Forums

Help › Forums

LEGEND TIER BS

Wed, Jan 9 2013 6:20 PM (34 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:13 AM

BrickHands:
    I don't know if any of you know this, but WGT has now cheapened the LEGEND TIER

I'd call it watering down the talent. The latest fad is protecting that sub-60 average as a Legend and then exposing oneself in an AS match simply by the wretched play and obvious lack of experience from the longer tees and faster greens.

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:30 AM

I am pretty sure I know who BH is talking about and how he got to Legend Tier.  Pretty amazing I think that someone would blatently come right out and tell people that he was going to beat a Legend in Match play and become a Legend.  Like most all of you, I worked my rear end off to get to Legend and working hard right now to get to TL, just because it's there and I want to achieve it. I wouldn't be caught dead Tiering up by using a sandbagger loophole, what a shame!

• Glossopade
    518 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:05 AM

As someone who was only promoted to the Legend Tier on January 1st, I too feel qualified to voice an opinion on the original post, which in the main, I agree with completely.

Nobody will ever accuse me of the old 'match play' trick, as I only have 26 rounds to my name. I've never played a ready go and probably only a handful of alternate shot games. Pretty boring really, but all I've done is stroke play. If anything, as a Tour Master with a dropping average, I would have avoided match play against Legend status, just in case I won. I didn't and still don't believe to be ready for Legend status. I just don't see the point of having that rank if you haven't got the game to back it up.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have that game and since New Years Day, I have not enjoyed what the promotion has thrown at me and I have hid myself away, not playing one single game against anybody else, for fear of..... I don't know...... ridicule maybe ?

If the idiots want Legend status, just for the badge that goes with it...... they can gladly have mine. I was never happier than when I was at Master and Tour Master.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:23 AM

Glossopade:
    Unfortunately, I don't believe I have that game and since New Years Day, I have not enjoyed what the promotion has thrown at me and I have hid myself away, not playing one single game against anybody else, for fear of..... I don't know...... ridicule maybe ?

Don't think this way, Gloss. As sappy as it sounds, embrace it and play. When I run across someone like yourself in an AS match, and it's obvious the experience is not there, I try to turn it into a learning experience for the new Legend. By try, I mean feel the player out and see if they're receptive to help. This doesn't mean tell them what to play, rather  talk about how to play.

Oftentimes, the round turns into a good one with the other Legends in the group chipping in, no pun intended. Everybody winds up sharing stuff and you come away richer in game experience. The key is playing and if some douche wants to belittle you then just consider the source and play inspired. Even without bomber clubs, every course here is quite playable in some fashion, clubs notwithstanding. You can do it. Don't forsake a fun game, make it fun.   :-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:23 AM

Glossopade:

If the idiots want Legend status, just for the badge that goes with it...... they can gladly have mine. I was never happier than when I was at Master and Tour Master.

No one is going to ridicule you,( and if they do then they're the ones being ridiculous)..

It's a steeper learning curve for some than others, but you made Legend for real so in the near future you'll look back at this post and think "Did I really write that" 

Andy

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:24 AM

I did it the old school way myself, took 1608 ranked rounds, a ridiculous amount of money, and an obsession of hours and hours sitting at this damn lap top. I don't feel cheated by the system. For those who have made it to Legend in record time, I have no comment. We can simply watch your score history, and decide for ourselves what you really are. If you conduct yourself in a matter consistent with your tier and ability, then enjoy your status. If you are a Token Plastic Legend, you can't hide it, it will rear it's ugly head. Some of you will never know the challenge and the enjoyment of growing honestly. I played with several of my friends who were Legends when I was a Master. On the rare occasion, and I mean rare occasion when I would beat them, they would give me all the props in the world, and I got great virtual pleasure from it. They never threw a game, they wanted to teach my old punk ass a lesson for even attempting to beat them. These were the best lessons I ever received on WGT. I will mention 2 of these players out of the greatest of respect. One was the Dog Boss (Canine Supervisor), and the other was the one and only Strange Magic. They were very quick with the Great Shot comment as well as the What The Hell Were You Thinking comment. Great memories that can never be replaced. For any one thinking of taking the easy way out, stop and think about it. Do you really want to do it? Totally your choice, will it really mean anything at all.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:37 AM

I put this in another thread a week or so ago ... similar topic.   Just another point of view

--------------

I'm guessing some of you folks would have quit had you been here in the fall of 2010.    Lots of us were pushed into a Legend tier overnight.

Personally I went to bed one day a Master with a 68.5 average .. and woke up the next day a Legend.  Still can't figure out why.    This happened to a lot of the guys / girls I play with.   Took me over 2 yrs to work my average down to low 60's ... and to learn the game well enough to play the Legend tee boxes & Greens.  Even now my game isn't even close to the real good players.  

Here is a tip that will can relieve a lot of the stress some of you are having with this.    At the end of the day .. WGT is a game in which things change all the time.   Either learn it, deal with it, and get better  ... or don't .... complaining about it to WGT has never ...  nor will ever change a thing.

Just saying ...

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:14 PM

YankeeJim:

Glossopade:

Don't think this way, Gloss. As sappy as it sounds, embrace it and play. When I run across someone like yourself in an AS match, and it's obvious the experience is not there, I try to turn it into a learning experience for the new Legend. By try, I mean feel the player out and see if they're receptive to help. This doesn't mean tell them what to play, rather  talk about how to play.

Oftentimes, the round turns into a good one with the other Legends in the group chipping in, no pun intended. Everybody winds up sharing stuff and you come away richer in game experience. The key is playing and if some douche wants to belittle you then just consider the source and play inspired. Even without bomber clubs, every course here is quite playable in some fashion, clubs notwithstanding. You can do it. Don't forsake a fun game, make it fun.   :-)

While I've not had the pleasure, yet, of playing with YJ and his merry band of misfits, I can attest to this sentiment, Gloss.  You simply cannot get discouraged if you still enjoy the game.  I have received more tips than I can ever give back from players like YJ that just like to chat and help out when solicited.  The players I have come across are 10:1 at least over the jerks.  The trick is you can't be timid about asking.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:16 PM

Choppography:
    While I've not had the pleasure, yet, of playing with YJ and his merry band of misfits

Who you calling a misfit? :)

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:38 PM

Dammit, Lou you stole my thunder. Hey, at least you guys got to play from the ladies tees for quite sometime, earn some creds. We got shoved to legend overnight without so much as any explaination. JB

RSS