Forums

Help › Forums

Understanding Wind, Precision & Forgiveness

Wed, Aug 11 2021 5:16 PM (40 replies)
  • SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:58 AM

Have you ever wondered why is it that  your shot can be dead on pin on one shot and other times completely off?  It's because the game is designed that way! Golfing on WGT is based upon mathematical algorithms that create everything from the shot to the ball roll out when it hits. Unlike real golf, mathematical algorithms have no variances. To create these variances WGT has employed such things as VEM, precision and forgiveness into the model to simulate or re-create those effects that every real golfer knows all too well that affect their shots.

The two factors that will affect your shot outcome the most are precision and forgiveness.  Each and every club on WGT has a 5 dot rating for each of these categories. Using the picture below let’s say that precision is left and right of the pin location and forgiveness is long or short of the pins location. While the exact distance that each dot represents is not known for this example let’s say that a club with zero dots on forgiveness and precision represents 20 feet for each circle.

During each and every shot these 2 circles overlap.  Each shot has multiple outcomes 1. You could be dead on with distance, but up to 20 feet left or right of the hole. 2. You could be dead the hole but 20 feet long or short of the hole. 3. You could be up to20 feet long and left of the hole…..4, 5, 6, etc. I think you get the point!.

Now, using the example below let’s say that each dot added to the club represents 2 feet. The more dots a club has the tighter the circle becomes.  If each dot represents 2 feet we now have reduced our circles from 20 feet down to 10 feet in our example.  I know there are some on here that believe that WGT or the game selectively goes after them individually, this is either pure arrogance or narcissistic at best.

As you can see, with precision and forgiveness coming in to play on each shot, it doesn't matter if we ding the shot or not these variables will always affect the shot. Like many of you I have on occasion missed the ding by a decent amount and still came up with a great shot as well as the complete opposite.  I am sure if each of you think back you have had the same happen to you. 

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:14 AM

Very nice SGTBilko.... only have one question. Are you a decedent of the Mayans? JK

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:19 AM

ZioMio:

Very nice SGTBilko.... only have one question. Are you a decedent of the Mayans? JK

lol

• walterjordan
    134 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:33 AM
    Take that Albert Einstein, better check your chit. Bilko all good with his......N1 B
  • SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:40 AM

Well, the main reason I wrote this is so often when people use the wind calculator I made they say it is off. Often it is not the calculation it is the games design..lol

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:14 AM

SGTBilko:

Well, the main reason I wrote this is so often when people use the wind calculator I made they say it is off. Often it is not the calculation it is the games design..lol

Calculator is spot on but the game not so very much.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:26 AM

SGTBilko:

.......when people use the wind calculator I made they say it is off.

Where does one get this calculator.... are there instruction on how to use it? TIA

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:41 AM
    This post has been deleted.
  • mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:56 AM

ZioMio:

Where does one get this calculator.... are there instruction on how to use it? TIA

Go here

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:15 AM

ZioMio:

SGTBilko:

.......when people use the wind calculator I made they say it is off.

Bilko's Putter Pal and Wind Calculator

RSS