Forums

Help › Forums

Golf Balls Are Too Expensive by Nordglanz

Tue, Mar 15 2022 4:14 PM (58 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 4:52 PM

I agree 8I other than a full shot is dodgy, but you too are a golfer, you know real clubs don't do exactly what we expect them to. I just think many expect perfection in this game, and that just is not realistic. There has to be some challenge or the game gets boring.

• Hullyfan
    478 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 6:18 PM

alanti:

I agree 8I other than a full shot is dodgy, but you too are a golfer, you know real clubs don't do exactly what we expect them to. I just think many expect perfection in this game, and that just is not realistic. There has to be some challenge or the game gets boring.

^^what he said^^

• SwenNader
    730 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 7:31 PM

Boring in at least one way ... but the ball costs are beyond reasonable .... man, the good old days of Links!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:30 PM

And a great post Swen,and for the most part you are 100% correct. Sadly in the scheme of WGT I am a "bottom-feeder" scrounging the odd credits I can win or earn via the awesome Video Carousel - every 16 days or so I earn 100 credits. No surveys offered in over two years - sitting on 43 credits, I am certainly not on of the sharks getting their fair share (and the rest) of the spoils.

Of course WGT do their market analysis to come up with a pricing structure - and as a business it is to make maximum profit at a price point that most players are willing to spend. Hence the R1 - but I have to admit, saves a lot of balls being hit in those 5 levels. Actually brilliant marketing, even if players do rush through levels 91-93 using starters balls to get there (ok maybe this was unforeseen - but in business, are we not taught to forsee the unforseen and plan for it?)

Of course the one advantage WGT do have is we cannot simply go to Wal Mart and buy some balls, we have to buy them from WGT, no other options. But whilst we do not have a choice of whom to buy the balls from, we have choice of what type of balls to buy. And this is better than Wal Mart - from WGT we can buy balls that don't even exist (well in truth - nowhere else actually sells pixelated balls) like a slow my swing down ball.

Now whilst you do have choice, I have never said you will score really well with starter balls, but have seen some people who have unbelievable cat like reflexes and still score well. For me (and I too have pretty good hand-eye co-ordination) do pretty well to click before the swing is finished!

But where I  disagree is 7 million registered users. Maybe 7 million accounts, many who have never played, many who were curious and left and sadly many who belong to the same person. Yes Multi-accounters - they are not hard to find, lust look at the monthly earners, the RG and monthly free tournament circuits, especially from Hack -Master Tiers, they are rampant.

And thats where I agree Swen, people who are cheating the system, other players and themselves. These players effectively push the prices up for the honest players because we are the ones that has to pay for our choices. AlI can do is enjoy my own game and as long as I continue to enjoy it, I will continue to play. For that reason VEM/deviations is just part and parcel of golf - real or on here.

Personally if I had the option, I would string up these low life by their WGT Balls in the forums - they are shamed in my eyes, why not just name them as well.

EDIT - Ya post vaporised Swen - oh hell or is that a lost ball?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:37 PM

Without prior knowledge of what earnings are versus outgoings such as R&D this is just a whinge I am afraid.  

The discussion therefore should be are WGTs earnings unreasonable. ANYONE?? Before we know that it's just whinging sadly.

Compared to the pub a sixer at home and this is way cheap.  At home playing alt / shot / MP anyway it's OK, but like everything it can add up especially with top balls. We all want (would like) cheaper shops though.......

EDIT : The box of 12 is a good idea. I think the pro Shop did similar a while back with a buy 4 get 1 free (type thing anyway).  The pro shop generally is indicative of zero competition.  Fair play recently more clubs and the L93 R1 offer all good steps, but no real gold stars just on that.  The L93 offer created good forum banter and pro shop interest, and semi frequent offers on balls seem an easy one for that little added best check what's in at WGT Pro Shop - I digress. 

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 9:27 PM

box of 12 balls.

at cheaper rate.

(tick)

Edit: quick examble. I can pay $18 for a sleve of pro v1`s at my local pro shop/ on course shop or look online for for specials and pay $50 a dozen (AUS coinage)

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2013 8:02 AM

interesting thread, but expecting Mr.WGT and the gang to lower the price of anything ----well you ought to know better. Won't happen

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2013 8:15 AM

suncity28:

box of 12 balls.

at cheaper rate.

That would be great. A sliding scale knocking off a few percentage points for each multiple. It would surely help the cash flow.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2013 11:41 AM

WGT charges no green's fees. (TruGolf charges some low green fees.)

Since there are no green's fees, ball prices are not out of line.

The most expensive balls (not counting MAX balls and  those with Vapor) are 550 credits for 3 balls, or 183.33 credits per ball.

Those balls have a durability that delivers about 130 hits, or 2 complete rounds with a average score of 65.

That is 91.67 credits per round, which is less than $1.00 a round, for which there are no greens fees.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2013 1:02 PM

For the first 65 levels I played starter clubs and starter balls.  Know what happened?  I learned how to play pretty well.

Now when I buy those 64 credit POS I use and my long-obsolete clubs, I can still hang with people I shouldn't.  That's because I learned on starter everything, all free.

RSS