly what they do, and play having done that.  I think you may be surprised how much that will improve your game.

Forget all about VEM as you are NOT playing well enough, as it stands, for it to bother with you. No disrespect, just don't waste energy on what is absolutely NOT the cause of your woes.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2014 1:01 PM

denn13:
    Now let me ask you a question.  How could I possibly hit a ball to the green and land 1 foot away from the hole, and the next time using the same club under the same conditions (distance and wind) land 14 yards off the green?

And how could I have 8 mph winds blowing to my right and because of (meter problems) shoot the ball to the right... and the ball goes to the left of the hole?

Question1: You didn't, you hit a great shot(props to ya), then had a similar shot(not the same) you messed up somehow! It is virtually impossible to have the exact same shot unless you use the mulligan feature.

Question 2: Search  "how to draw a ball" and you will find the answer assuming your shot description in right.

RSS