• PAGES
  • Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 3:59 PM

What's in Rory's bag?

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 4:02 PM

What about his Nike underwear? Nike hair product? Nike shaving gel?

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 4:05 PM

But oh dear . . . not getting on with his new putter too well lol

Nike are shelling out an eye-watering £150million for Rory McIlroy to use their golf clubs... but the world No 1 has ditched their putter after just one round.

McIlroy is enduring a torrid start to life as a Nike man, after missing the cut at the Abu Dhabi Championship, his debut tournament under the American sportswear giant's umbrella.

After shooting a ragged three-over-par 75 in his opening round, McIlroy blamed rustiness following eight weeks out of competitive action ahead of any teething problems with his new clubs.

But in Friday's second round he was spotted using his old Scotty Cameron putter rather than the Nike Method putter he used on Thursday.

Any hope McIlroy had that the switch would herald a change in his fortunes proved in vain, however, as he soon dropped shots at the fourth, fifth and seventh holes, and missed the cut after a second successive 75 saw him finish on six over par.

McIlroy was asked twice during his Nike unveiling press conference whether he retained the right to use the Scotty Cameron putter, a club manufactured by his former equipment manufacturer, Titleist.

He dodged the question, saying: 'I’ve no comment to make on that.'

When asked again he said 'I’m not here to get into specifics about the contract.'

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 4:11 PM

WGTpizza:

What about his Nike underwear? Nike hair product? Nike shaving gel?

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

Lol Peets :)

• barbarella24
    513 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 5:35 PM

Have I got this right? A virtual ball, which doesn't exist, costs 33 cents less than a real 1 (16 cents less on the higher level balls)!!!!!!!

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:00 PM

While I do agree with the argument of how a virtual ball could possibly cost almost as much as a real one...I feel that it is not quite on topic with what the OP had in mind for this thread and we should try stay true with his intentions.

Golf is a game that is bursting at the seems with money glittered over the top players on both the major Tours. Sponsors are more than willing to fork out copious amounts of money on star players to enhance their own image and the image of their gear being used. Often this marriage is a match made in heaven, however every now and again this fruitful connections form s a tear and eventually they split altogether. Often the new sponsor a player turns to can be just as if not more profitable than the last for the player, however there are instances where it is not.

Case in point, the late Payne Steward. He joined a Spalding after having a fantastic relationship with Wilson for many years. The year before he made this transition he was 6th on the money list and looking to close in ever closer that that crowning spot. The same time the following year after being forced to use Spalding gear he dropped down to 123rd on the money list.

Nick Price did something similar if not a little more reckless. He joined a budding company called Atrigon with the promise he could design his own set of irons but on the premise he must play with their driver, the only club the company had in production. His form in the following two years is more than a suffice record of how this marriage did not bare much fruit.

Cory Pavin found himself in the same boat after winning the 1995 US Open and followed it up with a solid year in '96 while using Cleveland gear. His decision to join a Japanese manufacturer would see him being out of the winners circle for the next 12 years!

Rory is a talent that comes along just once in a generation, however the talents mentioned above could almost be regarded in the same esteem.

Golf is a game of feel. Once you have that touch it is hard to stop a top player from claiming all the cookies over the weekend, and just the grey matter between your ears could stop an inform player from following the golden brick road to the winners circle. However if you cannot find your touch because the gear you're using feels somewhat alien, you have to deal with trying to find that touch and dealing with the thoughts in your head at the same time.

It could be that he is in that transition phase and soon he'll find his feet and jump back on the horse...However, history shows that once great players have found it hard to get onto a horse they do not know or trust...The horse may be fast, but if you cannot ride it, it's as good as a donkey on a dust road pulling a cart of beans.

• barbarella24
    513 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:34 AM

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:46 AM

Did not mean to offend, perhaps the way I put my word together then appeared so, but it was not my intention.

My apologies barbarella.

Your post has great merit and I agree with your views.

I regret the the misunderstanding.

• barbarella24
    513 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 2:49 AM

Apologies from me too, I over-reacted and removed my post.

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:11 AM

No apologies needed :)

Have a wonderful day.

• PAGES
RSS