Forums

Help › Forums

ALT-SHOT Mode of play

Tue, Dec 14 2010 4:41 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • shaghar
    514 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 9:08 PM

Having played online golf games for a while , back in the links days some of my most enjoyable times were playing what we called " Teamers " teamers were 2 V 2 and the mode of play was ALT-SHOT  that way this works is ... 

TEAM A 

Player 1 Drives the ball down the fairway 
    Player 2 Hits the 2nd Shot into the bunker
    Player 1  Hits the 3rd shot out of the bunker onto the green
    Player 2  tries to putt the ball into the hole but Misses the par putt  ( DOH ) 
    Player 1 Putts the ball into the hole then abuses his playing partner lol :)  

i think you get the idea , this mode of play is very very fun and i think it would be a great addition to the game 

thoughts ? 

Shags

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:02 PM

Yes Shag,  Alt-Shot would be an even more ideal upgrade than all those avatars and stupid awards put together.

Warren

• rossbr4
    57 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:07 PM

I agree with you there. I would think that the best fit for ALT-Shot would be under Multiplayer where the 4 players would be divided into 2 v 2 groups. That would be at least a good start to the idea and maybe WGT could see how players like the game. I would think that it could be like the Match play game, sort-of, and you could earn points for the tin through diamond standings depending on if you win or not.  From there tournaments and other competitions could of course form.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:23 PM

Shags...Right you are sir...no better format for golf sims than team alt-shot.  It is fun, it takes less time than bestball (which we can play now) or scramble.  Most of all it encourages and continually refreshes friendships made at the WGT....HB3

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:41 PM

Not sure I agree with Ross.   I think a better fit for "Alternate Shot" would be in Multiplayer where 2 players could be divided into 1 vs 1 groups.   Just my opinion.  (wink wink)

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:24 AM

lvietri:

Not sure I agree with Ross.   I think a better fit for "Alternate Shot" would be in Multiplayer where 2 players could be divided into 1 vs 1 groups.   Just my opinion.  (wink wink)

How do you play Alt-Shot if you are by yourself in 1 vs 1?

Warren

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:47 AM

LOL .. Warren you made me chuckle.   Exactly my point responding to Ross's statement... i.e. the "wink wink"...

• Solid1
    95 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 2:08 PM

I couldn't agree more about needing an Alt-shot  mode of play ,unfortunately only ex-links players know how much fun it is .

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:20 PM

I think the Alt Shot format is great fun and would be liked by many here. Playing with a partner against other team's in Alt Shot Stroke play, or Alt Shot Match play would be an excellent addition to this game. I have played much of it in other online golf game's and can attest to the great fun you can have playing together with a partner. Hopefully someday WGT will be interested in this and find a way to include it as a game choice.

There's only one problem I see that stands in the way before it could be possible. Since joining in October of 2009 I have only played one time in a foursome where all four people actually stayed and finished the game, only once.  In the Alt Shot format when one player disconnects or quits, the game cant continue and is over. When I think of the frequency that players leave games I cant imagine how it might work in the present type scenario which usually involves strangers...    best of luck WGT 

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:36 PM

Solid ... ex links players .... or anyone who's ever played golf :) ... it's not that big a secret.

And Trumpy .... i play in 4 somes all the time and we all finish ... now i have to agree .. it's not a "pick up" game with people I don't know.  It's with folks I know and we arrange the games by sending IM's to each other.   Try it with some of the folks you play with regularly .... it's great to have all 4 finish.

• PAGES
RSS