Forums

Help › Forums

Newer top tiers

Wed, Jun 27 2012 11:33 AM (73 replies)
  • freezen4242
    7 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:16 AM

I have been playing here for about 10 months. I do enjoy the game as it is fun to play..I  Do  not like the Sandbagger  or any form of cheating as it just ruins the game for the rest of us who  come in here everyday to honestly play. I read the forum a lot just for the fact I don't have time to play a full round. I'm just able to read a blurb at a time. That being said, I have a solution for the new tier being thought of Once you reach past the Legend level or whatever the new tier will be named,  It needs to be a reflection of ones true ability and have a average of say 10 games. That way the scoring reflects the ability of the player at that time not what they shot 3 months ago. I do agree 100% the Average rating  in place now is flawed.  and should be called something else like a scoring index or  best average. I know the scoring averages  cause a lot of mud slinging by people calling the elite player averages ridiculously  unattainable. In  reality all its showing is the personal best of a player.I know there is no easy solution to this problem. But I do know  it can be corrected.

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 8:12 AM

genorb:
    The proposition of Dazza looks interesting. The question is who should enter these new tiers. If you create a tier with players that have an average below, let says, 57 then it is safe in my opinion to use the current average as a measure. Most, if not all, players in this group can be competitive.

This is where the idea of using a true average comes back in to play. Obviously doing this would make it easier for people to sandbag. So maybe only use a true average system for players once they have reached the first of the legend tiers. It would also be useful to implement something (no idea exactly what) that makes it lucrative for players to be in the highest tier, something beyond just the title of 'Champion' beside your name. Maybe a Champions League similar to the FedEx Cup to get that dusty Maserati off the showroom floor? And then similar to soccer, in between 'seasons', a certain percentage of the bottom of each top tier is relegated while a certain percentage of the top of lower top tiers is moved up... As is, the talent gap between the top and bottom legends is similar to the gap between a pro and a tour master.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 8:31 AM

The way I see it is as follows:

- WGT use the current average system to implement more tiers (most likely); you'll find there'll be a smallish number of the heaviest users of WGT who will in essence be penalised for playing too many rounds. Yes they know how to go low, but do they do that consistently enough to challenge the very best players. Will WGT potentially lose these longer term players if they no longer feel they can be competitive, often enough?

- By using the current average system, you'll find players who don't play that often but who are clearly a top, tier player (Fabien named one such player in one of his last posts and there are plenty others out there) will gain advantages over other players which would severely impact MP games for instance

- Reverting to the old style average for legends (where average fluctuates due to both good and bad rounds) could be a better option but could easily lead to sandbagging to prevent promotion to the new, higher tiers

WGT will always struggle to create a "true average" system (due to the fact people can withdraw on every tournament) but I'm sure they could come up with a better system than the current one which only sees your average going down which is obviously ridiculously unrealistic.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:16 PM

GlassMan27:

............So maybe only use a true average system for players once they have reached the first of the legend tiers. It would also be useful to implement something (no idea exactly what) that makes it lucrative for players to be in the highest tier, something beyond just the title of 'Champion' beside your name. Maybe a Champions League similar to the FedEx Cup to get that dusty Maserati off the showroom floor? And then similar to soccer, in between 'seasons', a certain percentage of the bottom of each top tier is relegated while a certain percentage of the top of lower top tiers is moved up... ................

:) see 5 days back for the same suggestion. back then i said only open to legend, but maybe open it to all

a golf tour with sponsored events, if their marketing dept. is any good they may be able to attract sponsors concurrent with the pga tour, even if not played on the same course.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:41 PM

get the average from all ranked rounds played by legends then make a new tier (Elite) with the lowest say 1000 making the move. this number never changes with only 1000 elite at all times. use the monthly ranked rounds to decide the bottom 100 over say 3 months they drop down to legend and the top 100 legends move up to the elite tier we then have a system where the top players play for better prizes and everyone gets a chance to join them if their good enough.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:49 PM

Would you anticipate sandbagging or would there actually not be an advantage because of the better prizes?

On the surface it looks like there wouldn't be a problem unless the Elite played harder conditions like TM vs Legend.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 3:08 PM

WGTadmin2:

It is true that everything is a trade off and the more players we have "paying/donating" the more we can put into the product.  WGT is not a huge corporation but a few folks who love building the game and some investors who believe in the vision. Every cent we have goes into trying to make the game better. Even when we try to "make more money"  it is so we can afford to build more features , pay the bills and grow the game.

So please help us make the product better, help us get more players and we can grow the game together.

Was this a pledge drive .......lol  

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 3:57 PM

I dont see how you would derive a true average for many players(including some of "the best") when the majority of their play is from ,ego boosting  closer tees.So deciphering who actually deserves to be in the "elite" division of players now takes on another problem.yes ?

Ranked rounds from the tips is the only average that should be taken into account in my opinion! Wish i had the time to do the SUN SAFE 5 or 6 times a day.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 4:39 PM

SPINO1:
    when the majority of their play is from ,ego boosting  closer tees

I don't think that's true....they may start the tourney a few times, but I'd be willing to bet the only scores they post are ones better than the previously posted score.

You can verify this through their score history. 

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 11:48 PM

Granted... But looking through the score histories of 2 or 3 of the top 25 its glaringly obvious.Im not denying that these guys have "game", we all know you still got to stick it close and still got to putt regardless of the tee setting.But when you break it down and see that 70% of games they've entered are from closer tees,it kinda makes me laugh.

Have a look your self the records dont lie !

RSS