Help › Forums

Distance Out of Control

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:12 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 12:16 PM

You are just too old fashioned SP   I played Titleist Tour Blades for years, switched to Titleist DTR's and once I started using larger headed perimeter weighted clubs I could not go back.  I still have the 1 iron that was from my Titleist Tour Blade, I have tried to hit it a few times in the past 10 years, it looks like it isn't as wide as the ball now.

Drivers are the biggest change.  The other day I saw an old Taylor Made driver, the first version that came out.  It was amazing, about half the size of the modern 3 wood.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 12:35 PM

TarheelsRule:

You are just too old fashioned SP   I played Titleist Tour Blades for years, switched to Titleist DTR's and once I started using larger headed perimeter weighted clubs I could not go back.  I still have the 1 iron that was from my Titleist Tour Blade, I have tried to hit it a few times in the past 10 years, it looks like it isn't as wide as the ball now.

Drivers are the biggest change.  The other day I saw an old Taylor Made driver, the first version that came out.  It was amazing, about half the size of the modern 3 wood.

Try hitting my Wislon Staff blades from 1990 lol

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 12:51 PM

TarheelsRule:
    You are just too old fashioned SP

It is true and the fault of my Father, who has one of the most amazing club collections the human eye would ever see. Another awesome iron set comes from Honma, late 80's early 90's. Blade, square, and metal so soft one must check loft & lie frequently if playing alot.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:19 PM

I still hit a stinging 2 iron and refuse to get any of the hybrids or high metals like a 7 wood.  But putter, I did go high tech.  Will keep using my Mizuno MP 30's for a few more years and will replace the R7 (first one that came out) soon as well, unless I decide on a new shaft again, much cheaper to replace the shaft for $60 then a whole new driver.  Occasionally I break out some really old clubs, surprised they dont snap at the hozzle with the shanks they produce.

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:35 PM

King....the Titleist one iron that I was talking about was from 1978 so you can image how thin that one is.  I dumped my 2 iron last year and now have 3 iron as my first iron and a 5 wood in my bag.

I have a few sets of old clubs but some of them are for show only.  I have a set of old Macgregor Tourney irons from the 50's that I had refinished and a set of Titleiest woods, real persimmon from the early 70's in that bag with a bullseye putter.  I got a Ryder Cup bag from 1991 as well, the real bag not the ones you can buy now so the clubs are displayed in that bag.

I have always been sort of a traditionalist in terms of golf, but not in terms of golf equipment.  I prefer the old style courses, Pinehurst, Winged Foot, Southern Hills, etc. more than the new tracts.  Same with golfers, I have a print signed by Hogan in my office and a print of #18 at Pebble Beach signed by 4 of the 5 US Open winners there.  I was hoped for Els or Johnson this year but I will get it signed by the winner.

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 7:12 PM

I think the bombers are at a disadvantage on most holes on tour.The landing area for guys who can bomb it 330 is 10 yards more narrow than it is for the shorter hitters. JB Holmes is one of the longest players on tour but can only hit his driver maybe 5 times all round. Almost all of the tournaments favor the ball strikers and some of the shorter hitters. Not many favor the bombers. If holes were set up where the landing area is the same for Holmes, Watson, Johnson, etc. as it is for guys like Furyk, Leonard, Striker and other shorter guys the playing field will be even. If those can hit driver wedge into a green then they should be able to. I'm not saying it should be easy but, the PGA Tour has taken away most of the bombers biggest strength. To me, that isn't fair. 

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 12:47 PM

I have been to the Heritage Golf Classic in Hilton Head on many occassions but I have to say that on the back nine there is a Par 5 that 99.9% of the players lay up with their 2nd shot because they cannot hit that postage stamp size green in 2. Only once did I ever see a player attempt it, John Daly and he hit Driver a mile and tried to cut the corner with a 5 Iron and didnt make it, he ended up with 7 on the hole and didnt win the Tournament !

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 2:35 PM

Several months back, there was a young stranger on our practice tee that was hitting driver after driver to the 310 to 330 range. He drew a fair crowd. As it turned out, by accident, i just wanted to get playing, he joined in as a non-member single. And he bombed it all over the place and his 77 didn't hold up to my 75...drive for show and...well you know the rest...

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:12 PM

Come on SP we know you probably distracted him with a few smile and those legs.

#15 at Harbour Town is the par 5 on the back, hard to reach because you have to carry a little pond that comes into play if you try to cut the corner, also some pretty tall trees over there.  That being said D Johnson could reach with a 5 iron.

• PAGES
RSS