Forums

Help › Forums

The Movie Thread

Fri, Mar 19 2021 4:00 AM (38 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 1:55 PM

Jacob's Ladder, Donnie Darko. More recently; The Great Wall,  and the BFG is a great movie.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 3:03 PM

YankeeJim:
    You can watch a whole season of a show uninterrupted at your own pace and the challenge becomes turning the dang thing off. Just one more episode........LOL

So true Jim. I can't tell you how many hours of sleep I've lost falling victim to binge watching.

The Netflix remake of House of Cards is incredible! As a fan of the original BBC version and not a fan of remakes...I will concede that Netflix nailed it. Kevin Spacey's portrayal of FU is spot on. If you haven't seen the original series, you should check it out.

Oddly enough, back in the day when I owned my own shop, I had a woman and her son as customers and the son went into acting and he starred/appeared in two of the shows you mentioned (Damages & Nikita). His name is Noah and he played Rose's husband/boyfriend (a doctor) in the first season of Damages. I don't know who he played in Nikita, as I haven't seen it.

Even stranger, about 15 years before all this, some weird, eccentric guy came to town and wanted to make some silly silent movie. I had always wanted to work on a film and got a job as a PA in the Props department and guess who was one of the actors in it...yep, Noah. It was one of his first roles and a terrible film.

We didn't realize the connection until years later when he and his Mom became customers at my shop. He and his Mom are were great customers and good people.

MC

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 3:28 PM

Small world, MC, I remember the doctor.

mrcaddie:
    If you haven't seen the original series, you should check it out.

I have almost started watching this several times but was always afraid of losing a lot to translation. Given our form of government came from the UK, I suspect it's really good but what do I know about the UK? Is that an issue watching it?

Nikita is worth watching because it's high tech with an interesting premise-covert ops on a grand, quasi-evil level.  ;-)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 3:35 PM

YankeeJim:
    on a grand, quasi-evil level.

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 3:55 PM

YankeeJim:

My favorite binges were House of Cards (Netflix original) and Sons of Anarchy. 

Some of the best ones I've viewed......

Nikita

Damages (

Gotham

Dang YJ, you left out Wentworth  (which I know we both watched) and The Ranch (Sam Elliot as the father is the definition of perfect casting.). 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 4:52 PM

Oy, totally forgot about Wentworth. One of the best ever endings in season 4. That was sooooo righteous to see her getting buried like that.  LOL

Heh, that's the problem to getting hooked on current series'. You can't resist binging when the next season comes out and then you immediately Google the next season because you couldn't resist and shot the wad in a week.  Next year. :-D

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 7:36 PM

Wentworth Season 5 is available on Netflix(US) now, how did I miss that?!?  

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 8:32 PM

"Cool hand Luke" What we have here, is failure to communicate." Space Oddesy 2001" pod bay doors. "Dirty Harry" do ya feel lucky punk ?

Doc :)

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 9:38 PM

YankeeJim:
    I have almost started watching this several times but was always afraid of losing a lot to translation. Given our form of government came from the UK, I suspect it's really good but what do I know about the UK? Is that an issue watching it?

I don't think so Jim.

I watched it almost 15 years ago and knew nothing about British politics, but the show did a pretty good job of breaking everything down and explaining things.

When I read that Netflix was going to do a remake I thought there was no way in heck they would ever come close to the original. But you know what...they did. The story line is exactly the same...female reporter that meets an untimely demise (check), the upcoming, young politician with the drug/alcohol problem (check).

Ian Richardson (as Francis Urquhart, the Chief Whip) is brilliant. He's just as slimy as Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood.

You might be a little tainted from watching the updated version, as the original series is almost 30 year old, but I'd be interested to know if you check it out and what you think.

I can remember watching the original series and Ian Richardson breaking the fourth wall for the first time and I thought...what the heck am I watching. He was brilliant.

Here's a clip-

MC

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 1:09 AM

mrcaddie:
    Thank you all so much for the incredible recommendations you've made over the past four and a half years...it's great to know there are so many film lovers out there.

LMAO more replies than the number of years sitting dormant now!

Some greats mentioned, including re jogging my memory of 12 Angry Men - a stunning movie built on performances.....no fancy special effects.

Shawshank.....one of my all time favs

I would add The Deer Hinter to that mix....haunting

Heck I will even throw Citizen Kane into the mix...

Jim is right, Netflix and other services have changed the way we watch movies......heck I seldom go to the cinema now.....

I used to go all the time when I lived in Singapore....cheap and respite from the heat......downside the movies were cut to shreds, but at least it was cool in the cinema lol.

RSS