Forums

Help › Forums

Resetting Averages, Stats, and Awards.

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 30 2009 3:48 PM (67 replies)
  • BiRdyKiNg
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 11:17 AM

to SWBaker--yes my average changed with post.

To tibbets--fine ......reset stats BUT make it so every hole you play counts.....PERIOD...../quit means add 2 strokes......quit after 7 holes because your not on pace for a 30....count it.  Ooops.....3 putted on 6....count it.  If this happened then I would be in favor.   Some will argue......but, but, but the timer bar stuttered and it screwed me......SO what........is ever shot in real life under perfect conditions with exact results..nope...live with it.

I understand wanting to see if results of changes are working.......that is easily done with game feedback.....not neccesarily looking at someones stats......again...95% of all stats people have on here are skewed anyway.  I am sure you never /quit tho after results you didn't want on your "stats". 

Birdyking

PS--i can say my scoring average for accuacy challenges have never worked right.....been 300+ for 3 months now and I have only posted a cpl scores over 300 in that time period.....1 was on wolf creek yesterday.....and prolly 1-2 with the messed up Bali in the last couple......but prolly 40-50 scores much less with no change.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 12:36 PM

Not sure what the problem is Birdy, but it sounds like it belongs in one of the many other forum posts complaining about people ending rounds early.  That has nothing to do with resetting the scores right now.

Yes, bogeys and 3 putts are part of the game, and we have to deal with it.

So too is the issue of people leaving games early.  Deal with it.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 3:32 PM

Reset all the stats.

The current change is big enough to justify it.

• BiRdyKiNg
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2009 7:40 PM

no.... i am just saying you want stats reset so programmers and such can see if their updates and adjustments are working as intended.  I am saying 95% of all stats are skewed, and the real way to find out if things are working as intended is thru feedback,,,,not stats.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2009 6:24 AM

But it's not just for the programmers.... It's for those of us who do analyze statistic to improve our own game, and provide feedback to WGT about playability issues.  For example, with all the speed changes on the greens, new club lengths, new back 9, etc. The stat for Avg Distance to Pin under Approach shots is now useless to me based on the number of rounds that I already have logged. This was one of the biggest indicators that I used to improve my game... the better that number the shorter the putt on average.  I would really like to know where I stand now with the new updates!!

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2009 7:01 AM

I'll vote for resetting the stats; also get rid of "average score" and use "handicap index".

• tomab
    517 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2009 7:29 AM

Hi.

I have in this forum seen lots of complaints about stats.
    When you are new in the game you need to learn howto. As you get better you are stucked with your first 20 - 30 - or more bad rounds, and they will forewer corrupt your stats. I have seen users here that have made a new user to go round that problem, but that is stupid and is not what WGT may want. 

If the stats only counted the last xx rounds (maybe last 50?), then stats would be much more meaningfull for us. The # of rounds that counts may alternatively be a parameter the user can set for him/her -self. Personally I would prefere a fixed number so stats for different players can be compared.
    Or, as an alternative you clear the stats when the player change tier (from hack to amateur to ...).

A "clear" function is a third possibility.

Tom.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2009 7:58 AM

That's not really true Tomab.  20-30 bad rounds will only skew your stats if you don't record many scores total.  I've posted at least 30 bad rounds, especially during some of the changes made, and my stats are still quite high.  The difference is I've recorded almost 600 rounds, so even 30 bad rounds would only represent 5% of my total number of games played.  The other 95% more than make up for it.

The opposite of what you say is true.  After so many rounds recorded, the amount that the statistics change is miniscule.  I recorded at least 500 rounds with a driving average of 224yds, so in order for that # to go up to where my current driving average is(which is around 235yds with the new driver), I'll have to record another 500 rounds just to get that stat up above 230yds.  This is one reason why I'd like to see the statistics wiped clean, so we can all see how the new clubs, conditions, and holes are affecting our gameplay.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2009 8:03 AM

I also think the stats should be reset. 

In addition, I want to bring up the subject of 9 hole rounds and padding averages.  With the new release I think this is going to be a major issue, just look at the top 10 (it already is happening).   

Currently, 9 hole rounds are doubled and then added to your average.  I think we should re-evaluate this method.  I think we should move towards the USGA method. 

"Two nine-hole scores that combine to create an 18-hole score should be designated with the letter C. The combining of nine-hole scores may be any combination of nines, i.e., a front nine middle tee score combined with a front nine back tee score. This 9-hole score is retained within a players scoring record until it is older than the oldest 18-hole score in that record (best T-Score file excluded)."

Now this will make it a tad more difficult to pad your average.  To increase the difficulty to pad averages, I also think that in order to combine 9 hole scores they need to be in consecutive 9 hole rounds. This will not eliminate the padding of averages but I think it would make it far more difficult to do so.  Obviously, people can still quit rounds and not post scores but it does not eliminate the 9 hole rounds from scoring for people that don't have enough time for 18 holes.

Knowing that eventually they will increase the number of tiers, I think WGT should attempt to get a more accurate view of the playing averages of members, and I think this would eliminate some of the complaints we see regarding score padding and players averages.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2009 8:42 AM

Agreed.  Current top 10 have *1* round of 18 holes between them.  I have 19.  We're not even playing the same game.

RSS