Forums

Help › Forums

advice for watching at Medinah

Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:08 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:06 PM

I'm hoping some fellow WGT-ers might be able to offer some advice about watching golf at Medinah. I was fortunate enough to get drawn for tickets to the Ryder Cup and am seeking some advice about the best vantage points to watch multiple shots/holes..etc.  We'll wander around some, but would like to settle on a couple of good watching spots around the course. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks.

• FamousBeef
    271 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 2:15 AM

i dunno, way back in the day, i lived very near medinah. I only over saw it from route 53 (to the east) or from the narrow 2 lane medinah road (to the west)

maybe try google maps for an overhead and once your are there grab a score card to see where u can best sit yourself?

I never could figure out what the fuss about that place was, lol. Addison, Ill is pretty much an armpit.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:06 PM

Ducati916:

I'm hoping some fellow WGT-ers might be able to offer some advice about watching golf at Medinah. I was fortunate enough to get drawn for tickets to the Ryder Cup and am seeking some advice about the best vantage points to watch multiple shots/holes..etc.  We'll wander around some, but would like to settle on a couple of good watching spots around the course. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks.

I hope you've looked at the official website. There's a spectator guide that might be helpful to you. I noticed that the 15th hole has been shorted to make it drivable. There's a spectator option right there. Hope you enjoy the trip and the matches.

Site Home---> http://www.rydercup.com/2012/usa/index.cfm

Spectator Guide pdf ---> http://www.rydercup.com/2012/usa/event/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=26679

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:23 PM

CerinoDevoti:

Ducati916:

Thanks.

I hope you've looked at the official website. There's a spectator guide that might be helpful to you. I noticed that the 15th hole has been shorted to make it drivable. There's a spectator option right there. Hope you enjoy the trip and the matches.

Site Home---> http://www.rydercup.com/2012/usa/index.cfm

Spectator Guide pdf ---> http://www.rydercup.com/2012/usa/event/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=26679

Thanks Cerino...I did see the site and saw that the 15th might be a great hole to see, and also a very crowded spot. I also loooked at an overhead view to learn the layout of the holes...but was still hoping for a little "local knowledge" as well...can't wait for the matches.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 6:13 PM

Remember, it's match play, and there aren't that many guys playing... at a regular PGA event you can sit in one spot for hours and hours and see tons of golf; not so much at the Ryder Cup. Also, a lot of matches won't even make it to the 16th, 17th, 18th... I would count on having to do some walking to follow the action.

• Slowwedge
    143 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 10:34 AM

I would walk with Phil Mickelson.

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:20 PM

Slowwedge:

He does have a nice set of moobs doesn't he.....

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:00 PM

Ducati916:

Slowwedge:

He does have a nice set of moobs doesn't he.....

Lol. ;-)

Up the thread it was mentioned that with only a limited amount of groups out at a time that the crowds are going to be pretty think around whoever is out there. I've only been to regular Tour events and never thought about how the crowds would be moving at this type event. Sage advice IMO and now I haven't any idea of what I could reccomend other than having sharp elbows and pushing your way into sightlines.

Do us a favor and write up a little piece about your trip when you get back please?

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:49 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    Do us a favor and write up a little piece about your trip when you get back please?

Yup..inc beer prices etc..Andy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:37 AM

Look up MrRenn. He was the Open winner last year that got to do it at Olympic this year. 

• PAGES
RSS