Forums

Help › Forums

favourite performance by a golfer survey.

Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:34 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • viago
    44 Posts
    Fri, Jul 27 2012 4:46 AM

my personal favourite was angel cabrera when he won the masters at augusta in 2009.

i just loved his inconsistency and the way he just approached and hit the ball, no fannying around.

i would like to see what others feel was their highlight.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Fri, Jul 27 2012 10:36 AM

At 1:45 p.m., Palmer began his final round, seven strokes off the pace. On the first hole, he drove the green. And then he followed with seven of the most remarkable holes ever played in tournament golf.

• No.1 Par-4: Two putts for a birdie.
    • No.2 Par-4: 35-foot putt from the frings of the green; birdie.
    • No.3 Par-4: Approach shot to within a foot of the hole; birdie.
    • No.4 Par-4: 18-foot putt; birdie.
    • No.5 Par-5: Recovered from a tee shot in the rough; par.
    • No.6 Par-3: 25-foot putt; birdie.
    • No.7 Par-4: Wedge shot to within six feet of the hole; birdie.

Arnold Palmers final round at the 1960 U.S. Open at Cherry Hills. That's been my fav for many years.

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:30 PM

my favorite/most memorable would have to be faldo winning at the master's i think 1996, greg norman had a 6 stroke lead going into final round but he crumbled. That 1 day of golf is what got me hooked on the sport aged maybe 14 or 15.

Another favourite performance would be paul mc ginley at the ryder cup, when he sunk that 12 footer to give sam torrance's boy's the win. If he missed, i believe i'm right in saying the Americans were destined to take the cup back.

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Fri, Jul 27 2012 2:16 PM

John Daly at the 91 PGA Championship at Crooked Stick. 9th alternate, no practice rounds, and beats the field by three.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Jul 27 2012 3:08 PM

Pine Valley is rated the # 1 course in the world by Golf Magazine multiple years running.

This from Golf Magazine Sept. 2011 pg. 84-85:

"...Pine Valley. Its opening quintet...is an imposing medley of par 4s and 3s that demands deft shotmaking and sound decision making...

...1951. The year Philadelphia amateur J.Wood "Woodie" Platt began a round at Pine Valley birdie-eagle-ace-birdie. With the clubhouse just 12 paces from the fourth green, Platt opted to fortify himself before tackling the brutal par 3 5th. He never left the bar. 'Why go on?' he said later. 'I couldn't do any better- only worse'."

Awesome. 6 under after 4 and smart enough to stay in the bar. :)

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:44 PM

The Duel in the Sun  (1977 Open Championship), if I am allowed to pick a performance by two golfers since they were 10 shots ahead of everybody else.  And even if I am not, still has to be Watson's best.

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Sun, Jul 29 2012 2:55 PM

Nicklaus 86 Masters... Hands down the best considering his age, his history, and gravity of the situation..

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jul 29 2012 5:35 PM

Ken Venturi's win at the 1964 U.S. Open. A sick man, playing the last rounds under a doctor's care by special permission of the United States Golf Association and wracked by the tortures of heat exhaustion and dehydration, was struggling to hold his lead in the U.S. Open — and confronted with the longest course ever selected in the 69 years of Open play. 100 degrees playing not 1 but 2 18 hole rounds the final day. He was only allowed to play the final round if he agreed to be followed by the doctor with salt tablets and ice packs. This was before the day of Gator-ade and the like. Between rounds the doctor advised Venturi to withdraw saying to continue to play with his health the way it was could be fatal. It was up to then and still is the most valiant 2 rounds of golf ever. He could barely walk but played 2 of the greatest rounds in U.S Open history coming from 6 shots down at the start of the day to win by 4 shots.

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Jul 29 2012 7:30 PM

Tiger Woods

in the commercial... when he bounces,, dribbles,, whatever ya call it,,the ball off a wedge...

thru his  legs.. then hits it out of the air,,,

my jaw dropped... never 4 get it... :)

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2012 5:02 PM

2DAMFLASHY:

Tiger Woods

in the commercial... when he bounces,, dribbles,, whatever ya call it,,the ball off a wedge...

thru his  legs.. then hits it out of the air,,,

It took quite a few takes filming that, he could do the bounce / dribble every time - just missed or mishit the ball at the end several times.  Hitting a ball solidly out of the air with a wedge like that would take me all day - never mind that i can't do the dribble thing....

• PAGES
RSS