Forums

Help › Forums

Yikes, SPOILER ALERT

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:40 PM (39 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:56 PM

If you say it, Neil, i'll believe you... I have ~0~ experience with Tennis.  I find no point/enjoyment with the sport so I'll defer to your knowledge.

Hell, you coulda told me Santa Claus was top o' the tennis heap and I'd have no case to argue.  =)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:14 PM
    Ok Snaike, I'll bite. Who was the best golfer who ever lived...Tom Morris? His son? Or perhaps Walter Hagen who could bounce it around with mediocrity with crappy clubs but go to town on a players brain like Hannibel Lechter with the accurucy of acupuncture? Tiger hits golf shots like no other human, ever. Look at his record, compare it to any other player of your choice, then post something cogent.
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:45 PM

SweetiePie:
    Ok Snaike, I'll bite. Who was the best golfer who ever lived...Tom Morris? His son?

SP...  I see that you've missed the point altogether...  That's ok.

The point is that there is no way to quantify ANY golfer as the GOAT.  Every era, every generation, has their winners and their losers.  Golf has been around for too long and had too many changes for any one person to be crowned king of all time.

You're a fan of Tiger's, congratulations.  Your hero can do no wrong... fine. This is your opinion and you're welcome to it.  Eldrick has proven himself to be the best golfer of this generation... but that's all.  There is no way he can prove he was better or worse than any person he did not compete against in their prime.

It is, as I repeat myself, intellectually dishonest and short-sighted to think that the newest is the greatest when you can not compare the new to the old.  

There is no answer to that question, Lily, if we are honest.   

Another fine example is Formula 1.  The times change, the cars change, the rules change... so, which was the GOAT?  Juan Mangio winning basically everything in the 50s, Jackie Stewart in the 70s, or Michael Schumacher around the turn of the century?  They've had about 60 years in their sport and you'll find just as heated a debate as any... and here we are with golf that's been around three, four, five times as long (depending on who you ask.)

Just because you've seen someone hit some 'miraculous' shots does not mean that the others who have come before couldn't, or even dare I say, "didn't" hit those same shots.  But you've seen your hero and that's enough for you.

Objectivity and logic need to weigh in...  =)

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 6:28 PM

Yawn...Snaike I'm still waiting for my answer too...at least you’re sparing these readers the lol Avatar analogy and the ridiculous precedent of :

" ... And, should he surpass J. Nicklaus in wins and  2nds, I will entertain the argument that he is the best golfer of the last 2 generations, but not 'Ever'."

Objectivity and logic can't weigh in when they are made in zero gravity like yours...=)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:52 PM
    Ok then...Pudge Heffelfinger was the greatest football player of all time...
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 11:33 PM

You mean this one, Boff?

BOFFMEN:
    If not, then why has Jack (according to his website) “…

“been named “Golfer of the Century” or “Golfer of the Millennium” by almost

every major golf publication in the world. He was also named Individual Male Athlete of the Century by Sports Illustrated, and one of the 10 Greatest Athletes of the Century by ESPN.”

Your answer is obvious...  ESPN, Sports Illustrated, et al have been around how long?

I would have liked to see ESPN or Sports Illustrated's coverage of Harry Vardon as he dominated the Open Championship from 1896 - 1914... Oh wait, sorry... ESPN was invented in 1979 and SI in 1964.

It all goes back to covering the 'here and now'.  Hey, they had to sell magazines/papers/the network, right?

But that's fine, too... 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 1:30 AM
    I thought Jim Thorpe won..oh well
  • KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:56 AM

Snaike:

SweetiePie:
    Nevertheless, he may just win the PGA this week, though far fetched, because he IS that good and that competitive. And I hope he does.

Fair enough...  I am glad that you have a rooting interest.

Personally, after watching Eldrick spray the ball all over the yard this last weekend, and knowing that the 967 bunkers at Whistling Straits ~demand~ accuracy, I really don't give him a chance of making the cut.

967 bunkers... good lord.  102 on the 8th, 96 on the 18th....   the fewest bunkers on any hole is 18 (12th & 14th).   (Source)

Whoever wins, it's going to be fun to watch.

Snaike I have played Whistling Straits and the golf channel is highly over-rating how bad it is if you miss the fairways.  The key to Whistling Straits is not just hitting the fairways, you can't miss in the wrong spots and YOU CAN"T TRY SOMETHING STUPID!  Example you CAN miss the fairway on the 5th hole, but you CAN"T try and hit the green in two, weather your in the middle or in the fescue.  With that being said i'd say pick the top 25 for driving accuracy then out of those 25 take the player with the best scambling %.  That's my pick for who will win.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:58 AM

So your saying Snaike that it is 'intellectually dishonest" for Jack to be given those honors by the World's golf publications?

I don't want to put words in you're mouth but it seems that you may not know what your own words mean.

It was just a simple question on my part...not a big deal to me...

Movin on.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:02 AM

Now for my good friend Eldrick, even golf channel has said it, Eldrick has ZERO chance of winning this week being that he can't power through this rough and he can't be all wild off the tee.  But god knows what will happen, all I know is Thursday morning bright an early I'll be watching Tiger play all 18 hole of H*LL that is Whistling Straits in person!  And god would it make my week if he shot another rousing +18 on a course that i've played many times and love.

RSS