Help › Forums

Pro Tier suggestion/request.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 9 2009 8:23 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2009 1:20 PM

I'm seeing alot of people only playing the front 9 or the back 9.  While I have no problem with that in the current 2 tiers, I think the scoring system for the next tier must be requisite on a full 18 hole score.  I'd say at the very least, to get a round recorded there would have to be a pairing of a front 9 score with a back 9 score, with all extraneous rounds of either front 9 or back 9 being disregarded as to overall average.  Even that is a dilution in my opinion since playing 18 holes at a time is a different entity entirely, but in the interest of compromise I'd be willing to accept it.  People really should be playing the full 18 holes anyway in this tier.  9 hole rounds are fine for Hack and Amateur, but at the Pro level and above we need to see full 18 hole rounds being recorded to be counted. 

Right now, there are only a few people who are playing 18 holes consistently enough to have their average representative of anything meaningful.  These are the people that should move up to the next tier.  In fact, I would make that a requirement for the Pro tier:  An average under a certain number based on full 18 hole rounds only.  I don't want to see exclusive 9 hole players in the top tiers of play.  9 holes can be fun, it's a quicker game to play, but the next tier should be for those players who are ready to compete at the next level, and in order to sort out the score padders/just-for-fun players from the top level players, we need to set a higher standard than just some easily attainable arbitrary average based on 9 holes of play.  We have 18 holes now, so let's start using them all as our reference to a scoring average.

• golfguy1800
    45 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2009 3:15 PM

I agree, but I also think that if you become Amatuer, then your average goes back up, then you would be a Hack again. Yes, i know it sounds a bit off, but you need to be good enough to be an Amatuer. I see too many Amatuers with averages in low to mid 70s (including myself). Call me a hipycrit, but it is just a suggestion.

GG1800

• jhoop
    10 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2009 3:34 PM

what about a handicap system playing a full round of 18 holes ? need another tier

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2009 4:29 PM

tibbs, i promise, when i get real irons, the ones that actually can be stopped on the green, i will play full 18:)

but i have 0 issues with your suggestions:)

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2009 8:47 PM

I would have no issues with this either (once I finally got good enough to move to a pro tier). The only reason I play primarily 9 holes is because I like to finish a ranked session and a lot of times I don't have the half hour or so to sit down and play the full 18. I could certainly do a front 9, back 9, front 9, back 9, etc. to get the 18 holes for ranking purposes, though. 

• vabighack
    463 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2009 9:22 PM

Their shoudl be some resolution for this ...I too made amateur and now have trouble shooting par.  I know the answer is get better eqpt. and practice but there are a lot of people out there who are in the same boat.  Don't make this a money thing. I enjoy playing but not playing bogie golf.  All this does is make players have 2 ID's...one amateur and one hack.  At least I think some do... 

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 1:42 AM

Hi All from Australia

I agree totally. I do think we need at least one more tier, and maybe even two. Sooner rather than later !!

Beginner, Hack, Amateur & Pro ??.

I have worked my way slowly up to amateur status, however I, and many more like me have absolutely no hope of competing with the top players. I'd like to think maybe one day - but not right now.

That would then allow players at the different tiers to have a chance of attaining a level of acheivement in keeping with their skills and the particular tier they are in. That would keep everyone interested, and knowing that they dont have to beat Tibbets & Co to achieve anything. No disrespect to those guys, but they are in a league all of their own - the PRO Tier.

Anyway thats my two penny worth.

Love the game.

See you on the course

Cheers

Doug

• SilverMule
    3 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 8:08 AM

I like the 18 hole suggestion, but I think you should get a proficiency bonus in your use of clubs, putting, driving distance as you gain tiers.

• vabighack
    463 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 8:57 AM

Is there a possibility of having 3 tiers.  Maybe  hack class down to about 75, amateur from 69 thru 74.  Anyone below 69 could be a pro.  What ever. Something needs to be changed.  And someone of authority please answer this.  So many of our, the players, questions  go unanswered!!!  Thank you.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 1:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We do not currently have plans to base tier advancement on the full 18 score. The Pro tier is coming soon, and will be difficult enough to reach without having it based on full 18 scores.

• PAGES
RSS