Forums

Help › Forums

Advancing to a new tier

Mon, Mar 25 2024 8:08 PM (319 replies)
  • SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Fri, Nov 5 2021 2:32 PM

HamdenPro:
    As Tour Master, I was playing match play against a Legend friend who, unknown to me, intentionally let me beat him in two matches. When we were done he asked me to look at my average, my average had gone way down and the next day I was a Legend (in WGT, I already was a Legend in the real world). Apparantly, winning match play, on the old version, against higher level players artificially lowers the average.

Correct.  WGT's HELP/FAQ page states this:

Do Match Play scores affect my Average Score or Tier ranking?

Yes, Match Play games do affect your score average and your tier ranking. If you play a match play game against a player of higher tier and win the match your score average will be affected which could affect your tier ranking.

https://www.wgt.com/help-flash.aspx#matchplay

HamdenPro:
    I figure if I find a Champion (Sam) or Tour Champion (Jill) who will let me beat them a few times in head to head, I could be a Champion.

Good luck with that 😁  Unfortunately, once you reach Legend tier, there is no longer any impact to your average for beating a higher-tiered player in Match Play.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2021 12:51 PM

SamSpayed:

Good luck with that 😁  Unfortunately, once you reach Legend tier, there is no longer any impact to your average for beating a higher-tiered player in Match Play.

Hi Sam, Is that written in stone somewhere? It would mean my end game would have me leaving the coin rooms to achieve Champ status? 

I've never seen my average score change regardless of who I play. Is it because I have not established a recent average score? My 79 was back when I was tour pro. I have not recorded a ranked game since becoming Master and then Tour Master. 

Thanks for all your help here on the boards. Much appreciated. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2021 11:35 PM

Duphpherer:
    SamSpayed:

Hi Sam, Is that written in stone somewhere

None of these rules have ever been published in detail by WGT - the community of players have made a lot of it transparent, but with gaps.

Duphpherer:
    It would mean my end game would have me leaving the coin rooms to achieve Champ status? 
    Sam addressed rated Match Play over 9 or 18 holes. Coin rooms are different matches which are considered practice rounds, as are HTHs, both outside of his remark. None of these will ever modify your average (sic!). That's why there are high tiers with 150 averages (the initial value) around.

OTOH, you may eventually tier up to Champ (and more) by playing these "mobile" games. There's another set of WGT rules to promote players by levels (XPs) and game success. These are mostly opaque to us because these players don't visit and talk to the forums much.

Enjoy your games!

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2021 6:42 AM

Duphpherer:
    Hi Sam, Is that written in stone somewhere? It would mean my end game would have me leaving the coin rooms to achieve Champ status? 

Can hit both Champion and Tour Champion only playing coin rooms. what the algorithm is who knows. 

I went from TL to champion a year or two ago with only around 69 Ranked Rounds played from when i hit TL. 99% of all i do is play coin games. rounds are few and far between.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2021 8:28 AM

Duphpherer:
    I've never seen my average score change regardless of who I play. Is it because I have not established a recent average score? My 79 was back when I was tour pro. I have not recorded a ranked game since becoming Master and then Tour Master. 

I believe you achieve ranked rounds to get an average. HTH and par3's, par5's, and Custom courses do not qualify.

Your CC is the best place to play friendly games on courses with ranked rounds. At least there you can make a round on a course of your choosing!

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2021 9:16 AM

I advanced to TL playing coin games as well.

In any event, I only piped in to express and observation, kinda a de ja vu moment actually...

It seems that many topics are discussed over, and over, and over again in the forum threads but they have been going on so long, people forget. I went through another thread "Average Required For Tour Champion" and found some interesting points (from April, 2020), specifically one by Robert1893 on April 23, 2020 @ 7:33 am (posted time)(Page 12 of the thread).

https://www.wgt.com/forums/p/387781/4263127.aspx

This is what I garnered from his post:

"We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played....Additionally, in response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging.... WGT is  using more than just ranked stroke play scores to determine each player's average score and appropriate tier ranking.... WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits"

I also remember reading in a thread that WGT ultimately decides when a member "may" advance to TC....it appeared there was not specific criteria to do so but more of an Honor bestowed...(whatever)...I imagine it is similar to how one is promoted to "Hall of Fame" (which there is a thread all about that as well). It seems TC and above is decided by WGT taking into consideration a variety of factors, none of which may have to do with actually having any lower average than a Champ...imho

Mythanatos:
    only playing coin rooms. what the algorithm is who knows. 

In another thread, from years ago, in discussing the mobile app, WGT_Champion had stated that, (on discussing the app), which coins rooms and matches are pretty much the same as what we are playing now,  (my words not his)..WGT has specific levels that will push the player to the next tier.  What those levels were, he did not say.

If interested, his post can be found here:

https://www.wgt.com/forums/p/531116/3605103.aspx#3605103

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2021 1:40 PM

DuFussMcGoo:
    I believe you achieve ranked rounds to get an average. HTH and par3's, par5's, and Custom courses do not qualify.
    True, but you don't need an average to tier up when you play "mobile" games.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 6:56 AM

HamdenPro:
    In another thread, from years ago, in discussing the mobile app, WGT_Champion had stated that, (on discussing the app), which is coins rooms and matches are pretty much the same as what we are playing now,  (my words not his)..WGT has specific levels that will push the player to the next tier.  What those levels were, he did not say.

I think Champion might be 114. but it might also include something to do with how many coins you have. Unfortunately it's impossible for me to know for sure when i only have one data point.

• Jtange152517
    4 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 8:07 AM

It is still confusing to me.  I have only played practice rounds and reached level 108 at Tour Pro. I recently played 2 ranked rounds and a couple of head to head matches and was promoted to Master.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 9:42 AM

Jtange152517:
    a couple of head to head matches and was promoted to Master.

As a Tour Pro defeating Masters in head to head, your average would have been artificially lowered which probably advanced you to Master (presuming you won). Now, all you have to do is beat some Legends and Tour Legends and you are on your way to far back tees and new clubs....good luck with that!!

RSS