Help › Forums

Putts under 10 ft drive me batty

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 18 2009 8:43 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Kingz916
    10 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 7:38 AM

If i putt with slope and dont move the ball it goes with the slope. If i move for the slope it doesnt Move a darn inch. How many times does this happen to others?

• RyanSelwyn
    96 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2009 2:00 AM

look at the way the dots are moving if they are moving quickly they will break more if they are moving slowly there will be very little break. hope this helps :)

• mightyquinnn
    8 Posts
    Fri, May 1 2009 8:07 PM

I dont know putts are killing me. 3 and 4 putting is not even fun. Sometimes I get lucky but many times I dont. I am getting sick of the putt situation.

• deadRED
    29 Posts
    Sat, May 2 2009 5:03 AM

If you're 3 and 4 putting, you need to learn to judge distance using the 30ft putter. Once you do that, you'll 2putt most greens and sink a few in the process. There's a nice post on how to judge distance, just look for it.

• Teamster174
    43 Posts
    Sun, May 3 2009 11:58 AM

While I'm struggling with the putting game as well, I've found that not only studying the break (my biggest hurdle) but also taking in the wind direction and wind speed are affecting the roll. A 20ft putt with a 13mph head wind will definitely come up short if that little bit extra isn't added on the stroke.

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Sun, May 3 2009 12:31 PM

hmmm...within 10' you don't have to play as much break unless it's downhill and the green is sloping heavily toward your right or left (speed of the balls).

At 10' I'm looking to sink it or get within 6".

At 20' I'm looking to sink it or get within 1'

At 30' I'm looking to sink it or get within 2'

More than 30' sink it or get within 3'.

In every instance I'm looking to sink it and I don't care how far away I am.  In every instance this has to do with speed and break.  The closer you are, the less influential unless severe.  The farther you are the more influential including double breaks which could mean a straight in aim.  As regards distance, a 30' putter - 15' is halfway.  60' - 30' is halfway, 40' is 2/3rds of the way on the swing meter.   These are absolutes on a dead flat green and based on you hitting the center line perfectly.  The ball will go where you hit it.

Since none of us are perfect, you might pull or push the putt.  On a dead flat green, you'll miss but on a green with break, err on the side of the break against.  In other words, if you aimed right and the break is to the left, push it because if you pull it, you'll probably miss more unless you aimed too far right.   I know.  It's tough.  On long putts your goal should be within 3' or less.  On short putts it should be either in the hole or within 6".

If you follow that, you should always 2 putt.....minimum.  It ain't easy but it works.

Pete

• mightyquinnn
    8 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2009 10:53 AM

Pete thx for the tips. For me it don't seem to be distance most of the time. The break is hard to judge for me. I just missed a 12 footer for birdie. My score would be great if I wouldnt keep missing these putts. I know that is off the topic about being 10 ft putts :) I have watched the youtube vid and It seems harder for me to use the system of moving the target then using the break from shooting late or early. what system do you guys use?

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2009 6:49 PM

sorry  but never,. perhaps you require glasses

• mightyquinnn
    8 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2009 7:44 PM

priest thx very helpful. great input

• ShawnVanPar
    46 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 10:36 PM

Well...you need to try and take as much break out of it as you can...not really 'ramming it in'...but don't leave e'm near short.Try to leave it like 3 feet past...don't get tenative and hope it drops in...use some speed to drain more 10 feet and under.

• PAGES
RSS