Forums

Help › Forums

Green Speed

Thu, May 15 2014 2:02 PM (22 replies)
  • JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 2:22 PM

I think the sun must have been out on all the courses. The green speeds seem to have got even quicker. I'm playing tournament green speed and have been for a while, so I'm use to it. However, on my last few rounds the greens have seem to have got lightening fast.

It's not just one course. I know when I'm not putting well, but this is different. The ball is going 6ft past on a short putt. I don't understand it.

I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this. It's probably just me. I don't normally rant about anything. I take full responsibility for my bad play. This is just my observation. I'm just sharing it with others.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 2:59 PM

I haven't seen any significant deviation in Tournament green speeds today playing Kiawah, BPB, and Merion

• savoy251
    296 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 3:19 PM

i've noticed the same thing,ever since the last shut down for maintenence.got me scratching my head,putts stopping .2 from hole or shooting way past.don't know if its built in to test you or not.savoy251

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 3:38 PM

Okay, it must be me. Thanks for reply, ApexPC.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 4:03 PM

I play on championship greens but last night I was using the tournament green formula speeds, and coming up short on some holes...so for me they were slower lol....

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 4:30 PM

Could this be the difference in Tour Master Tournament and Legend Tournament speeds?

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 11:07 PM

Interesting. I was just looking at the consistency of the greens. For me the tournament greens were running away from me. I've played a few hundred stroke play rounds on them, so I should be use to them. I know when I'm putting badly, which is often lol, but these were off the scale on the stimpmeter.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 11:28 PM

Green speeds vary from time to time, I've been playing tournament greens for quite a while. The first green I get to is always a little nervous, play my normal variable rate ( /1.35) and see what happens then adjust as required. Sometimes more than once a day!

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 12:29 AM

Okay, Chinajohn. I didn't know that. It's the first time I've experienced such a change, apart from when I move up a tier.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:51 AM

Yep, just to expand on that, I believe there are several speeds within a "green speed" but in fairness usually are the same throughout the round. The first couple of putts sets the tone.

That said some holes/putts are naturally faster/slower and the putts will often speed up just before or after the hole - always  check  the line of the putt including beyond the hole for a guide.

RSS