Help › Forums

putting formula on tournament greens

Mon, Aug 2 2021 12:44 PM (42 replies)
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:39 AM

mantis0014:

eg;  15foot putt with 12 inches UP, = 19ft putt

for a Legend Tourney green divide 19 / 1.35 = 1.07 foot putt.

Hence the 1.80 putt ave :-))  (sorry Shrude, couldn't resist) ......Andy

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:41 AM

mantis0014:
    In Bold... is a bit confusing.

Youre right i stuffed up and will edit  my post

15foot putt with 12 inches up is = 27foot

I was mistakenly assuming the 12inches up was 12 ft

Thanks for correcting that Mantis!

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:44 AM

alcaucin:
    (sorry Shrude, couldn't resist) ......Andy

wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh  :)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 2:41 AM

SHRUDE:

mantis0014:
    In Bold... is a bit confusing.

Youre right i stuffed up and will edit  my post

15foot putt with 12 inches up is = 27foot

I was mistakenly assuming the 12inches up was 12 ft

Thanks for correcting that Mantis!

Your Welcome :)

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 2:48 AM

Rifle57:

Anyone know what the formula is for figuring out uphill and downhill putts on tourney greens. Talking about putts over say 15 feet with good amount of uphill or downhill. I thought it was something like distance (in feet) + amount of uphill or downhill (in feet) multiplied by .75 for tourney greens.  Ex. 36 foot putt with 23 inches uphill = 59 x .75 = 44.25. I must be wrong because it comes up way short. Some help would be appreciated. Thx.

My calculations for that exact scenario leave me with a putt distance of 49.17 ft not 44.25 ft

36+23 = 59 divide by 1.2 = 49.17 ft

imo the common theme of 1.3 factor for tourney greens will literally juuust get you to the hole, I prefer to allow for 1-2 ft past which is why I use 1.2 and not 1.3..

Personal choice I guess but it's also been working since I changed to doing it this way (My 3 putt % was over 6 a few weeks back it's now below 5 and dropping nicely)

I only use 1.3 on tourney greens if its steeply downhill and only then on certain courses, Oak/Oly 

Practice makes perfect and all courses/holes have subtle nuances which you might want to make notes about, it will all become imbedded in your brain soon enough, if you practice enough :-)

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 3:59 PM

After put on or take off for up or down I take 33% off down and 25% off for up. I legend and it work for me on legend tournament.

• GRAYDONAL
    29 Posts
    Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:56 AM

Wrong calculations mate! In your example the better way to do it is:

36 x .75.....for tourney greens   = 27            27+ 23 = 50  try this formula....

not perfect but at least you'll get closer?

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Sep 21 2013 5:10 AM

GRAYDONAL:

Wrong calculations mate! In your example the better way to do it is:

36 x .75.....for tourney greens   = 27            27+ 23 = 50  try this formula....

not perfect but at least you'll get closer?

I am sure the person figured it out, as you are replying to an 9 month old thread

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:46 AM

For the record, I am nothing great when it comes to putting.  :(

But as far as elevation -/+ inches,  something to consider is how gradual that elevation is or isn't. 

What I think I am meaning to say... lol  is,  even though it may show uphill 6 inches ( just an example) at which point in the putts line does it start to elevate? OR,  is there any point in the line that has a decline before it goes uphill. 

I like to drag the aim arrow from ball to cup on my intended line to see if it is a gradual elevation change or partly flat and then jumps up a few inches. 

To me, that is why a 15 foot putt uphill 5 inches may go long or short on another 15ft putt uphill 5 inches on a different green, or heck, even the same green but from a different part of the green.

• adtjoel
    124 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:55 AM

SHRUDE:

I do this;

Every inch up or down in elevation i add a foot for putting.
    Some putts show elevation at 2 - 3 feet. 2 feet is 24 inches. (24 feet)

Uphill I add an extra 1 or 2 ft.
    Downhill i dont.

1.3 for Tourney
    1.35 for Legend tourney ( any tourney green with a Legend playing)
    1.4 for Champ.

eg;  15foot putt with 12 inches UP, = 19ft  27ft putt

for a Legend Tourney green divide 19 / 1.35 = 1.07 foot putt.

Take into consideration any wind over 18.

Similar to this for me too. I usually divide by 1.4 though (on tourny greens, I am a Legend) and 1.5 for Champ. It helps if you know the course certain greens on certain courses are faster than others. Merion greens are in general very quick.

Sometimes if you are a long way off it may show 2 foot up/down and then if you move just a couple of inches further it shows 3 feet up/down which can make it extremely hard.

When it's a lot downhill of a lot uphill you will need to hit it softer or harder.

A good example is hole 3 on Merion, if you are near the back on the green and the pin in near the middle it's usually 2 ft downhill - I usually divide the distance by 1.8 or even as high as 2 and it does get there.

RSS