Forums

Help › Forums

How does WGT monitor New Accounts

Wed, Jul 16 2014 2:04 PM (78 replies)
  • phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 6:13 AM

I'm not too sure how they would monitor new accounts, that would be a big job unless they did it through IP.  WGT is getting something like 3500 new accounts per day last time I looked at it, that would be a full time job for a fairly large staff unless they had a way to automate it.  I can tell you for  a fact that they do follow up and check things out.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 6:34 AM

alosso:

All their known measures which I described before also add to their revenue while the monitoring demanded here is costly, even the solution proposed by you. Evil to him who evil thinks.

I was proposing a pixel payment though, there are plenty of people they could hire that my proposed pixel payment would be only a slight on their bottom line as i.e if I were to be hired they would only lose a hat or a towel occasionally, cause they know full well that the days of them getting into my wallet are over, and there are plenty of others here as well that if you were to provide them with a few thousand credits it would have almost no effect on their bottom line.

Also the amount of time a paid employee must spend to monitor these accounts when reported would be reduced as the pixel paid volunteers would be providing the full report.

Why must we always need to discuss the so called  ip address solution, it cannot work, is easily manipulated, and is just the most simple minded non solution there is.

If someone is suggesting that only 1 account per ip, then WGT may as well close up shop, because not everyone is tied to a chained down desktop anymore. Get out of the dark ages jeeze, life has moved forward since the 80's.

In my case alone, 2 adults play and 1 teenager play WGT from the same household, in addition I travel with a laptop and have a cable, dsl and cellular connection, a work connection on a adsl line, a T1 line at the office, often will play from various coffee shops and oodles of hotels.

So the dumb solution of 1 ip address per account would limit my household to 3 accounts, and me personally to 1500 accounts, maybe more.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 6:43 AM

The IP address is not a panacea. I'm the only person using my IP, but I know a husband and wife who play as a duo. I also know a few people who play from the library.

The mechanics (and proceeds) of cheating by multi-account are pretty obvious. Those should be thoroughly addressed. And yes, it's easy (if not trivial) to analyze numbers in the database and automatically raise flags.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 7:06 AM

And I just thought of another, before bed 1 could simply disconnect the modem and then turn it back on the next day, boom new ip address, not to mention spoofing, proxies etc........

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:01 AM

How does WGT monitor New Accounts?

They dont .......... do they? 

• KevinFleenor
    1,455 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:44 AM

WGTicon:

how would you actively monitor all accounts at all times>?

I don't think it has to be made to sound as Hard to do as monitoring accounts at All times. 

WGT needs to make public a statement/policy concerning what the penalties are for being caught multi-accounting/sandbagging. 

First, the policy would have to be made, and that's up to you folks.  Find one, and suspend for a week? Obviously flag that user for further investigation. Second offence: account closed and credits/equipment stripped? Followed up with an investigation to linked accounts?

Right now, this is running rampant because a similar police is not in place. 

* as a caveat, the policy would have to actually be enforced. The policy itself would likely end a certain percentage of cheaters' attempts, but if it's not enforced, then it means nothing. 

If it was spelled out in the TOS with a legal disclaimer, with an appeal process presented, and with a little attention to the detective work from members "turning in" these guys, I think a big dent could be made in this practice. 

Without the attempt to at least make a policy that can be adhered to, then further discussion on this topic is completely pointless. (read: wgt no care)

WGTicon:

I prefer to trust every member of the community, until that trust is betrayed.

I prefer it that way too, but it doesn't work. People recognize these cheats day in and day out, tourney after tourney. Trust in the community is something that needs to be established, not granted at first sight.

Obviously it's best to assume innocence until proven guilty, but for those brought up & flagged by members as un-trustworthy, the real members deserve to be able to TRUST that the powers in the community will do something about it. 

Without that form of trust going on, you can't blame a vast amount of the membership base around here for any discontent they may have towards wgt itself. 

All anyone's asking for in this regard is fairness, honesty, and a bit of follow-through. 

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 10:51 AM

Steve2golf:

LOOK HERE

I'm not naming names, but selling off everything and gifting, then likely loosing the accumulated credits in a blitz once legend status is achieved is pretty freaking obvious.

Nope in case you are wondering I have not linked directly to the profile. You need to do your own bit of sleuthing there, I have provided a head start.

Not that difficult to follow, Steve ;-)

If anyone cares, here's the translation of a part of a wall post, written in Croatian in a  100% Dalmatian dialect:

"old friend part 2"

"You're changing profiles as frequent as I'm changing socks, lol!"

It's obvious from his activities that he opens new ones BEFORE he closes the old ones.

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 12:23 PM

boxersnort:

PUHOLINO:

hyena64:
    Nothing at all personal against Icon, I promise, as I don't believe she makes the rules

Erm, he's a guy.

ah it's many people not just one & I agree 100% with hyena64 - hire programmers WG's - problem is they don't & won't spend the money - that's what we're here 4 - WG doesn't care - they don't care about anything - they pretend 2 but if they did - we wouldn't have any problems - there would be nothing to bi tch about - Man U People Need 2 Wake Up - Heck they don't even answer emails

Considering you've accumulated so much knowledge on what WGT is all about and you've done that in less than a week, you must be a proud restart ;-)

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 1:00 PM

bubbadork:
    The IP address is not a panacea.

As WGT pointed out to me maybe a year ago when I asked if they could just block the IP's of suspected multi account holders, that  many smaller countries have very few IP's And as you pointed out there are people for what ever reason play at a library. I played  at a library 3 days about 2 years ago to keep my consecutive day streak alive when because of a flood I was in a shelter so I could get to work until the water went down. 

RSS