Forums

Help › Forums

No Virtual Open Championship in 2012

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:53 AM (139 replies)
  • mrenn29
    380 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:45 PM

YankeeJim:

A few tournaments in place of a new course? Don't care how you paint that, that's a serious let down. Now we're down to 1 course a year. Lovely. Only 12 months to wait.

Good luck to all the sub 60 average players in those tournaments. Make sure you create lots of excitement for us on the sidelines so we don't fall asleep. Pffft.

You have any idea what is involved with bringing a new course to WGT? It's not easy,let alone all the time spent and restrictions that go along with it. At least they put together something in place of the open.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:48 PM

MisterWGT:

WGT Congressional Championship - Special tournament the week of 6/25 on Congressional

WGT St Andrews Championship - Special tournament the week of 7/16 on St Andrews

WGT Kiawah Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/6 on Kiawah--featuring brand new WGT hole locations on Kiawah

WGT Bethpage Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/20 on Bethpage

Stay tuned for more details on all these tournaments and prizes.

I wonder where WGT got that idea :)

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:49 PM

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:52 PM

Spot on YJ......

WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT,IF YOU KNEW IT WASNT GOING TO HAPPEN THEN WHY HAVNT YOU GONE TO ANOTHER COURSE TO COMPENSATE.

I READ ALL THE TIME ON HERE WHAT COURSE WGT MEMBERS WOULD LIKE TO SEE NEXT,MUST BE A 1000 SUGGESTIONS. YOU COULD HAVE CHOSEN ANY COURSE,IM SURE MY LOCAL WOULDNT HAVE STOOD IN YOUR WAY. DOESNT MATTER WHERE IT IS.

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:52 PM

Thanks WGT for putting something together in replacement for the open! :)

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:59 PM

You have any idea what is involved with bringing a new course to WGT?

No Mike they don't, thats why they open mouth and insert foot because they do not understand all the work involved. They need to sync the holes and whatnots?

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:00 PM

MisterWGT:

Greetings my fellow WGT players...

WGT regrets to announce that it will not be running the Virtual Open Championship this year, as we were not able to photograph and produce the Royal Lytham & St Annes course, as we’ve done in the past two years with the Royal St George's and St Andrews courses.

We're disappointed for all the WGT players out there, so in place of the 2012 Virtual Open Championship, WGT will be running a few special tournaments this summer that will coincide with real-world golf tournaments. As a special thank you to all our players, WGT will be giving away a variety of prizes in these tournaments to players of all different skill levels

Gutted.  Was really looking forward to RLSA.  Real links golf in high wind is my favourite form of the game.

Please please do all you can to get Muirfield onto WGT (full 18 strokeplay) next year as it's one of the most beautiful courses in the world and one where class players win (Els, Faldo, Watson, Trevino, Jack).

Royal Liverpool in 2014 would be good too.

More links please!!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:00 PM

WE're all spending a lot of money on here, WGT has increased its advertising way more than 100%, WGT has raised the price on everything. All in all, IM very disappointed, and yes gang, I know as MUCH AS ANY OF YOU what it takes to make a course. That's 1 of the reasons the scoring is so low. You can practice all these courses over and over again because there is very little variety. I think WGT is putting the cart before the horse. 

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:08 PM

YankeeJim:

A few tournaments in place of a new course? Don't care how you paint that, that's a serious let down. Now we're down to 1 course a year. Lovely. Only 12 months to wait.

Good luck to all the sub 60 average players in those tournaments. Make sure you create lots of excitement for us on the sidelines so we don't fall asleep. Pffft.

Absolutely, Jim, a very serious let down. And how long have they known they couldn't photograph Royal Lytham? Well over a year I would have to think so as to have arranged  the shoot in the spring or summer of last year. So, in the interim, wth the money that was to be expended shooting Lytham, why not arrange to shoot another course somewhere, anywhere else? One full HD course a year? Hell, yeah, that's disappointing. Sorry to rain on all that are aglow after the US Open but this news, to me, is jarring, to say the least. Also I feel a bit strung along about the advent of getting the new course and all the trappings of the Open. Admittedly, I shouldn't have taken it for granted it was coming but I, like most, did.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 2:09 PM

As much as i'd like to start the profanities about having no British Open this year.....maybe WGT could merge these 4 additional tournaments into one bracket titled " The Ultimate WGT Tour!"

4 different tournies..possibly 4 separate tourney winners.....but 1 overall WGT Summer Tour Champion. (person with lowest overall score)

I agree with mrenn......it takes a lot of work to put together a new course and even just having a WGT British Open round a replacement course wouldn't be the same.......so the alternative WGT has in the pipeline is pretty good.

I just wonder how the rumours started that WGT had photographed Royal Lythm & St Annes back in September last year.

Anyways...it ain't happening so we just have to get on with it.

tbe

RSS