Forums

Help › Forums

Qualifying Round .... TUFF!

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 31 2009 9:29 PM (65 replies)
  • duhmattman
    2 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 1:14 AM

what is with this course, i'm good at golf games, but this isn't golf. I have to buy clubs to be able to qualify?? I mean that doesn't seem right. These starter clubs should be long enough to play a decent round. This isn't golf because i can't even reach the fairway on a few of the holes and the others are mostly full stregth approach shots, so there's no judging the distance...it's just hit it to the max and HOPE it actually gets there..usga shoulda done this on tiger woods golf of something....wgt set this up wrong

• JGAN
    22 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 5:32 AM

The game is suppose to be "realistic" -why would they design Bethpage Black to be easy?  I think it plays

as close to the actual course as possible.  Frustrating, yes(makes me feel at home with my real game). 

Great Job WGT!

• Lakkhana
    2 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:46 AM

Is it possible to get a 64 or to win the tournament with the starter clubs?

Discuss... lol

• Lakkhana
    2 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:48 AM

PS... what does everyone think the cut will be?

I just shot a 76..but think it will be about 71.

• bethpageBob
    1 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 8:59 AM

I birdied the first hole... 3 wood to about 5 feet.  Then proceeded to bogey, double & triple my way around the course.  Unbelievable.

• cNe81
    7 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 9:27 AM

bogey is officially the new par!

these par 4's play like par 5's

• maxamus
    10 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 10:10 AM

i shot a 73 today with starter clubs so its starting to get easier.

• portune
    2 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 10:11 AM

if they were trying to make the game more realistic i would have to say FAIL! if we are going to play from championship tees the clubs should hit championship distance. I've never played a real coarse that i could not get to the green on 90% of the par 4's with my second shot

• FreddyFox
    60 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 11:18 AM

Look guys, I know some of the shots are unfair (like 10's tee shot is impossible). But this is the US Open. If they designed it to where you could reach all the fairways and greens, you'd get everyone shooting Tibbets and AvatarLee-type scores. The holes where you have to get up and down from the fairway are designed to level out the scores. Remember, at the US Open, Even par is supposed to be a "great" score, not just a good one. WGT has succeeded in engineering the course to produce what seems initially like a good array of scores. We expect certain guys to go low, but I shot 71 and am in 8th right now. That's not too far off from what it will be during the real US Open. My only fix suggestion would be to give us a little wind help on 10 instead of in our face all the time. But other than that, it's very hard, and that's what the Open is supposed to be.

• Vorwald
    8 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 11:30 AM

What you people are not catching on to is this:

WGT is a BUSINESS.  They are in this to MAKE MONEY.  You got hooked playing for free as a hack on an easy course.  Now that they bring out an unreasonably difficult course with unplayable club distances, you feel pressure to spend money to upgrade clubs so you can get your fix.  Notice they haven't given access to very good upgrades yet?  That's because they want you to buy the halfway crappy models now...  then the medium upgrade next week...   then drop another $30 on the top upgrades later.  It's all about CASH FLOW.  When you start to get comfy, they will make the game impossible again, with the only people allowed to be competitive being those who shell out money to get new clubs each month. 

I'm out now, because this is too transparent.  Not fun anymore.

RSS