Help › Forums

Low Scores

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 20 2009 8:26 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Futures
    79 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 9:23 AM

I think the game needs to be more realistic, in regards to the scores.  Who in real life can average 58 shots per round as we see on the amateur leaderboard? Yes, this isn't real life but in my opinion it should be more real than scores in the 50's.

Some suggestions:

1. Do not allow players to leave a game (bad round) without having to continue it later on.  Save it, yes, but we should not be allowed to erase it all together.

2. Unpredictable Weather:  We need windy days, days without wind, days with light rain, cold and warm days. By playing in all different types of unpredictable weather, it should be harder to shoot 12 or 14 under par, or even 18 under. 

3. Driving, Approaches, Putting (basically the whole game): Simply put, the game is too easy.  I don't know how you should fix it, but fix it in such a way that you look at amateurs' actual statistics--per round-- and then build your format around those statistics. 

Basically, neither amateurs nor pros go as low as we see on this website, so to me the game is too fake.  It would still be  fun and enjoyable (EVEN MORE SO!!!)  if the scores were higher and more unpredictable. 

What we need is a system in which someone could shoot 63,  and then shoot a 75 the following day. 

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 9:48 AM

While I agree changes should be considered, the problem with a bad round is that it could be related to issues with WGT or the persons computer, and not their skill.  There needs to be allowances for that.

I think the individual skill should grow as you get better.  i.e. your driving accuracy, and GIR, your putts per round,  all of which add up to an accuracy allowance.

• Futures
    79 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 1:37 PM

I have also thought about bad rounds due to a person's computer or WGT; but if that is unavoidable, I would still rather have zero round eliminations.   Even among professionals,  scores often vary from mid sixties to mid seventies, or worse, depending on conditions..ect.  Here, one can virtually go out and shoot under par every single time and not even the pros can do that.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 2:16 PM

Futures, what you have to remember is that this is a video game.  As far as that goes, I have been playing and writing video games for 30 years now.  I say without reservation that I am at least as good at most video games that I play as professional golfers are at golfing, and certainly have more experience than most golfers on the PGA Tour do.  The big difference?  They get paid large sums of money.  But don't let that fool you into thinking that just because they are 'pros', they should be better than some of the players are here at this game. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 2:23 PM

I can already shoot mid-seventies on the course for real.  I don't wanna do that here too. :(

I don't want to see people putting up scores in the 40's for 18, but I think the scoring is more or less realistic at this point.  Could use a stroke or two more maybe.

• Futures
    79 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 4:13 PM

Unlike  the 70's and 80's, sports video games of today have become much more realistic.  Look at Pong, and look at what we have today.  I think it is good that sports video games become as realistic as possible, and I think a lot of people would agree.  And I think that along those lines, the sports game should reflect real scoring--this game does not even come close.   I don't have a problem with a skill tier and a top 10 or whatever. I actually think WGT needs to include the pro level.  All  WGT needs to do is make the game more difficult so no one can actually maintain a scoring average that is better than the best amateurs, or pros. 

To sum up: this game is pretty cool and has a pretty good sense of reality---From someone who has played a lot of real golf and is capable of shooting par.  But...the scoring is fake and it doesn't need to be. 

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 4:54 PM

When last I checked, the best PC simulation of golf on the market was EA Sports Tiger Woods series.  If you think the scoring on this game is ridiculous, try playing that system.  380 yd drives, pinpoint precision...who needs putting skills when you're putting for eagle from inside 5 ft every time?   I could regularly shoot in the 40's for 18.  The only thing that ever kept me in the 50's was increasing the wind speeds to 25mph+, which I did frequently just to add some 'realism' to the game.

Yes, the scores here are below the scores posted on the PGA Tour.  As I said before, however, this is a video game, not the real thing.  The number of variables to execute a shot here are minimal.  In such a simplistic format, it's only natural to expect that scoring would be lower here than in the real thing.   WGT has already included some external variables to make things more difficult.  New tiers and such are coming, so I'm sure we can expect some new challenges to face there as well.  In the meantime, try and keep positive about what's going on here.  This is as close to real golf as it gets in the digital realm.

• Futures
    79 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 6:41 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention: WGT needs to make it so that the pin placements change to new locations on the greens. The same pin locations makes the game too easy.  Anyway, if someone can shoot say 55, really, how difficult could it be to change the game so that number goes to a 65 instead?  I don't think it would be so difficult. Actually, I remember when the new clubs came out, everyone was complaining that the impact bar was unfair...shots going astray, scores went up. So I know that making the game more difficult is really possible. 

• Noodon
    56 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 8:41 PM

For me when I see the low scores posted it just makes me want to play and practice more...or actually

learn this video game better. I can see that the frequency of play in this game is somewhat similar

to the frequency of my actual golf game. The more I play the better I get....the more I practice the less

I miss-hit the ball...that goes for here and out there on the real grass. I think it's gonna be a long

tough task until we see pins move and the bugs worked out, as I still experience some odd things

from time to time. I think the best is to increase the tier system ASAP as to not frustrate the average

player in here as I would consider myself...hovering around 63 to 65 average all the time. I see Amature

Tournaments with 60"s posted and don't even enter them why waste my money....even in the weekly stuff.

One added thing I think all the tournaments should be 18  holes, get rid of the 9 hole stuff it's faster to

play but tournaments for anything should be 18 holes. Still enjoy the game with all the frustrations it

brings.....have a nice day

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2009 9:28 PM

the rating isnt a scoring avg. I had an avg just over 67, shot 67, dipped to in 66's. Then i just shot another 67 and went down more. i dont know how exactly they get it but its not and exact scoring average

• PAGES
RSS