Forums

Help › Forums

Notebook - Automated spreadsheet (alternative to virtual notebook)

Sat, Jul 25 2020 2:57 PM (125 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 12:10 PM

Hi all,

Back in May when I started playing WGT, I wanted to advance as quickly as possible.  Since I also play golf IRL, I understood the importance of taking notes, so I made sure whenever I played a stroke play game, I took notes so the next time I found myself in a similar situation, I could make the necessary adjustments and improve my average.

As time went buy, my notes grew, insomuch as they filled a 3" 3-ring binder.  I felt there had to be a better way to organize my notes than the old, 3-ring binder method and dividers for each course.  So I started a search for a notes taking and retrieval program, but didn't have any luck in my search.

Fortunately, I'm a 2nd generation programmer, so I decided to write my own.  It's finally complete and works splendidly.  Here's a snapshot of the main menu:

It has evolved over time, and is now completely form/menu driven.

My question is, is there any fellow WGT golfers out there that would like to have a way to keep and retrieve notes?  I'm willing to share with those of you who would be interested.  It could prove to be a great tool for CC owners, since there is a method built in to share notes (Import/Export routine).

Here's a sample search.  I did a search on hole #4 at Best of Famous Holes for shots between 170 - 190 yards.  Here's the outcome:

This has been reduced to fit this forum post.

Edit:  29 December, 2013 ... I'm putting the link here for everyone's convenience:

Notes Program and Documentation

Edit: 4 January, 2014 ... In case the link above doesn't work, copy and paste this link to your browser:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8zXgJL4jcQeUzNMalJYSGxFbzQ&usp=sharing

If you find it worthy of a bump, please leave a comment within the thread.  My very best to each of you.

Kat ♥

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 2:26 PM

Yes!  Count me in:  I was just going to break out a new notebook for anticipated changes in equipment in the near future.  I've tested some software in the past from time to time and would be happy to run through it and maybe flush out some bugs (if any).  Only thing is I'm using an ancient XP os, so I hope it will run  on my PC...  Thanks!   -Keith

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 2:55 PM

keidan:
    Yes!  Count me in:

Sent you a friend request.  Send me a PM and we'll discuss.  XP os will be fine.

Kat ♥

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 3:12 PM

WGT are going to provide ( sell ) complete course notes in the near future, just sayin.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 3:19 PM

Listed in the "Upcoming Product Releases"  over there on the right--->>>>

Coming Soon (in the next 30-90 days

• Virtual Course Notebooks

I use Xcel myself.  Tabs for each hole's notes and shot records.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 3:25 PM

andyson:

Now what I didn't see in the future release was ... the word "Free" ... just sayin'.  Since I haven't seen it, I can't really comment on its functionality or its price.

Edit:  I started writing this back in August.  I think the "Virtual Course Notebooks' note came out last month.

It would be nice if a CC owner can share notes with their members.  Hopefully that feature will be available as well.

• cappy11
    1,173 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 3:40 PM

Kat,

Would love to take a look at it and give you my feedback.  Anything to make this game better for all of us and my Members.......

thanks

cap

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 4:50 PM

DaddysKat:
    Now what I didn't see in the future release was ... the word "Free"

That was my point Kat, 'they' might not like what your doing ( so send me the link quick!)

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 5:10 PM

andyson:

I use Xcel myself.  Tabs for each hole's notes and shot records.

I'm not (totally) knocking WGT but as others have said there is no indication or promise that this will be free and more importantly to me, given WGT's track record of losing information (Alt Shot stats anyone) would you trust them with your notes? Mine will be staying on my PC.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 5:43 PM

Chinajohn:
    given WGT's track record of losing information (Alt Shot stats anyone) would you trust them with your notes? Mine will be staying on my PC.

I'm not knocking WGT either.  I feel they have a pretty nice product.  I've been keeping notes with my routine for a few months while making additions so I could share it with others.  It takes a lot of code to make something simple for others to use.

Now if WGT's virtual notebook would store your notes on your computer ... like in an XML type file, it would prove to be a nice way for them to avoid storage issues on their servers.

Also, if they would mark locations where you are when you took the notes, it would make note taking extremely easy ... quite a valuable asset.

For now, however, I'll continue to keep my game notes on my program.  If anyone is interested in checking it out, just post a comment to this thread.

Kat ♥

RSS