Forums

Help › Forums

Using the Pitch/Chip shot mode - putting green grid.

Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:07 AM (95 replies)
  • ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 2:27 PM

When the Pitch, Chip, or Flop shot mode is selected, holding down the left mouse button with your cursor on the Aiming point/distance/elevation box displays a movable putting green grid as long as the aiming point is somewhere on or near a green.

This feature is also useful for approach shots and for putting.

Edited for clarity:

If you will assume the Aiming box pointer is centered on a 20 foot by 20 foot square grid the grid becomes useful for adjusting your approach shot aiming point to allow for cross and quartering winds. You can also see break in the green so you can get an idea of how your ball will react once it lands on the green. See my next post in this thread for details on how to use the grid for adjusting your point of aim for wind.

Important Note: The Pitch/Chip/Flop putting grid only displays yards (never feet)- regardless which camera position you view it from, but always shows the same amount of area on the green. So if the grid looks smaller or larger, for measuring purposes it should still be considered a 20' x 20' square. Depending on the ball and clubs you use, you may decide assigning a different size to the grid square works better for you.

Once on the green and used for reading the break of a putt, the Pitch/Chip/Flop grid is an  8 yard x 8 yard square. 

For putts, the grid can be moved so the ball and the hole are in the same column, which makes reading putt break easier. Note - the Pitch/Chip shot mode grid is in yards and the grid has to be moved for putts that are more than 10 or so feet from the hole, and is less useful for long putts that are outside the full length of the grid (about 8 yards)

The grid from the Fairway: (for a larger image - Right click > Open image in new tab.)

Same hole from the camera behind the green. Note: both grids are the same 20 foot square and look different in size only because the 2 cameras are at different distances from the green.

Pitch/Chip shot mode grid on the green with the ball more than 10 feet from the hole. Note that since I'm using the Pitch/Chip shot mode the grid is in yards. Selecting the putter changes to the un-movable Putting grid and the distance changes to feet.

The grid moved so the ball is on the grid, and the ball and hole are in the same grid column.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 2:35 PM

ApexPC:
    The grid moved so the ball is on the grid, and the ball and hole are in the same grid column.

Interesting thought. You have to be careful, though, because the pitch carries over the majority of the dots. I like to pick the spot where it's going to land and then treat it like a putt from there.

Question on using the view for putting-when you have 2 different dot movements between forward and reverse views with the putter, should the pitch view be the one to believe as the 3rd view?

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 2:44 PM

When you are 100 yards from the hole -1 mph of wind that is 90° to the line of your shot requires moving the aiming point 1 foot into the wind - 1 mph x 1.00 = 1 foot.

When you are more or less than 100 yards from the hole you adjust.

If you are 167 yards from the hole convert 167  to 1.67 and multiply by the wind speed.

If the 90° cross wind is 10 mph, then move your aim point 16.7 feet into the wind (10 mph x 1.67 = 16.7 feet).

Another example is you have a shot that is 92 yards from the hole and you have the same 90° cross wind that is 10 mph. So then -  0.92 x 10 mph = 9.2 feet you move the aim point.

Wind is often at more or less than 90° to the line of your shot, or a quartering wind.

A quartering wind that is 45° (+ or -) use a factor of 0.7.

An example is a 12 mph wind that is at a 45° angle to the line of your shot that is 145 yards from the hole. The math is 12 mph x 0.7 x 1.45 = 12.18 feet you move your aim point on the green.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 2:50 PM

YankeeJim:

ApexPC:

Interesting thought. You have to be careful, though, because the pitch carries over the majority of the dots. I like to pick the spot where it's going to land and then treat it like a putt from there.

Question on using the view for putting-when you have 2 different dot movements between forward and reverse views with the putter, should the pitch view be the one to believe as the 3rd view?

On the green you don't pitch, you putt.

No doubt from off the green you use the grid relative to where the ball lands and the hole. A pitch shot flies further than a chip, so break in the green effects a pitch shot less than it does a chip shot having the same shot distance to the hole.

Once on the green just use the pitch/chip grid as an aid to reading the break of the green.

I never compare forward and reverse views when using the pitch/chip shot putting green grid.

There are no absolutes.

• commonguymd
    303 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 3:29 PM

ApexPC:

When you are 100 yards from the hole -1 mph of wind that is 90° to the line of your shot requires moving the aiming point 1 foot into the wind - 1 mph x 1.00 = 1 foot.

When you are more or less than 100 yards from the hole you adjust.

If you are 167 yards from the hole convert 167  to 1.67 and multiply by the wind speed.

If the 90° cross wind is 10 mph, then move your aim point 16.7 feet into the wind (10 mph x 1.67 = 16.7 feet).

Another example is you have a shot that is 92 yards from the hole and you have the same 90° cross wind that is 10 mph. So then -  0.92 x 10 mph = 9.2 feet you move the aim point.

Wind is often at more or less than 90° to the line of your shot, or a quartering wind.

An example is a 12 mph wind that is at a 45° angle to the line of your shot that is 145 yards from the hole. The math is 12 mph x 0.7 x 1.45 = 12.18 feet you move your aim point on the green.

Wow, thanks for that tip!  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 4:51 PM

ApexPC:
    On the green you don't pitch, you putt.

Of course you don't, that wasn't the question. If you never look at the reverse view in putting, the question I had is moot.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 7:28 PM

I do look at the reverse view when I use the normal putting grid.

I then use whichever view shows me the least break, though I prefer using the forward view most of the time.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 8:41 PM

ApexPC:

Using the Sine function with radians, I come up with .70883 with 12 MPH winds when you're at 45, 135, 225 and 215 degrees (or 8.5 MPH of actual wind force on the ball).  So we're really close ... my question is where did the 1' per 100' of distance (or 1%) come from?  Was it a WAG?  (as my Physics instructor loved to call it) 

No offense ... can you provide a bit of detail to show how you came up with the 1' per 100' at 1 mph wind?  I'm totally okay with the .7, just having a difficult time understanding the 1% rule.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 10:06 PM

DaddysKat:

Using the Sine function with radians, I come up with .70883 with 12 MPH winds when you're at 45, 135, 225 and 215 degrees (or 8.5 MPH of actual wind force on the ball). 

My head hurts.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 10:30 PM

courteneyfish:
    My head hurts.

Good answer CF!  I just might call my function "MyHeadHurts" in your honor.  What makes mine hurt is the BS 1' per 100 yards adjustment for each 1 mph of wind.  Where did that come from?

RSS