Forums

Help › Forums

can you give the ball a back spin? how?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 9 2009 2:06 AM (3 replies)
  • mickeyalvaro
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 2 2009 7:25 PM

ive had times were i hit the ball behind the hole an hoped for some spin but it never comes. is there no way or is there?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Apr 3 2009 11:31 AM

Hi mickey and welcome...

Up  until this last (otherwise awesome) update, you simply pulled the green dot on the ball down to impart backspin, up for topspin...

But with the update came considerably faster greens where the full backspin will only give you 20' of forward roll as opposed to 40' hitting it center.  Oh, and don't even think about an approach with any topspin or you will suffer a lost ball penalty... (and that's with a 10' CHIP!)

My advice?  (Advice is free and you get what you pay for!) ... play the approaches with a lot of forward roll.

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Fri, Apr 3 2009 6:44 PM

My take on this is a little different. Putting that dot low on the ball WILL impart backspin. It's just that the latest update made the amount of spin imparted on the ball a lot less, so there is more roll on the shots. Of course, a higher lofted club will have less roll than a lower lofted club (ie PW will roll less than a 5i). So even though there's more roll, you're still probably better off putting the backspin on for approach shots. Maybe adjust a little for the roll and aim for 5 yards shorter than you normally would.

Also, keep in mind elevation changes will affect the roll (Wolf Creek really shows this). If your shot is uphill, you will get more roll as the point the ball hits the ground is higher in the arc when the ball has more forward momentum. Downhill shots will have less roll as the friction of the air reduces the forward momentum the more the ball is in the air (Wolf Creek, again, shows this, as one of the shots is hit with the driver or 3w and has a 50' plus elevation drop, and the ball has almost no roll once it hits the green).

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2009 2:06 AM

No if you mean backing the ball up. As others have said you can put backspin on the ball by lowering the red mark.( There is a tutorial on this  http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/441.aspx) Maybe it puts a higher arc to the ball as to backspin.I was reading mosherki comment as to elevation as I agree to the first part of the ball hitting higher in the arc and rolling more. But if you are elevated high enough would'nt your shot technically arc out for lack of a better term to where it would actually start  falling straight down ? Resistance wouldnt really effect ball there. It would be like dropping a ball out a window. Plunk... stop.  I never made it to geometry so im guessing here  :)      Great game

RSS