3,522 Posts
    Thu, Aug 14 2014 5:04 AM

First post has been updated.

Eric

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Sat, Aug 23 2014 12:39 AM

I just finish  my first ready go on uneven lie in kiawah

Before that i  never practice, never play  a single game on uneven lie.

I score 66, i will maybe finish 20 not better (lol) 

I hit  90% of fairways and green in regulation help me (because i try to hit  most possible in the center of fairways and greens), and when i hit rough i try punch and save some par.  I don't have  play  a single bunker shot or  shot very close to the hole  in the rough but when i read the posts here  i'm sure will be  hard to mastering.

What impressed me,  it's some players score 55, 56 exactly the same score as  they play ready go with even lie, wonderfull they master the uneven lie so good, congratulation.

Like usual sorry for my bad english, still worse than my game lol

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Aug 23 2014 1:31 AM

micheldess:

I just finish  my first ready go on uneven lie in kiawah

Before that i  never practice, never play  a single game on uneven lie.

I score 66, i will maybe finish 20 not better (lol) 

I hit  90% of fairways and green in regulation help me (because i try to hit  most possible in the center of fairways and greens), and when i hit rough i try punch and save some par.  I don't have  play  a single bunker shot or  shot very close to the hole  in the rough but when i read the posts here  i'm sure will be  hard to mastering.

What impressed me,  it's some players score 55, 56 exactly the same score as  they play ready go with even lie, wonderfull they master the uneven lie so good, congratulation.

Like usual sorry for my bad english, still worse than my game lol

Wow, 66 first match without trying it before is really great. grats.

As you can see anyone with some understanding of aiming to compensate the lie can get great results in no time.

Regards, Eric

• duxrule911
    1 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:23 AM

Does it work to just move your aim until it goes from yellow to green or will you still be off line?

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:15 PM

Thank you Eric, you're kind

My second try was on the front 9 cabo,  i score 30 ans finish second, but then again cabo is an easy course, just have to be  precise and hit fairways and green not too difficult

I try today the best of par 4 ready go , miss some fairways and after miss some approachs, result, i score 41  (+5) long time i don't score so bad

We can see i have a lots  adjustement  and progress to make

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 3:28 AM

duxrule911:

Does it work to just move your aim until it goes from yellow to green or will you still be off line?

The game normally aims for the flag, you move the aim in order to get a green box, you certainly off line but now you can easily make your forward shot without problems, just be aware to where you are aiming at the end.

....All is relative and with some experience you can hit from the yellow box to a safe place somewhere ahead or even still aiming for the flag.

Good luck. Eric

micheldess:

Thank you Eric, you're kind

My second try was on the front 9 cabo,  i score 30 ans finish second, but then again cabo is an easy course, just have to be  precise and hit fairways and green not too difficult

I try today the best of par 4 ready go , miss some fairways and after miss some approachs, result, i score 41  (+5) long time i don't score so bad

We can see i have a lots  adjustement  and progress to make

Course management is crucial when playing UEL.......just like in reality!!. Plan your shot to fairway in order to get the less difficult lie...or better, to get the best lie for the next shot.
    Eric

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Sun, Nov 23 2014 1:05 AM

I've played loads of UL and have a good understanding of pretty much every aspect. I can't be bothered to write it all down here (maybe in my club forum) but if anyone wants a game I'll be happy to go a few rounds and explain it over a game.

My best advice is don't be a complete *** and quitter like a lot of apparently 'Legend' and even 'TL' tier players I've encountered who quit because they can't handle the ego bruising after getting a few shots wrong. If you don't succeed try again and have fun with it.

Don't just learn to play the fairway, learn the difficult lies. There's a lot to consider and remember.  

What I like about UL is it requires more judgement and consideration for each shot, much more like the real thing. There's also a lot more can go wrong which can also be a positive as it teaches players to learn how to play recovery shots.

EL can become fairly mundane and predictable after playing X amount of rounds over and over on the same courses. It then just becomes about who can hit the ding more (and make less mistakes on meter) than the other. Whereas in UL the lie really affects the shot so there's more possibilities which brings a lot more to the game.

A lot of players of all tiers don't like it basically because they suck at it because it is a lot harder. Unfortunately if you have that loser mentality you're not going to enjoy it but if you have the patience to learn and master UL it becomes more and more enjoyable.

I will add UL is a more complicated thought process and is really for the advanced player. I would recommend that all players try it but that all player gets to grips with EL first before going into UL. Once you have a handle on EL you're ready to try UL.

Unfortunately many players on WGT just play lots of rounds and fabricate conditions to drop their average and claim a tier which doesn't reflect their ability.

The true sign of a good player and one that actually deserves to be called a 'Legend' or 'Tour Legend' etc is a player that can show consistency in both EL and UL in ANY conditions.
    Enjoy.
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 7:13 AM

Hey PR,

I don't think I would have been as harsh on the top Tier players who reject UEL but I absolutely agree about the complexity and the satisfaction that UEL can give. One thing we read here are a lot are players saying ''I've hit that shot 1000 times. "  In UEL I haven't hit the same shot more than once. That's what I love about it. In UEL I feel I have to play entirely intuitively instead of robotically repeating what I did the last time I played a course. Doesn't always work out but the test in trying different shots "IMO" is more satisfying than worrying about results on the scorecard.

Keep having fun and satisfaction knocking it around uneven. :)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 7:33 AM

CerinoDevoti:

Hey PR,

I don't think I would have been as harsh on the top Tier players who reject UEL

Yeah

I'm sure if they could be bothered learning UELs then you'd be as far apart now, as you are on the flat ?

Andy

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 11:10 AM

alcaucin:

CerinoDevoti:

Hey PR,

I don't think I would have been as harsh on the top Tier players who reject UEL

Yeah

I'm sure if they could be bothered learning UELs then you'd be as far apart now, as you are on the flat ?

Andy

Trying to tell me something Andy?

RSS