Help › Forums

Inconsistency

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 24 2009 5:28 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hotwir3
    63 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 11:32 PM

This game just doesn't seem consistent.  The only part of this game that seems to be consistent, for me, is putting.  The wind is terribly inconsistent and the meter accuracy seems to be off.

Example:

I aim for the right edge of a bunker that goes down the entire left side of the fairway since there is a slight left to right wind.  I click a tick late (right side of the 'perfect shot' line) pretty much as close to a perfect shot as you can get without getting it, and it turns left and goes into the bunker.

Now, from all my experiences, clicking early makes the shot go left and clicking late makes the shot go right.  How does clicking late (right-bound shot) plus a left to right wind result in a ball that went left of where I was aiming?  This ruined my tourney round as I ended up on the edge of a bunker 200+ yards from the hole on a par 4.

1,644 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2009 8:26 AM

This is an ongoing debate among many users here.  We call it 'deviation', and it is pre-determined before you even take a shot.  It has to do with the precision rating of the club, but it is entirely possible that the pre-determined deviation will offset the wind and any mis-click in the opposite direction.  A lot of us are finding this feature frustrating to say the least.  But for now it's the only way WGT can keep the (somewhat) realism in the scoring numbers (assumption on my part).  Everyone for now has to deal with it until they can develop a better system, otherwise this will just turn into another unrealistic TW console video game, where people can shoot in the 40's.  Personally I don't want this site to turn into that.

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2009 1:56 PM

If WGT actually made the deviation RANDOM, then I think a lot of people would be happier. Granted I'm not happy when one of my shots gets aimed 30ft left of the pin because of a 12 mph cross wind and when I make a perfect strike it starts out headed AT the pin and ends up 30ft right of the pin, but such are the breaks. If I were tibbets, I would have known it was going to start out that far off and adjusted accordingly. ;-)

I think simply having a aiming "area" or circle would be more realistic, as opposed to a point. At least then, a RANDOM variation would be ok, so long as a perfect swing resulted in the shot ending up in the aiming area (barring sloping terrain, etc, that affect the ball's path once it hits the ground). Right now, I think the biggest complaint should be that the variation in the shot direction ISN'T random. It needs to be.

• Hotwir3
    63 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2009 5:29 PM

So for the first person shooters out there like me, it's like having a cone and your bullets travel randomly within that cone.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2009 7:08 PM

Basically, yeah.  After they do that they should reverse the swing speeds.  Fastest meters for the bad clubs and slower meters for the good ones.

Now you've got one hell of a golf game.

• Hotwir3
    63 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 8:04 PM

I completely agree with you nivlac.  My purchase is making it harder to play the game when it should be easier.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 8:30 PM

Totally disagree.  You don't reward higher skill level by then making it easier to play the game! 

How low do you think I will score if you make it easier for me?  56?  54?  You get the idea.

All the way back to the Charity Challenge days of WGT, the more accurate clubs had a faster swing speed.  If you had the skill, you could use them.  If you didn't, you needed to stick to the basic clubs, which had a slower swing speed.  This makes sense. 

Beginners=lower skill.  Why on earth would you want to make it harder for them than for the people who actually have some skill?  All that does is widen that gap between the haves and have nots. 

You want better clubs?  Better get used to the idea that they will be extremely hard to use, because that's the way they have it set up, and it's not going to change.  If you have the skill, you'll be able to handle it.  If not, back to the slower speed clubs.

Think of it like racing cars.  Sure, driving that Ferrari compared to your SUV will get you more speed and a better chance at winning the race, but you'd better be up to the task of driving it, or you'll end up in the ditch. 

• Hotwir3
    63 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 9:29 PM

Well tibbets, I agree with ya.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 9:31 PM

I see your point but hear me out, I probably wasn't as clear as I should've been.  Something to consider is this idea proposes a reverse in swing meter speeds, but not an exact reversal.  This would just be a progression from fastest to slowest, but not necessarily exactly the same as it is now.  I also understand that the current system is intended to emulate real life swing speeds.  I'm just throwin' out ideas that have been rather successful elsewhere.  The main purpose behind this idea is to progress to a point where as a pro, you have a very precise swing.  Real life Pros make good contact most of the time.  Amateurs do not.  A reverse would reflect that more accurately.

Pair the faster meters with the largest forgiveness zones and lowest precisions.  True, this results in clubs that new players will find hard to hit the mark, but ultimately they won't suffer much due to the high forgiveness zones.  In other words only the worst of the worst mishits would be severely penalized.  You might not hit the mark a lot, but the ball would still be generally be going in the right direction otherwise.

Pair the slower meters with smallest forgiveness zones and highest precisions.  Now you have clubs that may be easier to hit to the mark on, but even the slighest mishits will be off target.  The challenge is still there for players like yourself because missing isn't really an option anymore due to the small forgiveness zone. I don't believe this would necessarily make the game any easier for us because of that.  We all miss and when we do, we'll be penalized for it with an errant shot.

When you combine all these factors together, I think you'd end up with similiar results to what we see now.  We just get there a little differently.  I think it's practical, but you could surely make a case for either system.

Also, from a buyers standpoint I need to see more tangible enhancements with club upgrades than just a pretty graphic and a few dots on the chart.  I don't think the average golfer will directly see the effects of precision or forgiveness.  You can kind of see the effect on the spin, but you REALLY notice the swing speed.  To some, this may appear as a downgrade because apart from a distance increase, meter speed is the most obvious change.  The ability to buy a slower meter is a very tangible upgrade.  When people get their new clubs they will clearly see the advantages to what they've bought over what they had previously.  I think they'd move more units because upgrading clubs would appear quite appealing to any player looking to sharpen their game.  You'd certainly have a lot less people scratching their heads, bagging their non-refundable Pings and coming to the forums to make their first ever post about how their new clubs suck.

• Hotwir3
    63 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 9:40 PM

Well...  I am in the middle on this one now.

• PAGES
RSS