rated by 0 users
Mon, May 10 2010 10:15 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 10:34 AM

From ESPN....

ESPN:
    PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Tiger Woods withdrew from The Players Championship on Sunday with an injury that he fears might be a bulging disk in his upper back.

"I've been playing with a bad neck for about a month," Woods said.

After hitting his drive well to the right on the seventh hole, Woods called for an official. He hit his second shot and grimaced, then walked to the middle of the fairway to shake hands with playing partner Jason Bohn before leaving on a golf cart.

Woods had his head bowed for several minutes as he sat in front of his locker, and other times kept his eyes closed as if he were in the middle of a nap before answering questions from three reporters. At one point, he slammed his golf shoe to the ground.

"I've been playing through it," Woods said quietly. "I can't play through it anymore."

Right. Just like Michelle Wie WD from a tournament with a 'sore wrist' when she was about to lose her card for playing poorly.

Mediocre golf and a mystery injury just now reported?  Uh huh.

I guess if that's path he wants to take, new injuries et al, we'll just have to believe him.

Sad.  Very very sad.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 11:22 AM

Snaike:

Sad.  Very very sad.

Indeed it is.

Before all of 'this' happened he was such an amazing golfer, but more importantly a role model. Unfortunately I've lost all respect for him. Quitting in the middle of a round because you're simply not playing up to expectations is simply BS.

Is this really the same guy who won a US Open on a bum knee? Doesn't seem like it...  C'mon Tiger!!

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 11:24 AM

so much for his being mentally tougher than all other golfers. maybe these golf pundits will ask the tough questions now. slippery steriod/hgh doctor from canada, chasing skanks all over the world, and now flat out jaking an injury. good god enough of this garbage, there are plenty of great guys and stories in golf, can we focus on some of these instead of 24/7 tigervision. JB

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 12:04 PM

jbenny11:
    so much for his being mentally tougher than all other golfers. maybe these golf pundits will ask the tough questions now. slippery steriod/hgh doctor from canada, chasing skanks all over the world, and now flat out jaking an injury. good god enough of this garbage, there are plenty of great guys and stories in golf, can we focus on some of these instead of 24/7 tigervision. JB

If you really feel that way jbenny why didn't you start a post on the chances Westwood will win?  Instead you spent the 1st part of your post berating Tiger, and the second part saying can we focus on something else?  Make up your mind.

• ljbast
    943 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 4:10 PM

Not a big Tiger fan, not going to speculate about the WD, but I'm glad Tim Clark got a win. The little bulldog from Africa. Great to see. Feel bad for Westwood,  sorta.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 5:53 PM

Oh Tiger!

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 7:08 PM

Yeah he does great at the Masters, then barely cracks the top ten at Quail Hollow and then withdraws from the Players Tourney...oops that was Anthony Kim...

Nevermind...

Great players withdrawing has happened in the past (from Majors too)...

No story here in my book.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 8:41 PM

I agree Boffman.  A great golfer with a lot going on in his head.

Cheers

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 9:17 PM

Hi Guys,

WOW - this is certainly get Tiger week eh ? He pulls out of a tournament and everybody jumps on him!! Not surprising mind you

I am not going to comment either way, but hey - lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Having had two (2) back operations I can speak from experience, and I can assure you - it is very debilitating and you certainly cant play golf thats for sure. It ended my golf playing days I'm afraid.

Just look at Freddie Couples - great player, but once he got that  back problem he's never really been the same. Oh yeh - you never get rid of it either.

So - give the guy a break. OK -  he's stuffed up big time and hes got some issues to sort out. Hopefully he can get back, because on his day - nobody can beat him.

jmo

Cheers

Doug

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 11:28 PM

dorkfeatures:
    Having had two (2) back operations I can speak from experience, and I can assure you - it is very debilitating and you certainly cant play golf thats for sure.
    I am not disagreeing with you, Doug.  I, too, have a back that is not in optimum condition.

My point is that with Tigervision all over everything he does and says, why are we only hearing about this bad neck/back during a mediocre round?  His knee was front page news, TV doctors had made entire segments/shows on what was up with his knee before, during and after his surgery...  This is Tiger Woods we're talking about here... hell, the Golf Channel has to go to a special report every time he takes a dump.

Just try to watch them for 10 minutes and see how many times his name is mentioned.

Just like M.Wie's wrist, the timing and circumstances are highly suspect.

dorkfeatures:
    because on his day - nobody can beat him.
    The sad part about that statement is that it seems his day is over as it stands right now.

• PAGES
RSS