Forums

Help › Forums

Green Speed

Thu, May 15 2014 2:02 PM (22 replies)
  • Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:57 AM

alanti:

Yep, just to expand on that, I believe there are several speeds within a "green speed" but in fairness usually are the same throughout the round. The first couple of putts sets the tone.

That said some holes/putts are naturally faster/slower and the putts will often speed up just before or after the hole - always  check  the line of the putt including beyond the hole for a guide.

my bold,

I've highlighted the key word in that accurate response. ;)

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:00 AM

I didn't know that, alanti.

I've just noticed that the tournament greens seem to be generally running faster, that's just the feeling I'm getting.

• Cadie
    33 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:43 AM

Every so often they do seem faster than at other times, (but hey what do I know) so I end up going past. Now on down hill or flat putts I do not mind but what gets me aggravated is when I have an uphill putt and I putt less than the distance to the hole the ball will run by 3 or 4 feet. Even if its still up hill past the hole

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:17 AM

Chinajohn:

Green speeds vary from time to time, I've been playing tournament greens for quite a while. The first green I get to is always a little nervous, play my normal variable rate ( /1.35) and see what happens then adjust as required. Sometimes more than once a day!

Interesting. I use /1.30 as my standard for tournament speed greens for flat putts over 5 feet from the cup. On some courses, like Merion, I find using /1.2 or /1.1 works better.

With my putter, the L 77+ Nike Method 00, and ball, L85+ Nike 20 XI-X RZN Vapor, inside of 5 feet I usually add a foot to the putt distance and miss the ding to allow for any break.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 3:27 AM

ApexPC:

Interesting. I use /1.30 as my standard for tournament speed greens for flat putts over 5 feet from the cup. On some courses, like Merion, I find using /1.2 or /1.1 works better.

With my putter, the L 77+ Nike Method 00, and ball, L85+ Nike 20 XI-X RZN Vapor, inside of 5 feet I usually add a foot to the putt distance and miss the ding to allow for any break.1 

I used 1.3 on tournament greens when I was a tour master but legend tournament greens are a bit faster and so I use 1.35 as my starting figure. Of course that varies from time to time, but it's usually a good start.  I use 1.1 on fast greens and 1.2 on very fast greens. I wouldn't even dream of using those on a tournament green, certainly not at Merion, the putt would end up on the next tee! 

I add 6ins to downhill putts and 12ins to uphill putts. I used to aim off and also miss ding when I used the Nike 001 putter, but since I switched to the Versa I've found it insists on the ding or I miss. 

Then of course there are variables on some holes, Olympic for instance I usually double the bias and I have more red notes on that course than any other.

• mikethe4
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:45 PM

Yes sir your right i first thought was me or the more you upgrade the more difficult it is but now that i read you am asking some question!

• jreinholz
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jan 21 2014 10:50 AM

I don't know if this is a factor but it appears all the puts seem to slow at the same rate and abruptly stop(as if all the greens had late afternoon Bermuda characteristics).  Marion is an example(having bent grass) Try an uphill putt.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jan 22 2014 11:52 AM

Although it is above my skill grade to calculate and I don't try, wind effects putting. 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Jan 30 2014 5:29 PM

Yep, but not until the effective wind speed gets up at or above about 15 mph.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, May 14 2014 6:00 PM

IMO

I would guess that the variation is happening again lately, at least on my end.

For a while it seems that a 'fast' green speed became a little more like the 'very fast' speed (after using my calculations) but lately the variation seems like it went back to how it was.

Natch, each game and/or course has a daily variation, at least a little bit. IMO

RSS