Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 3D graphics card

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 16 2009 8:19 PM (9 replies)
  • Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:09 AM

This past weekend I've been playing ranked stroke play and my computer shuts down. No warning, no other screen popping up before going blank, nothing. Just black. I can manuver the entire site, play tournaments and skill challenges and surf other sites without a hitch, so I'm scratching my head raw over this. Local computer personnel have told me I need to update my 3D graphics card (Windows XP), others have told me my computer is overheating (it would shut down on other sites too, don't you think?). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:35 AM

What do you mean by shut down?   The CPU actually turns itself off?

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:55 AM

Yes, it completely shuts off. Now, to update you, I've just finished another ranked stroke play round without a hitch, making me wonder if the time of day, internet traffic, and/or any debugging you guys might be doing has anything to do with this.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:59 AM

Does it only happen when playing here?

Overheating or a problem with your power supply would cause an immediate shutdown but, power supplies tend to die gradually over time meaning that your computer would be rebooting itself, not shutting down completely.  And that would happen anywhere, not just here.

The problem could be in your graphics card, so you should update drivers just to be on the safe side anyway.

Try this too:

Go to your Control Panel and open up Administrative Tools.  Click on Event Viewer.  Once that opens, click on the System tab at the left and look for any entries that are marked as error and are preceeded with a red X.  Try to find one that matches up to a time when your PC shut itself off.  Double click the error message and it should bring up a box that tells you what happened.  If you're not sure what the error means, tell me what it says and we'll try to figure it out.

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 11:06 AM

Yes, and only in ranked stroke play rounds. I usually turn the computer on first thing in the morning, and it runs until bedtime, and no matter how much or little I use it, it seems to run fine, no matter what the site. These occurances have only happened during the above times.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 11:08 AM

That sounds like a graphics card issue then.  The GPU might be going up or your CPU's power supply can't handle what it's requesting.  Do you play any other graphically intense games?

I edited my above post with a few more instructions.  Try those out and let's see if we can narrow it down a little more.

Also, if you don't see any relevant errors on the System tab, try looking under the Application tab instead.

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 11:12 AM

Found the error messages. All of the red X's correspond exactly to the times my computer shut off, and the messages all had to do with the computer trying to correspond with LIveUpdate, which is part of my anti-virus software.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 11:15 AM

Awesome.  Hopefully shutting that down fixes your problem.  Let us know if you have any other issues. :)

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 11:17 AM

Can't thank you enough for your help. I have enough reason for gray hair without having one of them being one of my very few outlets in life. Continued success.

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, Feb 16 2009 8:19 PM

LiveUpdate??? Freaking Norton!!!

RSS