Forums

Help › Forums

Pavin, Woods and the Ryder Cup

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 17 2010 10:09 AM (31 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Mon, Aug 23 2010 10:49 AM
    I think it all comes down to TV ratings and fear of the backlash of not picking Tiger. His record at the Ryder Cup is very average, decent in singles but less than good in the other matches. The truth is no one really wants to play with him and he seems to bring their play down. With the young players on the team this year, I think the spirit would be better without Woods.
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 23 2010 11:02 AM

TarheelsRule:
    The truth is no one really wants to play with him and he seems to bring their play down. With the young players on the team this year, I think the spirit would be better without Woods.
    Agreed.

So we're back to the beginning...

The only honorable thing to do, to guarantee a win-win for all the golfers involved (notice I said "golfers" and not "everyone"), would be for Pavin to invite and Woods to decline.

This gives the US team the best chance of winning the Ryder Cup.

The only ones who lose in this scenario are the advertisers and the jock-sniffers.... and in the end, for the Ryder Cup, neither one of those groups matter one iota.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 23 2010 11:10 AM

I dont think Woods has the intelligence to decline. 

• Yakublue
    125 Posts
    Tue, Aug 24 2010 11:50 AM

Form is temporary, class is permanent. In my opinion, Corey will invite and Tiger will accept. He has to. The Ryder Cup has become like a fifth major. In fact one or two players have claimed they would forego a personal major win rather than being on the losing RC team. So the professional in Tiger will insist that he plays if invited.

The format is totally different too. This could, magically, assist Tiger find his game, who knows? In any sport a struggling player can regain confidence and form with one golf stroke, a goal in football, a boundary in cricket, a slam dunk, whatever wherever. Its the confidence, that the perfect timing in the action performed, has come back to you. That's all it can take sometimes. Ninety percent of all sporting performance by professional athletes is dictated by the goings on between the ears. A simple head wobble can sort out a lot of fuzz.

Also, selfishly, I'd love to see him over here. The man is pure legend. Celtic Manor is a fantastic venue for the tournament, with ampitheatre like greens all over. Its going to be a special atmosphere in Welsh Wales.

Predictions for the result.......? I think it is a very strong European team and can see a margin of 4-6 points. 16-12 Europe.

The Yak

• WGTSky
    223 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:42 PM

Speaking of Celtic Manor...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 12:31 PM

In reality, regardless of how he is playing, Tiger Woods brings a much larger percentage of eyeballs to the television screen than anyone in its history. His inclusion in the Ryder Cup will be decided not by Mr. Pavin, but by the guaranteed loss of viewers and advertising interest, if Woods is not there.

Television has made Mr. Pavin and Mr. Woods wealthy, although the former is paltry in wealth compared to the latter. Nevertheless, one learns never to bite the hand that feeds.

Woods will play regardless of inclinations that may be preferred by Mr. Pavin. 

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 1:28 PM

SweetiePie:
    Television has made Mr. Pavin and Mr. Woods wealthy

Not to mention their past golf talent.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:00 PM

Y'all not got newspapers out there?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:13 PM

What I know is this: Tiger Woods is still, by last look, the #1 ranked golfer on earth. And so why would he be excluded? Phil the Thrill had many shots, recently and in the near past, to overtake that position. Who is the choker? Woods will overcome his recent and current saga and return to his path. Some problems in life can either diminish or enhance one's direction. I believe, concerning Tiger's issues, that he will prevail and come back stronger. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:27 PM
    SP and I usually agree on everything and this isn't much of an exception. First I love Phil and hate Tiger so let me get that out there. But SP is right, with all the chances Phil has had to move into #1 he chokes, he is much better as the second fiddle to Tiger, lot less pressure there. Pavin, who I have meet and think is a great captain, had no choice but to pick Tiger for TV ratings, to protect his butt and frankly because in match play there is no one better than Tiger. Granted Tiger might hit the ball all over the lot and even off it from time to time but the Ryder Cup is match play. I would only play Tiger with someone who is comfortable with him, Pavin will ask and find that out and rest him at least for two of the matches. The match ups are so interesting, can you imagine playing against Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson and having to hit first all day. Kucher is the best player on the team right now and I would love to see him paired up with Furyk, talk about two shot making machines. Also can you imagine Tiger paired up with Ricky Fowler that could be good.
RSS