British Open Predictions

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:11 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:15 AM

wizbang360:
    Cant we have a time when the wind does not  blow  for us every once in a while too?

St. Andrews front nine ready go.  A light breeze there!

Cheers

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:59 AM

Some great scores this morning, the later players had some strong winds to contend with...

Rory McIlroy was amazing.

Great to see the course in film (first time I've watched St Andrews closely), having played round it here at WGT a few times. Has a familiarity due to the great photos used here for WGT : )

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 10:08 AM

Niv     21st century,   get a DVR  that is the only way I can watch the early tee times  myself

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 4:26 PM

It's cool to see John Daly shooting low scores again. The big guy lost a few pounds too.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 6:48 AM

Not to offend my brothers across the pond, but one of golfs majors is basically decided by your tee time? Play has been suspended due to wind huh? just feels a little greasy. A major decided by who can hit it the lowest? Awesome not. JB

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 9:32 AM

jbenny11:
    but one of golfs majors is basically decided by your tee time?
    Did you watch the 2009 U.S. Open at Bethpage??  Luck of the draw my friend... same as the random wind directions here!

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 1:25 PM

It seems that the rule book needs to read by some....A ball that oscillates  (moves in any way after a player had addressed the ball and grounded his/her club) is deemed a stroke and therefore recieves a 1 shot penalty.  With winds at over 35mph  it is quite often a ball will be affected  by the wind especially on a down sloped surface.  This could result in a player obtaining many strokes added to his/her score, if he/she was to address it and ground the putter each time, and it moved each time due to wind speed.    Can you imagine a birdie putt and the wind moves your ball 4 times after getting ready,  grounding your putter  and about to hit it , but, alas each time it moves.  All of a sudden a potential 3  has become a triple bogey and goodbye to your chances of winning the comp (usually)

Lee is correct , it is the luck of the draw. Sometimes  you are fortunate with the weather in whatever country you may be playing in.

• Liverandonions
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 2:20 PM

very true, reverse the tee off times and where would the top players on the scorecard be right now...... luck of the draw, tomorrow may be the reverse, weather wise that is!

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:11 AM

What an excellent four days of golf : )

St Andrews threw some pretty nasty weather at the players some of the time, but they battled through.

Personally I really enjoyed it also because I was very lucky coming to this game just a month or so before the Open and being able to play round St Andrews here for a while : )

Craigswan, you were pretty good with your prediction of Westood, 2nd, that's close...

But I don't think anyone expected Oosthuizen to get it. Congratulations to him.

• PAGES
RSS