Game Playing Etiquette

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 16 2010 8:08 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 6:41 AM

Hi All,

I dont know about everyone else but I am getting very annoyed by the amount of people who join you or you join for a round and after they have had 2 bad holes disappear without saying anything.

If you want to break off the game then fine but please have the decency to say 'Look Ive had enough and am going now' instead of leaving people hanging around wandering what is happening.

Would it be worth starting up a name and shame wall over this to deter people.

Tall Paul

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 12:04 PM

Absolutely agree, Paul.

Drives me mad when people just disappear without a word of explanation. If I'm having a shocker I always play up to the last green and then tell my co-players that I'm going, and thank them for the round.

It's common decency!

Sean

• Mainiack
    79 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 3:37 PM

i have 166 names on my quitters list, this list contains players that have quit against me 1 time or more for whatever reason. i also have another list of the most habitual quitters, fortunately there is less than 30 names on that list.

Don't get me wrong there is a bunch off people that have never quit in a multiplayer game with me and that i have played multiple times and they always accept their score and putt out on the 9th. These are the people i seek out to play against.

Quitting a game to avoid posting a score you don't like is cheating in my opinion, padding your average : this is another method of sandbagging

I've never seen this many quitters in any game and i have been participating in multiplayer golf dating back to the days of ms golf 99. i have decided it is because there isn't a ladder for this game to post scores for reward of recognition by way of a ranking system from the top player to the lowest player.

As it stands within wgt there is only top 10 for amateurs and a top 10 for hacks and that seems to mean anything goes to get to those 10 positions on each tier and i would suppose that as new tiers are added it will continue in the same fashion. there is no penalty for lack of ethics. dishonesty should always be punished.

ok , i'm done, ty for posting this topic so i could rant just alitle

• BleedMarshall
    26 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 5:45 PM

I have yet to play in a group, and I have not due to my embarassing scores! Hahaha! Seriously though...quitting due to a bad round is bad form, and though it is just that, there is nothing we can do but pass around the lists those of you have. I could understand if say your connection was lost for whatever reason, but I am sure there is a way to inform someone of what happened if that is the case. But just like any online game we are going to have to deal with some bad apples that take a game way to serious.

• dacsyr1
    26 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:29 PM

We all know who is the biggest culpret is...  don't we? lol Lets just say he was a no show for the April match play tourney.  lol

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:35 PM

I agree, disconnecting on #3 with no reason is bad form.   However, I think it could be argued that being a scoring nazi is taking the game way too seriously.  I could personally care less what anyone's scoring average is.

I mean, we should totally judge someone's character based solely upon whether they putt out on #18, right? 

Forget personalities and all that nonsense.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:41 PM

Calm down guys!!

I dont care if people want to ahve a nice relaxed game and not bother about the score. Whats a pain is when you play 4 holes with someone and they have a bad hole and disappear without even saying , sorry mate ive had enough. Were all playing for fun ultimatley arent we?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:45 PM

I'm calm. :)  My only point here is that too many folks lose focus as to why we're here in the first place.

Way too much emphasis is placed on scoring average, to the point where people will judge a person's character based solely on their playing habits.  That's a ridiculous way to put a barrier between yourself and everyone else.

Personally, I'm always up for a game with anyone, so long as you don't mind if I don't always putt out on the last hole.  Unfortunately, I (and others) stay set to NO ONE most of the time because we just don't feel like being bitched at. 

Make all the lists you want.  Call me a cheater with a padded average, whatever.   I could really care less.  Just make sure you suck it up real good when this "cheater" with a "padded" average beats you by multiple strokes in just about every single-play stroke tournament event there is.

That's probably the greatest shame of all, because I know there are a lot of people out there I'd enjoy hanging with and sharing some game play tips with.

Ultimately, I've decided that having friends to play with is more important than constant competition.  What will everyone else decide?

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:52 PM

I agreed totally, all I am talking about is basic respect for other peoples time. Time is precious and i dont want to waste it with someone who doesnt give a f*** about anyone else.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:57 PM

Well, of course I can't speak for others but I'll never bail after the 2nd or 3rd hole.  I'll play out the 9 and then stuff my last putt inside yours so you can finish up before I go.

Some of us know how to be courteous about it. :)

• PAGES
RSS