Forums

Help › Forums

putting formula on tournament greens

Mon, Aug 2 2021 12:44 PM (42 replies)
  • Rifle57
    71 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:44 AM

Anyone know what the formula is for figuring out uphill and downhill putts on tourney greens. Talking about putts over say 15 feet with good amount of uphill or downhill. I thought it was something like distance (in feet) + amount of uphill or downhill (in feet) multiplied by .75 for tourney greens.  Ex. 36 foot putt with 23 inches uphill = 59 x .75 = 44.25. I must be wrong because it comes up way short. Some help would be appreciated. Thx.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:16 PM

Rifle57:

Anyone know what the formula is for figuring out uphill and downhill putts on tourney greens. Talking about putts over say 15 feet with good amount of uphill or downhill. I thought it was something like distance (in feet) + amount of uphill or downhill (in feet) multiplied by .75 for tourney greens.  Ex. 36 foot putt with 23 inches uphill = 59 x .75 = 44.25. I must be wrong because it comes up way short. Some help would be appreciated. Thx.

Almost no formula will work all the time because they change the green speeds so often. 2 weeks ago they ran much slower than normal.Last week they were fairly close to normal again and it seems this week they are running much slower again. Just find what works for any given week and it might not work the next. Better to putt by feel.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:18 PM

Depends on what tournament greens you are putting on. The speeds do vary from day to day.

• Fubar057
    170 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:25 PM

that should work, i always add 1-2 extra ft. on uphill putts, rather be a little long than too short

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:02 PM

As a rule of thumb...... distance to pin, + or - elevation and divide by...

1.3 for tourney

1.4 Legend tourney

1.5 Champ greens

They'll get you close.

Andy

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:33 PM

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80998.aspx?PageIndex=1

there is a chart for yer putter ... goes great with putter pal.. 

add a tad if uphill to be sure ..

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:47 PM

On tourney greens, after you make the major adjustment (1.3 to 1.8) and the minor adjustment (1 foot per inch of elevation) then you need to make an addition adjustment, one more foot for each six inches of elevation. 

Consider these rules but don't take them as gospel.  I'm not a good putter.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:59 PM

alcaucin:

1.3 for tourney

1.4 Legend tourney

1.5 Champ greens

I do this;

Every inch up or down in elevation i add a foot for putting.
    Some putts show elevation at 2 - 3 feet. 2 feet is 24 inches. (24 feet)

Uphill I add an extra 1 or 2 ft.
    Downhill i dont.

1.3 for Tourney
    1.35 for Legend tourney ( any tourney green with a Legend playing)
    1.4 for Champ.

eg;  15foot putt with 12 inches UP, = 19ft  27ft putt

for a Legend Tourney green divide 19 / 1.35 = 1.07 foot putt.

Take into consideration any wind over 18.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:48 PM

Those formulas are all well and good (though I personally do the speed correction (- 30% for Tourney greens) on the basic displayed length, then adjust for elevation change, and finally add a 'safety factor' of 1.5 ft.

Why? Because (assuming WGT has the physics right!) green speed is a friction factor and only operates over the actual distance rolled; elevation changes, on the other hand equate to the 'gravity help' you get to subtract (for downhill putts) or the'gravity penalty' you need to add (for uphill putts)to raise that ball up x inches.

BUT! Those calculations assume a constant slope up or down to the hole. However, all bets are off if you're putting from a lower tier to an upper tier, or vice-versa.

For these cases, it's best to break the putt into 2 parts:

1. if going to an upper tier, figure what it'll take to get the ball up the hill to where it levels off; if going to a lower tier, what will it need to get the ball to the 'cliff-edge' of the down-slope? If the ball is going to break hard moving from one tier to the other, drag your aim point to the upper edge of the 'cliff' and a spot that you hope will allow your ball to end up close to the hole at the end of its roll.

2. Now figure the last part of getting the ball the rest of the way to the hole, and add the two results.

Note - if using the method above, only apply the 'safety factor' I referred to at the beginning once - to the step 1 calculation. Otherwise you'll blow by the hole.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:23 AM

SHRUDE:

alcaucin:

1.3 for tourney

1.4 Legend tourney

1.5 Champ greens

I do this;

Every inch up or down in elevation i add a foot for putting.
    Some putts show elevation at 2 - 3 feet. 2 feet is 24 inches. (24 feet)

Uphill I add an extra 1 or 2 ft.
    Downhill i dont.

1.3 for Tourney
    1.35 for Legend tourney ( any tourney green with a Legend playing)
    1.4 for Champ.

eg;  15foot putt with 12 inches UP, = 19ft putt

for a Legend Tourney green divide 19 / 1.35 = 1.07 foot putt.

Take into consideration any wind over 18.

In Bold... is a bit confusing....   Is it .... 15ft with 1up arrow or 12up arrow.

If its 15ft and 12up... then that's 27ft.

If it's 15 and 1up ....  then it's 16ft.

-Roger

RSS