Forums

Help › Forums

Changing balls during the game

Wed, Aug 12 2020 11:41 PM (52 replies)
  • Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2013 5:52 PM

lol  @   now what club would that be, 

That's definitely a wood Fred is holding. Why am I so sure?  Because he lived before the iron age!  :-p

• ScottHope
    10,011 Posts
    Fri, Nov 1 2013 2:43 AM

Lololol.......I guess he's on Pebble Beach too, haha.

• GaryD007
    8 Posts
    Fri, Nov 1 2013 7:12 AM

That is clearly an early GraniteBallz "Rockie" (precursor to the "Brassie"), assuming Fred needs to lay-up off the tee on #18 or go into the Tar Pit hazard in front of the green.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Fri, Nov 1 2013 9:10 AM

It might have been that first ever golf course, Jurassic Park?  OjO

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Mon, Nov 4 2013 10:47 AM

MBaggese:

SplashLewis:

ScottHope:

Once you have started a game you cannot change your equipment during that game. The only change that may occur will be if you run out of paid for balls, in which case you will automatically be switched back to the WGT free ball (amusingly referred to in these forums as a 'rock').

Which is BS because i have various other balls of similiar specs.  Why potentially jack up my round by putting the worst ball in play?

You have the option, once on your last ball, to buy another sleeve...if you choose not to it's on you...not BS.

Its BS. Why buy another sleeve when i have other balls?  Why get kicked out the game if i dont have enough credits to buy balls (goes to purchase page)?  As i move from ball to ball, i may have one or two left of a sleeve.  I could exhaust the sleeve during a game, but then we're right back to my point. I've seen more guys quit because they lost a sleeve of balls and was defaulted to the starter ball.

Its really not hard to give us another ball.  in lieu of that, its not hard to give us credit for unused balls.  It's not hard to just kick us out the game which wouldn't be my preference, but i understand.  No, they chose the option that cost money

I accepted it as it is. It's a money making thing.  Just like not having driving range, putting greens is.  I'd do the same thing.  not mad, just calling it for what it is.

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Mon, Nov 4 2013 4:22 PM

According to my son's USGA "Rules of Golf" handbook, a "player must hole  out with the ball played from the teeing ground". Therefore, there is no rule against having different balls in your bag. Now I understand that it might require significant programming time involved in managing several types of balls in ones bag, but it should be very simple to substitute a ball something other than the "rock". It's either an oversight(understandable), laziness (not understandable) or a money grab (understandable)

The PGA rules might be different and Club rules may say otherwise (i doubt that). 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Nov 5 2013 10:45 AM

In your son's USGA "Rules of Golf" handbook, look at Appendix I, Part C, 1. c - One Ball Condition.

WGT lets you know when the caddy takes the last ball of that make/model in your bag, and gives you an opportunity to get another sleeve of the same ball at that time.

If you choose to not get another sleeve, and then hit that last ball OB, in the weeds, or in the water - you had a chance to avoid the "One Ball Condition" situation.

Under the 'One Ball Condition", when a WGT player runs out of the ball brand/type the round was started with, WGT gives the player a free if low performance ball to finish the round with.

I've seen it in real golf over, and over again. Switching to a 'water' ball subconsciously supports hitting the 'water' ball into the water.

Course management is about the risk/reward analysis of each shot.

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Tue, Nov 5 2013 10:55 AM

Ok.  I will check it out when i get home.

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Tue, Nov 5 2013 4:06 PM

ApexPC:

In your son's USGA "Rules of Golf" handbook, look at Appendix I, Part C, 1. c - One Ball Condition

You are misunderstanding what you read.  The first "suspicion" is that it is an appendix :)

Here is what it says...

"IF it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is RECOMMENDED...

(i)One Ball Condition. During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current list of Conforming Golf Balls"

The key word there is "IF".  In other words, IF your Club, Group or Tourny wants to implement a one ball condition, then it recommends using a conforming ball.

Again, I dont know about PGA rules and i dont ever think a pro would use different balls within a round as their game is so fine tuned to a specific type of ball, it makes no sense. As a former member of USGA, I dont ever recall this ever being an issue. My son has been a part of the First Tee Program here at East Lake in Atlanta for a few years now, I will ask one of the golf pros this weekend.  But I am pretty sure the rule is clear.

As far as WGT. It is clear that they dont adhere to a "one ball condition". I wouldnt have a problem if they did.  But since they dont, then dont half-ass it. Put a players already purchased ball in play, instead of having them waste money with having one/two offs that they basicall cant use.  Not only will it save the player money, it will make the golf experience more enjoyable since they wont have to transition from their preferred ball to a "rock" during a round.

• Choomie
    2 Posts
    Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:12 PM

Sometimes I don't have enough credits to buy the same balls I like. But I do have others. I would love to use those instead of the "rock". I would suggest at least have a second ball option added. Better yet..let's not lose balls and just let them expire as usual. I have lost balls sometimes when meters jump which is totally not fair,

STOP THE LOST BALL campaign starting today. Get on board wgt. Thanks

RSS