Help › Forums

Putting. It's tough.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 28 2009 1:28 PM (3 replies)
  • jackaaron
    1 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2009 6:39 PM

Understatement right?

The putting in this game is really difficult for me.  I'm just wondering if the learning curve is really as large as I perceive it to be. 

I've watched the Youtube tutorial, and although that was helpful, I'm still not doing something right. 

I can easily two putt from four feet away.  Yet, occasionally I'll luckily sink a fifteen footer (and really, it's sheer luck). 

I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem, what you did, if there's something I'm missing, and if there's a way to "practice" only putting on this application. 

Lastly, this is hands down the best, and funnest online golf game.  I've told many others, and I really hope this site grows.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2009 7:13 PM

Reference to Nivlacs post

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx 

Hope maybe this can help.

Enjoy your play

Mike

• jbowles824
    67 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 1:23 PM

Please be aware that there are cases where the wind is actually having an effect on putting. I have been playing the ocean course and last night I had one hole where I was putting from 6 feet for par and had a triple bogey, another hole where I was putting from 7 feet for par and had a double bogey, then two holes later was putting for birdie from 10 feet and had a triple bogey. The line and speed were correct and the only other factor was high winds.

I am not complaining about it, only pointing it out. This is a "Ocean Course" and as such it would seem logical that wind swept greens will be fast and blowing winds will have some effect on a putt. Given the greens which appear to be anything but flat, I could see how high winds could push a ball off line. Those who say any different have never played in Enland, Ireland or Scotland. Winds can and do effect not only ball flight, but in a lot of cases putts also.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 1:28 PM

Winds at 35 or 40mph with gusts of 50, perhaps.

Not at 6.

http://rumpointe.com/ <--- play this course if you ever get the chance

I worked at that place for a couple of years when I was younger.  You can see from the pictures on their website how that course is right on the bay.  The Atlantic is only a few miles away.  I would regularly play in 20mph winds there that would have no noticable effect on my putting.

RSS