Help › Forums

A fine medium

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 14 2009 8:33 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Jarid
    31 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 12:38 PM

First of all, i really appreciate the speed at which you fixed the latest version...it was very extreme. I'm finally not pulling my hair out anymore.

But, and i may get slaughtered for saying this "I think it may be too easy now" I know several players who feel the same.

I dont understand how your going to be able to sell upgraded clubs when these clubs are so accurate and forgving. Sure there is some random variance going on, but nothing like before and certainly not as predictable...but it isn't even that big of deal with such forgiving clubs.

My suggestion would be right in the middle of the latest two versions.  But a new hacker on his best day shouldn't be able to fire 32's and average amatuers posting 30's....

Just my thoughts....I do love this game.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 12:52 PM

Heretic!!

No, I'm just kidding, I was actually waiting for someone to bring this up.  It may be due to the fact that we're at a mid-point here between introducing new clubs/irons, stronger winds and back tees, but the game is definitely playing way easier than it was before.  That's evident by looking at the tournament leaderboards.

Before the update, a 32 was decent, a 31 was most likely top 3 and anything below that was phenomenal and would most likely win the tournament.  On average, maybe 1 or 2 people would shoot 30 or below for the entire month.

We're only 4 days into March's tournaments and just about every single leaderboard is topped with either a 30 or a 29.  There's even a tie for 29 in the Week 11 stroke play. 

I thought the score distribution was more realistic before.  Now, we're bordering on fantasy slightly.  Thoughts?

• Jeremiah2L
    28 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:09 PM

I agree.  It seems a little easy.  If i could putt at all i'd put up low numbers...but i can't putt for anything.  How some people have mastered the putting so well is beyond me.

As far as ball striking..I would like to see the lower level clubs have the forgiveness but not where a big miss can be a great shot.  To many big misses have forgiveness now. I have crinched a few times in the closest to the pin when I was trying to hit it off target a bit and just shanked it..only to see it fly towards the pin. A bad shot should still be a bad shot, a near miss just shouldn't be that bad.

Also, with club upgrades PLEASE tell me there will be some workability in the higher priced clubs.  Releasing better irons without workability to draw and fade would be an insult to the game of golf.

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:27 PM

I also thought it was too easy (especially putting). But is it back to normal today? It may just be an off day for me or Friday the 13th but after playing today I think wind comes into play on some of the holes now and the hard breaking 2.5 foot putts are back.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:38 PM

Still the same as far as version number goes.  1.25.93 was the upgrade that fixed the mishit problem.  1.25.94 changed the chipping/pitches distances and I think made the wind slightly relevant.

We're still on 1.25.94 today.

• dmace2
    44 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:41 PM

With all due respect, nivlac, I believe the first fix v. was 1.25.89, and as I recall that's still what it was yesterday.  Today it's 1.25.94.  Haven't played enough yet to see how different it is, but just looked at the v. number.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 2:16 PM

1.25.93 (the mishit fix) was introduced on the 10th at 5am (I know, I was there :D), which was the same day that the monthly tournaments started.  That version prompted this thread: http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/1110.aspx

1.25.94 landed about 36-48 hours ago. 

Before 1.25.93 I wasn't really paying attention, but these two I know for sure.

We need an official changelog post.  Even if the slighest thing changes, you guys (WGT) should let us know about it.

• dmace2
    44 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 3:23 PM

Okay, my bad, I bow to your having been present :) 

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 6:54 PM

I may be in the minority here, but I don't see it as that much easier. Where's it's easier is for the average hack, no offense. They don't have the wind, roll, chipping, etc. they have to read. Most of the good players knew how to read such things, but now that advantage is taken away. This is probably exactly the way WGT wants I would think. My average is about the same as it was before. You talk about low scores, sure, but look at those guys who did that and their other scores. It's one lucky round really. That's what the current system lends itself to. I've had more straight shots got off a little and more bad shots go straight in one week than I had in 3 months before.

• GolfproMike
    18 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 8:44 PM

Maybe more sounds of the golf course all you hear is hitting the ball and ball landing on the ground. Can the view be behind the ball not on the side or angle mostly to help putting. Looks like the ball does not roll just moves and looks like the golfers are just in HD pictures not realy on the course and more courses just two in game I know it is free. Thanks

• PAGES
RSS