Forums

Help › Forums

Gallery

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 17 2009 6:24 PM (9 replies)
  • Weirsy
    84 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 3:36 PM

I'd like to see players able to view someone elses round upon invite. Just to see how others manage the course etc. It would be great to also see a replay of say the top five winners of the closest to the pin contests. Seeing what club they chose, wind, meter etc.... would be cool as well.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 4:56 PM

Hi Weirsy, thanks for your suggestion.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 6:28 PM

Sorry, but seeing exactly how I played every hole is kind of like cheating, don't you think?  I've been lobbying hard to get rid of the "follow the leader' elements of the game(which WGT is doing a great job of btw), so any step in the direction you're suggesting is kind of like going backwards in my opinion.  All you'll end up with is people copycatting what they see, and that's not very skillful.

The joy is in the discovery...for yourself!  Practice and learn how to do it your own way!

• Weirsy
    84 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 6:13 AM

Tibbets, I'm suggesting watching as a spectator, not as you're playing, which would be like cheating. You cannot as a player ask or look in a players bag. This is no different than watching golf on TV. Commentators tell you what club they are choosing, what shot they may be trying to make etc.... I think it would be fun as well to watch a foresome of the best on the site go at it. I've already seen some of yours and others replays, and I can tell that I don't approach some of the shots the same way and that's my preference. Also, if the game were a little more realistic, than I couldn't approach the hole the same way if my length, preference of shot shape, preference of approach lengthare different. ie: Tiger from the deep rough 190 out goes for it, Weirsy lays up :-(.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 7:42 AM

And herein lies the difference between this game and real-life golf. I'm a 6-handicapper...if I'm playing with a 20 handicapper, and he is obviously having trouble with some shots, I'll offer advice to help him better his game...not force him to listen, but an offer nontheless. I'll always give advice if I'm asked, gladly, because we all want to play better and the competition can only improve as their game improves. What one calls cheating, another calls helping a fellow golfer.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 7:50 AM

If you peruse the forums, you'll see that I'm always willing to help people out with things.  What I was talking about has nothing to do with helping someone out, more about having all the nuances of how someone plays their game layed out there for everyone to see and copy.  There's a difference between telling someone to add a club if they are in a particular type of rough, and showing them exactly where to aim and what power to use to execute a particular shot.  Sorry if that seems 'unhelpful' to you, but if I spent the time figuring out how to execute certain things, you should do the same.  This is a friendly, 'gentlemans' game, but my every round is not a clinic on how to improve your game.

• Weirsy
    84 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 8:27 AM

Then don't "Invite" anybody, as was part of my suggestion. I don't want to see every round either. And yes, maybe I don't want to invite someone that I will go head to head with at some point. They only thing different in this case is perhaps how someone exploits a glitch in the software. It's my .02 that thinks it would be fun to be able to view a foursome in a tournament etc... Better yet, put a highlight reel together for the day.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 5:35 PM

I'm not asking anyone for help here, and you won't ever see me do so, Mr. Tibbets. But, rest assured, everyone has seen you turn down a fellow golfer's request for merely wanting to see a replay, or be offered a chance to see a replay, of a game. And then you topped yourself with an accusation of cheating. Golf has always been a gentlemens game, but fortunately for some, one needn't pass such a test in order to be allowed to participate.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 6:20 PM

Yes, speaking of etiquette...Geesh Joel, why don't you really tell us how you feel about me?

Play the game, keep the personal jabs to yourself.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2009 6:24 PM

Thread's gettin off track.

Spectator mode is a good idea in general.  It would be nice to see a list of "matches in progress" that you could drop in on and watch live play.  When watching live play, it should be just like waiting for your partner in your foursome.  You wouldn't be able see the meter, the exact club being used and (for this to work) no aim either.  You would only see the ball, ball flight and where it lands.

The problem currently is that the game can barely handle 4 people connected.  Add spectators and that's a recipe for laggy meters, disconnections and general slow play.  In time perhaps.

RSS