Forums

Help › Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Mon, Feb 13 2023 12:09 AM (211 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2016 2:53 AM

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2017 10:27 PM

MainzMan:

pdb1:

The ball travels at a slower rate anywhere within the 10 meter  then it does with the 15 meter . I don't know why . But it appears that way to me . 

It isn't just you who thinks this.  I actually bought the original Method when it came out, it was new and shiny and the guy in the pro shop threw in an old sock to cover the head.  He told me it (the sock that is) had belonged to Bobby Jones but I'm not sure about that, smelt more like Walter Hagen to me.

Anyway, the 10 foot scale on that thing was totally dead.  Compared to the Ghost Spider I'd been using it seemed like the putter face had half an inch of soft rubber glued to it.  Nearly every single putt I hit with that scale came up short.  Not that there were many, the pro shop guy got it shoved where the sun don't shine after a very short time.

I believe he tried to sell it to another customer as once belonging to Bill Clinton.

It's crazy as I just recently started to "see" this occurring and I wasn't sure what was going on...then I found this thread.

When I first started playing the Lev 96 Nike putter (was a Lev 101 putter before "The Sale") I did have to adjust from the 15/30 meter increments from my old Lev 55 TM Rossa.  But...I never experienced a slow rolling ball...

until now...

and it's totally screwed up my putting.

Why am I just starting to "see" it though whereas you all saw it way before I did? 

See my other thread on the Cleveland wedges...someone behind the scenes has to be f-ing with things...mainly us.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2017 6:35 AM

pdb1:
    First question ? Green speed remains the same . How does the ball roll more slowly ? Even when trying to adjust up to compensate ? 

Go to Beth 10, find a flat spot and hit it...............Notice your scale when doing so.  Mulligan and hit it again 4 more times self same power / scale.  Note the grouping, all done for that x1 scale.

Stick to dings only counting if I were you until real confident...Versa line possibly best for that, but not your real basic issue.  EDIT: Thinking through Versa line probably best all round for you at this point........

pdb1:

I still have no clue how to aim , where to move the aimer , how much to move the aimer . Why the dots do not give the same results 2 times in a row . All questions for another post . 

anyone who plays with me often can attest to the fact that I lip out or miss every eagle or birdie putt by an inch everytime .

Practice mode.over and over each hole, AFTER the above for basic distance each scale...................One putter only allowed for a LONG TIME to get used to that ONE putter

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2017 9:19 PM

Hoo boy, is that great advice. On paper, the Versa l70 and the Versa l96 should play about the same. Well, they do...and they don't. Had a nice long relationship with the level 70, but still learning the 96.

Jimbog1964:

pdb1:
    First question ? Green speed remains the same . How does the ball roll more slowly ? Even when trying to adjust up to compensate ? 

Go to Beth 10, find a flat spot and hit it...............Notice your scale when doing so.  Mulligan and hit it again 4 more times self same power / scale.  Note the grouping, all done for that x1 scale.

Stick to dings only counting if I were you until real confident...Versa line possibly best for that, but not your real basic issue.  EDIT: Thinking through Versa line probably best all round for you at this point........

pdb1:

I still have no clue how to aim , where to move the aimer , how much to move the aimer . Why the dots do not give the same results 2 times in a row . All questions for another post . 

anyone who plays with me often can attest to the fact that I lip out or miss every eagle or birdie putt by an inch everytime .

Practice mode.over and over each hole, AFTER the above for basic distance each scale...................One putter only allowed for a LONG TIME to get used to that ONE putter

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 12:09 PM

pdb1:

All good advice . I will try most of it .

I have a problem with practice mode . I have tried it , has never helped , always came away with the feeling it was a big waste of time .

Ball park putting it's fine...........And easy to then go to a RR and test it.  We are just talking Beth 10...........

pdb1:
    The versa's I own have a 15 , 30 , 60 meters . Only the new one offers 10 , 20 , 50 meters .  May have to buy it after all . 

The key is deciding which you like, and sticking with it.............Nikes were / are OK but you need to PRACTICE the scale you are using, and play that scale that way ONLY......Don't overthink it.

• conveyorguy
    767 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2017 5:51 PM

Sell 'em all; go w/the lvl 59 Saber lol. ( pretty good #'s) And I'm still surprised nobody has started  a Sabertooth Country Club lol...........

RSS