Forums

Help › Forums

Advancing to a new tier

Mon, Mar 25 2024 8:08 PM (319 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 2:34 PM

Morton1768:
    Many will never attain the average necessary to move up, and that's a fact. Stock balls, stock clubs yada yada, are always upgraded to better and better to shorten/slow down/and control shot making. You're absolutely right that the length of holes becomes somewhat intimidating teeing off from the other hemisphere. WGT knows people's natural inclination to compete and you as a player will upgrade in order to compete, especially in the WGT tourneys.

You are right, that some players will never move up, and there is nothing wrong with that, provided the players play for fun, it is irrelevant if you shoot 55 or 95.

Yes, equipment does have a direct correlation with scoring, on the proviso you have actually taken the time to learn the game.

As you pointed out further in your post, I do play with some of the top equipment, including Nike balls. To be honest I play very little these days, so choose to use a better performing ball. If I went back to playing a lot, I would revert back to the level 35 Cally (best ball for the buck IMO).

Bear in mind, I played solely with starter equipment until I made Master - suddenly the length with starters clubs and balls was too difficult to score well (on the easier courses however, it is still possible to shoot par most holes).

It was a personal choice, and to be honest, I wish I had upgraded earlier with hindsight, as the game become even more fun, So until Legend, I used the G20's and lower level wedges with a Tour SD ball.

I really only started loving this game when I made it to the car park tees, as it became a real challenge, not a game of pitch and putt. Any player who opts for the easy way misses out IMO.

Yes, I have upgraded since, as that is my choice and with those upgrades, sure the game does become easier.......but you still have to hit the shots! 

Add to that, Legend was the top tier then, and there were no red tee tournaments.......so I guess I did earn the stripes!

Morton1768:
    Many of your stats, ranked rounds, show you play many tournaments at your club and I'm guessing probably not from the next hemisphere, unless you enjoy torturing yourself?

Oh dear Morton......yes most of my rounds are CC Tournaments - if it was not through the great bunch of misfits at the club, I would not be playing at all.

You may want to look at the roster of the players at CN.....and you will find many of these are some of the better WGT'ers who do well in WGT tournaments and the club is also the reigning "Finny's World Cup". 

To put it mildly, we virtually never play red tees as we like a challenge, unlike you who opts for the kiddies tees. 99% of our tournaments are single play, and personally I do not play a unlimited tourney more than once.

Morton1768:
    he Cosa Nostra 500 appears to be a your preference these days. Could you tell me the settings your Directors set on that particular tourney? I see you normally shoot around 29 or 30 on that 9 hole tourney. That's not great, but not too shabby.

Again, I do not churn out rounds (since the new XP system was implemented, I have never made the maximum daily XP of 880 points), but entered the CN500, which was a bracket for the record. 

Yes I played all four rounds as I was lucky enough to beat some of the best players.....

And all rounds were off default tees, only Tournament Speed greens though and the last two rounds were heavy winds. The courses were Congressional, Olympic, Merion and Chambers Bay - so not exactly the easiest courses.

I am far from being a great player, but can hold my own on a good day (sadly, they are not very frequent lol). 

Morton...the egg is well and truly on your face....you sound like a twat, and now look like one.

• Morton1768
    247 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 8:18 AM

I was with you until that last sentence.

No egg on my face, I'd rather have the latter on my face.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 10:40 PM

Morton1768:

I was with you until that last sentence.

No egg on my face, I'd rather have the latter on my face.

LOL.......Wonderful retort :)

• Gramps038
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jun 19 2017 3:33 PM

I don't agree. I have never hit below a 90 average and I hit Tour Pro when I was above 100. There has got to be something else in their algorithms. I would love to hit Master but at the way I am going, I will be 150 yrs old before I break 72!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jun 19 2017 11:17 PM

These were the old calculations:

• When you have played at least 5 ranked rounds as Hack- and your average score is equal to or lower than 100 you go from Hack to Amateur.
    • When you have played at least 10  ranked rounds as Amateur- and your average score is equal to or lower than 80 you go from Amateur to Pro.
    • When you have played at least 20 ranked rounds as Pro- and your average score is equal to or lower than 72 you go from Pro to Tour Pro
    • When you have played at least 30 ranked rounds as Tour Pro- and your average score is equal to or lower than 67 you go from Tour Pro to Master

Based on your score history, where you only have 43 ranked games, with a best score of 38 (or a 76),it is indeed odd.

Do you play on PC or mobile platform and did you transfer from Facebook?

Match play against higher tiers also counts, but there is no evidence if that in your profile nor does winning tournaments. 

Time for alosso to step in lol

Regardless you do have issues and I would hazard a guess this could be in hitting or getting close to the ding as your clubs are OK but GIR, scrambling and putting is not so good looking at stats.

I would happily have a round or two is timezones permit and give you some tips and advice.

• Gramps038
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jun 20 2017 6:56 AM

My biggest issue is the thumb on the phone for sure. Putting is next as I am always an inch or so from getting a bird. I also play on a Kindle Fire. I am East Coast USA.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jun 20 2017 1:10 PM

Unfortunately I only play on PC platform, and there is not cross-platform support. I tried the app once and did not like it, so cannot give any advice on how to improve using that platform.

I have a feeling there are different criteria for mobile users with regards to tiers, so you are probably right that there are some different imputations in the calculations.

Again, and has been mentioned many times, an exclusive forum for mobile users would be beneficial. 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jun 20 2017 1:47 PM

I tried playing on a phone, I completed one hole losing two Nike's along the way; app deleted.

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Wed, Jun 21 2017 6:54 AM

Image result for Cross-Platform Web DevelopmentImage result for Cross-Platform Web DevelopmentImage result for Cross-Platform Web Development

• Morton1768
    247 Posts
    Wed, Jun 28 2017 9:24 PM

Ya, you've at least got to get an Ipad or Samsung tablet. I tried my Stylo 2 phone one time and laughed with horror at how ridiculously hard it was. Practically impossible.

RSS