Help › Forums

Heading to Pebble

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:44 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Wayneraltman
    4 Posts
    Sat, May 4 2013 4:26 PM

A couple of buddies and I play golf for a week each year at one of the top ten golf destinations for that year... We have played Whistling Straits, Torrey, and this year we are heading to Pebble Beach...

My question is anyone have any tips or know what the course(s) are like.. We play two rounds a day five days straight.. So getting the most out of this trip is important.. 

Thanks

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sat, May 4 2013 10:35 PM
  • mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 11:34 PM

ive no tips as ive not played these amazing courses but i am extremely 

JELOUS

:)

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2013 6:14 PM

Good luck with that.

I have played Pebble once and Spanish Bay 1/2 times.

The 1/2 time was because we were asked to leave because our foursome was ,considered by the ranger, to be playing too slowly.

If I remember correctly it's about 450 + cart fee to play Pebble if you are not staying there.

Spanish Bay is like 250 + cart. Spanish Bay is a Scottish-style links course. Beautiful course, so is Pebble.

There is a par 3 9-hole course there as well. I forgot the name of it.

If you guys are staying there, then the cart is free...lol

The groundskeepers and rangers watch everything you do. If you do something they don't like...they will ask you to leave. Best to watch your P's and Q's while there.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:03 AM

CanineSupervisor:
    The 1/2 time was because we were asked to leave because our foursome was ,considered by the ranger, to be playing too slowly.

Why is everything in life based on speed. It's always hurry up , how fast can you do this, how fast can you do that.

My God, it's bad enough when doing a job, now time has controlled how fast we have to have fun.   

• jimd7777
    33 Posts
    Sat, Jun 1 2013 8:57 PM

Wayne, I live near Monterey, I caddied at Pebble when I was in high school.  You will probably want to play most rounds there, its a one of a kind.  Spyglass is nearby, its long, narrow, tall pines line the fairways,  its hilly, a few ponds, a tough course.  Another tough course near Monterey is Black Horse.  It was a former Army course now public.  Not many out of towners know about it but it is very challenging. There are a couple of nice courses in Carmel Valley too and that is not far away.  You will have to check on public access though. Enjoy, and don't expect warm weather; summers in Pebble Beach  are cool, foggy and breezy.  It warms up if you get a few miles from the ocean though, like in Carmel Valley.  Good luck.

Jim D

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jun 1 2013 10:04 PM

Not this will be of any help, but I spoke to mate of mine who has played PB, he said take lots of golf balls lol.  And yep, I am jealous too.

As Canine said, pays to watch your etiquette on any top course, as the rangers will take a very dim view of poor behaviour. But getting kicked off for slow play is a bit rough - I hope the ranger at least gave you warnings.

And yes, the worlds on a hurry to finish everything.and set deadlines that end yesterday. No wonder craftsmen are a dying breed.

5 second shot timer game anyone :))

• Wayneraltman
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jun 2 2013 1:04 PM

With as much as my buddy is paying for our trip they better not even think of kicking us for something stupid.. We will give them better reasons than slow play !!!

Thanks for the info we are playing Spanish Bay, Pebble, and Spy Glass .. Every Year it is another course we have done Whistling Straights and Torrey Pines and a few others...

I highly recommend taking a couple of buddies and getting together for a few days...  

• Wayneraltman
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jun 2 2013 1:10 PM

No reason to be jealous get a couple of buddies and plan a trip somewhere!! 

It would not matter where we played as long as we were there together... We get one chance a year and this year we are doing it at Pebble..

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:02 AM

I have only been asked to speed up once by a marshall and that was at Kiawah where my friend and I were paired with a father son team who couldn't break 125.  They quit after 9 holes so we were fine after that.

Pebble is a great course and there are a number of others in the area.  Spanish Bay is right there as is Poppy Hills.  You probably won't be able to get on Cypress Point but it is the best of all the Bay courses in my opinion. 

If cost is not an option, I would suggest that you play Pebble at least two times just to get a feel for it.   Also keep in mind that if you have time the Olympic Club isn't too far away up in SF.

• PAGES
RSS