• cindylee
    14 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:45 PM

it is not cheating!

it is just the loophole of this rule.

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 10:06 AM
    Phil announced that he was discontinuing using the old Ping wedges. He made the comment that he wanted the issue resolved and by bringing attention to it then the USGA / R&A would have to do something, don't know about that but hopefully a revised rule will be passed.
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:19 AM

TarheelsRule:
    Phil announced that he was discontinuing using the old Ping wedges. He made the comment that he wanted the issue resolved and by bringing attention to it then the USGA / R&A would have to do something, don't know about that but hopefully a revised rule will be passed.

Unless he said something today or yesterday that i didn't hear, I don't think he said he would never use it, he just aid he wouldn't use it this week.  I believe he's hoping that the increased attention will have them attend to closing the loophole.  If they haven't already, I believe execs from Karsten and the USGA and PGA are planning to meet this coming week to attempt to resolve it.

So, if the loophole isn't closed, I believe as it stands now, he has intentions of rebagging the 60W bent to 64 degrees.  That would be quite beneficial for him at Augusta National.  This controversy would certainly spiral that week if the loophole isn't closed by then.  Maybe we'll get Tiger's opinion on the matter by then.

Freddy Couples also added an Eye 2 wedge to his bag this week at Riviera.

• JtheC
    2 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 10:58 PM

Well I just read on Pgatour.com that the ping wedges wil no longer be used after solhiem said that he wavies the rights from the 1990 law suit.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 5:33 AM

JtheC:

Well I just read on Pgatour.com that the ping wedges wil no longer be used after solhiem said that he wavies the rights from the 1990 law suit.

This is correct and Ping conceded on the caveat that they would have a say in future PGA rule determinations on clubs. The wedges will be allowed at Pinehurst.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:11 PM

YankeeJim:

JtheC:

This is correct and Ping conceded on the caveat that they would have a say in future PGA rule determinations on clubs. The wedges will be allowed at Pinehurst.

YJ...That's not what Solheim or Finchem stated however CLICK HERE

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 5:00 AM

BOFFMEN:
    YJ...That's not what Solheim or Finchem stated

Q. John, can you just add your comments to that equipment forum, just how pleased you are about that?

SOLHEIM: I'm very pleased with it. I think it's an exciting step by the USGA, and I really look forward to participating.

What would the Ping exec be talking about then?

From the PGA rep...

"So I think that John's enthusiasm speaks to that kind of communication. I think the USGA recognizes that an institutionalized way to not just seek communication from individual aspects of golf but to have an interchange is very positive."

Interchange=input. Paraphrased it could be "say."

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:58 AM

Not a big deal to me YJ...but as stated... Ping 's waiving of the rights was between the PGA Tour and Ping...

The USGA and Ping is a totally separate matter, since they (USGA) administer the equipment rulemaking process of golf.

Therefore there was no Quid Pro Quo between the PGA Tour and Ping.

Ping did the right thing.

RSS