Forums

Help › Forums

Rory's a quitter!

Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:48 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 3:36 PM

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.— Rory Mcilroy left before his round was even over.

McIlroy, who missed the cut in Abu Dhabi and lost in the first round of the Match Play Championship in his previous two starts, made a double bogey on his second hole and put two balls in the water on the 16th hole on his way to a triple bogey.

He hit his approach to the 18th in the water and never finished the hole.

He shook hands with Ernie Ells and Mark Wilson and was on his way, but not before conflicting messages.

McIlroy told three reporters who followed him to his car that it was nothing physical but that he was "not in a good place mentally."

In the parking lot, McIlroy was asked three times if anything was wrong physically and he said no. Golfweek magazine reported he was near tears.

"There's not really much I can say, guys," McIlroy said. "I'm not in a good place mentally, you know?"

An hour later, he released a statement through his management company that he couldn't concentrate because of a sore wisdom tooth.

A sore wisdom tooth? McIlroy was seen eating a sandwich on the 18th fairway before hitting his next shot into the water.

McIlroy, whose manners have been as impeccable as his swing since turning pro, faced criticism for his behavior for the first time in his career.

And though he couldn't wait to get off the course, this much probably didn't cross his mind. By quitting in the middle of a round, he is ineligible for the Vardon Trophy he won last year for having the lowest scoring average on the PGA Tour.

This will only increase rumors that McIlroy is dissatisfied with his golf equipment. He switched from Titleist to Nike at the beginning of the year.

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 5:03 PM

Dont mess with success..

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 1:23 AM

It's the new Nikes he has and gets paid Mega Millions to use them.

Other Golfers when they have changed Brands (I think Tiger is one) only change one or two clubs at a time so they get the hang of em.

Rory got the whole set and has totally wrecked his game at the moment.

-Roger

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 4:59 AM

mantis0014:
    Other Golfers when they have changed Brands (I think Tiger is one) only change one or two clubs at a time so they get the hang of em.

Sometimes it is not a matter of choice. It is how the contract is written. The contract Rory signed may limit what equipment that he is allowed to play. Like I said it is all in how the contract is written.

Take Payne Stewart for example. Stewart had won the PGA and U.S. Open when he left Wilson to sign a $7 million dollar deal with Spalding in 1994. Forced to use game-improvement perimeter weighted irons for the first time -- as well as as the two-piece Top Flite ball --Those game -improvement irons were the same ones that Spalding some is stores like Wal-Mart that later became the Top-flite clubs. They forced him to play with inferior clubs and if he chose to use other clubs he would have been forced to pay back $7 million.

he lost much of his distance control and ability to shape shots,and much of his confidence a well.

He went from sixth on the money list in 1993 to 123rd in 1994. In 1995, Spalding allowed him to switch to a forged blade, and played better. But when he won the 1999 U.S. Open, Stewart didn't have a club contract and was playing a mixed bag that included Mizuno MP-14 irons.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 9:30 AM

mantis0014:

It's the new Nikes he has and gets paid Mega Millions to use them.

Rory got the whole set and has totally wrecked his game at the moment.

-Roger

He needs to take time off and get used to the clubs. Hey anyone know what happened with Anthony Kim and his elbow?

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:03 AM

On the first tee!!

back in his hotel room!

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 12:30 PM
    This post has been deleted.
  • BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2013 8:28 PM

Mental or dental? Only Rory knows. I would expect the young lad to work through these challenges and come back to his winning ways. Time will tell.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2013 12:32 AM

Listening to what the golf guru's on the radio have been saying it's Mental. Hope he works it out and doesn't go into oblivion like others have.

• mgh221
    545 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2013 8:15 PM

if he indeed has a wisdom tooth acting up he really should never have teed it up at all... don't know about y'all but i went through it and you can't even think straight through that pain much less hit a golf ball straight.... and lets face it many players have w/d durring rounds over the years for many reasons. just so happens that the #1 player in the world did it so it's big news... also i wouldn't put too much stock in the club change, if they are giving him issues he'll figure it out he IS that good lol... hell these guys can hit any club you hand them with some work... and lets not be jealous of the dump truck of $$ nike backed up to his house it's not as if they never did that before (tiger.... MJ..... ect) ok i said my peace lets not judge over 2 tourny's lets see where he is in 6 months with the nike's..

peace y'all

• PAGES
RSS