Forums

Help › Forums

For your enjoyment ...

Thu, Nov 7 2013 3:41 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Mon, Oct 21 2013 9:34 PM

I was trolling on the Tube and found this.. Its the the Biggest Knucklehead Play in the history of golf...Enjoy 

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:02 PM

Where he is now you ask...

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Tue, Oct 22 2013 3:48 AM

sweetspott:

...Enjoy 

Certainly did! Great clip sweetspott, thanks for posting..

..  he got metered something chronic, and he ain't gonna party like it's 1999 :(

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:44 AM

This title should say. VEM turned up at the 1974 US Open :)

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:59 AM

I don't know what he did. But in my mind the biggest Knucklehead play was Roberto De Vicenzo signing an incorrect score card in the 1968 Masters losing by 1 stroke because of it.

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Sun, Oct 27 2013 1:01 AM

borntobesting:

I don't know what he did. But in my mind the biggest Knucklehead play was Roberto De Vicenzo signing an incorrect score card in the 1968 Masters losing by 1 stroke because of it.

Not play, but a Kuncklehead scoring error. Still a Major disaster..

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Tue, Oct 29 2013 7:02 PM

Now that swing is sweet.....Not many better.

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Mon, Nov 4 2013 6:34 PM

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Nov 4 2013 9:31 PM

sweetspott:

I was trolling on the Tube and found this.. Its the the Biggest Knucklehead Play in the history of golf...Enjoy 

Van de Velde nearly achieved an upset victory at the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie, when he was the clear leader playing the closing holes. He arrived at the 18th tee needing only a double bogey six to become the first Frenchman since 1907 to win the tournament. He had played error-free golf for much of the week and birdied the 18th hole in two prior rounds.

Despite a three-shot lead, Van de Velde chose to use his driver off the tee, and proceeded to drive the ball to the right of the burn and was lucky to find land. Rather than laying up and hitting the green with his third, Van de Velde decided to go for the green with his second shot. His shot drifted right, ricocheted backwards off the railings of the grandstands by the side of the green, landed on top of the stone wall of the Barry Burn and then bounced fifty yards backwards into knee-deep rough.

On his third shot, Van de Velde's club got tangled in the rough on his downswing, and his ball flew into the Barry Burn. He removed his shoes and socks and gingerly stepped through shin-deep water as he debated whether to try to hit his ball out of the Barry Burn, which guards the 18th green. Ultimately, he took a drop and proceeded to hit his fifth shot into the greenside bunker. Van de Velde blasted to within six feet from the hole, and made the putt for a triple-bogey seven, dropping him into a three-way playoff with Justin Leonard and Paul Lawrie. Lawrie would eventually triumph in the playoff

This is what gets me and has to knaw at him to this day. Why in the name of God does he try to reach the green in 2 with a 3 shot lead? AT CARNASTY!@#$

Was his caddie sleeping? Just beyond my scope of rationality. All he needed was a par!?

The thing about about it too is, all 3 previous days he lays up his 3rd shot for an easy approach to the green! Just one of those unexplainable ,,,things. To this day he can't give a clear reason why he did it.

• sweetspott
    26,443 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 10:39 PM

Trans World Sports, Tiger Woods Interview 1990

• PAGES
RSS