Forums

Help › Forums

The Tiger Drop

Mon, Apr 15 2013 1:50 PM (29 replies)
  • Slice235
    18 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:51 AM

If Tiger plays out the Masters and wins it will certainly be a tainted victory to say the least. What if he ends up beating Jack by 1 Major at the end of his career. I think Tiger has no choice if he wants to preserve his legacy.

• cchristi42
    57 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 9:57 AM

Seems within the rules to me, having someone's scorecard adjusted after they finish the round (after you told them his card was good), while maybe tradition is a pretty dumb rule.

So while maybe a handful of die hard tiger haters will remember, the vast majority won't care, just like no one cared after a year or two that Roger Maris had more games when he broke the Babe's single season record.  

Times change, and with them so does the game to an extent.  Overall as long as the rule is used fairly, I think most golf fans will come to like the rule.

• dacrash
    465 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 12:20 PM

cchristi42:

Seems within the rules to me, having someone's scorecard adjusted after they finish the round (after you told them his card was good), while maybe tradition is a pretty dumb rule.

So while maybe a handful of die hard tiger haters will remember, the vast majority won't care, just like no one cared after a year or two that Roger Maris had more games when he broke the Babe's single season record.  

Times change, and with them so does the game to an extent.  Overall as long as the rule is used fairly, I think most golf fans will come to like the rule.

Anything here you want to restate?  Tiger admitted to cheating and they still don't dq him.  Wrong.  In the history of golf, signing an incorrect scorecard is a dq.  only at the masters is it ok to cheat, admit it and get away with it.

boycott the masters.

• SubGolf
    28 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 1:01 PM

The whole scenerio smells of politcs no matter how much perfume you pour over it. Any other player would have been disqualified and nothing more would be said about it. Tiger has not only disgraced himself, but also diminished the Masters and PGA golf itself. The only option open to Tiger at this point is to disqualify himself from the Masters for damage control for himself and for the good of the game.

• freddysfunky
    38 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:19 AM

What the hell were the tournament officials doing ? The on course referee taking a piss while he was shooting? Or was he too busy admiring the way Tiger was playing to care about a fundamental rule of golf. The officials are mainly responsible for this mess.

You also can't tell me Tiger didn't know the rules about playing the shot as close as possible to the previous one. Ignorance isn't an excuse. Tiger isn't going to win this year, but he's going to take some of the gloss off the eventual winner. 

I'm going for a Snedeker win. Cabrera and Kuchar will be close. Scott will bottle it again.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2013 4:28 AM

A fundamental principle in golf is that players are responsible for calling penalties on themselves. Violating the rules and then waiting around passively for someone else to notice and call for the penalty is regarded as cheating. This is not the case in other sports (the 'Hand of God' etc.)

So I can understand that Tiger had an incorrect understanding of the rule in his mind when he made the drop, but when the issue was pointed out while he was still playing the round, he must have focused on what the real rule was. Then he must have realized that deliberately dropping two yards behind the original spot was a clear violation of the rules. That is when he should have called the penalty on himself. Instead, he silently allowed the officials to believe it was simply a matter of unintentionally being a little off in determining where he had hit from before (which is not something that can be precisely determined in any event).

He had a clear opportunity to rethink whether his drop was legal before he signed the card. By that time, knowing what the rule is and knowing that he had intentionally dropped two yards behind the original spot, he also knew that he had violated the rule and had to take the penalty before signing the card.

Conclusion: Tiger should have been disqualified. The events occurring after he signed the card were irrelevant.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:18 AM

Two facts, given by the Masters' rules official yesterday in a press conference:

- there are no walking rules officials in this tournament.

The CC discussed the subject twice. Once during his play and once at night.

- Tiger was not informed of the first discussion while he was still on the course because they decided that there was no infringement. When he later admitted that he had voluntarily deviated from the "nearest point", they used their first decision to protect him from the DQ. He got the penalty which he should have given himself in the first time.

Without the first discussion, or if it had been later, he sure should have been DQ'd.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:40 AM

the final day should be interesting.

• creamer444
    783 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2013 7:11 AM

watch this space ADAM SCOTT WINS.    hope he does

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2013 9:12 AM

SubGolf:
    Tiger has not only disgraced himself, but also diminished the Masters and PGA golf itself.

The PGA already ruined it's own reputation the day before when they gave a 14 year old boy a shot penalty for slow play. It's ok for Fred Couples to crawl around the golf course in 6 hours though cause he's got a bad back. 1 rule for 1 and 1 for another!

RSS