Forums

Help › Forums

Resetting Averages, Stats, and Awards.

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 30 2009 3:48 PM (67 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 11:16 AM

Caven:

I would think if any hack has the ability to shoot a 29 or 30, pretty much at will, they would be able to do that up a bracket in a short time.

That's true but... the 2% (guess) of hacks that 'pad' their averages with bad scores would probably be 64-67 averages in the amateur tier (this is going by numbers before the last update) for quite a while until they figure out the nuances of the longer tees and longer approach shots.  If they sandbag, they are competing against true 69-73 averages, those who on a really good day could shoot say a 32 or 33 or even a 31 for a great round.  So it's much easier for them to place high and win a prize that is usually pretty close in value to a prize they wouldn't have any chance of winning until they adjust to the new distances.  Keep in mind also that most of these sandbaggers are multiple account holders, because they knew they couldn't compete in the next level up....

Hope I cleared it up this time. =)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 11:20 AM

Tier promotion shouldn't be based on a single static number.  Someone had suggested shuffling that "promotion" number around based on daily average scores.  That way the promotion number changes on a day to day basis and no one's really sure exactly where that line is drawn.

I think it would make it hard to sandbag if you didn't know where to stop.

I think the solution would be to carry 2 averages.  You'd have your regular stroke play average and you'd also have a tournament stroke play average.  Promotion could happen based on either score.

Now you can sandbag 39's all day after shooting 33 in the tourney.  It won't matter because you can't change your tournament average.  You would force people to throw tournaments just to keep from being promoted.  I think that works against the sandbaggers plan and should greatly cut down on the number of folks who try it.  How many folks are going to enter a tournament just to throw it?

The other suggestion would be to eliminate ranked exhibition rounds.  IMHO the only rounds that should ever count towards your average are tournament rounds anyway.

• Caven
    63 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 3:50 PM

Got it, thanks Lee.

Nivlac echos the thought of promoting from average or tournament scores, a good thought and a practical means to reduce any sandbagging.

Though I do not necesarially agree with counting only tournment rounds for an average.  There must be some challenge for people to play on a daily basis.

I, like nivlac, also would like to see various leaderboards; average score, tournament average, and a "world" ranking in some form as suggested prior.

So what has this debate brought for WGT to consider?

1.  Additional tier brackets

2.  Promotion to next tier on ranked average and/or tournament scores.

3.  Promotion to next tier on an unknowing (to members) varying average.

4.  Additional leaderboards of ranked average, tournament average, and an overall ranking system that penalizes for withdrawing and not getting regular ranked rounds in.

5.  Greater discrepancy of tournament prizes between tiers.

Ah, you want to get on this Alex by Monday?  Seriously, some good insight from your memebers for you folks at WGT to consider in the future.

All of this, I believe, will create a more competitive and truer experience.  Though it is pretty great now, it is to bad we must exert this energy for a few knuckleheads.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2009 12:34 PM

There really needs to be a penalty for quitting a multiplayer ranked game. It doesn't take rocket surgery (haha a joke) to figure out a lot of the top 10 ten amateurs are fakes. Where are your off games guys? A save every other day? Let’s see some realism and take .25 off your average every time you quit on the second hole just to save you fake score. You are only fooling yourselves.

• Caven
    63 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2009 8:56 PM

Kaslo, you do raise a concern that I've read many times about in these forums, quitting multiplayer games.  Possibly there should be some penalty for doing so as the vast community seems to want some action taken.  In my opinion this site's current challenge is toward shooting for average, until various leaderboards are established I imagine it will remain so.  In that case I do not think that multiplayer games should even enter the ranked average as not all players play multiplayer games, they are a head on contest between players.

In my view as long as this remains a shoot for average site, I do not wish to see anyone's mediocre play, as you are correct we all have average to poor rounds in us.  I want to see the best you can do.  Isn't that the challenge, to beat the best score?

You do not have to agree with me, and I would never tell you how you should play.  Play this site how you enjoy.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2009 10:31 AM

Thanks for all of your great ideas and suggestions. We are reading them, and we are working on solutions.

• driving
    51 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2009 12:20 PM

set it up so hack players can only win 4 times for prizes  i think if you shoot that good that your ready to move up if they want to stay at that level thats ok just no more tournaments can be entered

• BiRdyKiNg
    30 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2009 3:48 PM

I will say as far as seeding tourney's they should base scoring averages off of tourney's only......this would eliminate the sandbagger for the most part.

RSS