Forums

Help › Forums

How does WGT monitor New Accounts

Wed, Jul 16 2014 2:04 PM (78 replies)
  • alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:03 PM

Can WGT please give an explanation what is done to vet new accounts and audit gifting. Multi-accounting always has been a problem that certain low life will get to a certain Tier, realise that they have certain limitations at the new tier, so just restart a new ID.

Sadly this hurts the genuine new players when they enter Free Tournaments, RG's or challenges, as they are often effectively being cheated by not having a level playing field.

Apart from the player numbers they can boast to advertisers, these restarts will seldom generate new revenue as equipment (via sell back to the pro shop) will be "gifted" from the old ID and the new players may well give up in disgust when they see newbies shooting so low. Yes the multi accounter will get moved up but they probably dont care, earn enough and the cycle continues.

All I want is an explanation from WGT as to how they are trying to combat this problem (obviously not detailed and confidential information). I know they have the tools to do so and after all, when many of the community see whats happening, why cant WGT.

And I don't want the answer if you think a player is.....report them. After all we cannot use this forum for naming players so I think the community is owed a good explanation.

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:27 PM

alanti:
    Sadly this hurts the genuine new players when they enter Free Tournaments, RG's or challenges,

It also hurts WGT cause some of us old timers will not play them for the same reason .

OPY

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:41 PM

I will say this, the lower tier players are being robbed, simple as that, shame. I would also say the number of multiple accounts is staggering, i think if they did something half of the membership would be gone,,,,, :)

Gerald

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:46 PM

geraldlarousse:

I will say this, the lower tier players are being robbed, simple as that, shame.

Gerald

Very true Gerald, but also as OPY says, old timers as well. Sadly there is another loser in it all, and thats WGT -  losing it's integrity

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 4:29 PM

alanti:

Can WGT please give an explanation what is done to vet new accounts and audit gifting. Multi-accounting always has been a problem that certain low life will get to a certain Tier, realise that they have certain limitations at the new tier, so just restart a new ID.

Sadly this hurts the genuine new players when they enter Free Tournaments, RG's or challenges, as they are often effectively being cheated by not having a level playing field.

Apart from the player numbers they can boast to advertisers, these restarts will seldom generate new revenue as equipment (via sell back to the pro shop) will be "gifted" from the old ID and the new players may well give up in disgust when they see newbies shooting so low. Yes the multi accounter will get moved up but they probably dont care, earn enough and the cycle continues.

All I want is an explanation from WGT as to how they are trying to combat this problem (obviously not detailed and confidential information). I know they have the tools to do so and after all, when many of the community see whats happening, why cant WGT.

And I don't want the answer if you think a player is.....report them. After all we cannot use this forum for naming players so I think the community is owed a good explanation.

+1.

• roadruner150
    29 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 4:48 PM

Easy just get your new account verified through a cell phone.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 5:37 PM

We don't actively monitor new accounts. To do that would require cloning 30 of me in a Jem'Hdar facility.

We do follow all the reports we receive and while we cannot disclose the results, they do happen:)

-wgticon

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 6:00 PM

WGTicon:
    We don't actively monitor new accounts. To do that would require cloning 30 of me

And Icon does more than enough to help us ,  So we as the community need to stand true and do our best to help Icon !

This is our game , This is our community , This is our house ,

We the players of this game have a bigger part than just a player / # .

It is nice to see how the community bands together to watch the back of all the other players that want a Good Clean Game .

OPY   iaaRft

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2013 6:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. LOL @ cloning 30 Icons. I do understand that there are so many hours in a day and action is usually taken after being reported by the community.

However in the latest instance, this player has won hundreds of skins against innocent players. What surprises me is this player has won a lot in a short period - I would have thought WGT should have had system in place to monitor such a rise and would have been flashing warning lights and alarms sounding.

What I would like to see implemented is a preventative measure placed during the signup process. These could vary from Cell phone verification, or actually mailing a verification code to the pyhsical address. I also understand that this will not eliminate these people, but would significantly reduce the rate of the abuse. Then just run a database check to find duplicates that can then be investigated further.

Edit - OPY is right and I totally agree that Icon is probably snowed under these days - 30 more would be great lol.

It is our community but generally we only get to see the result after the damage has been done, This is where WGT should be thinking of preventative measures if they are serious of combatting this issue.

RSS